Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ronnie Myers

Hiss from preamp

Post by Ronnie Myers »

What can cause annoying hiss and noise from preamp
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

It would help to know what make and model preamp, tube or solid state or hybrid, and if you checked without an instrument plugged in.

Best I can do is take a guess.

The noise could be from having a gain setting too high, or an otherwise unbalanced gain stage-to-power stage situation. It could be from bad or wrong type of cabling, cheap worn out parts on the circuit board or a loose solder joint. In short, it’s a PITA that involves a process of elimination, unless you have a real pro in the room who can tell you in an instant that he knows what is causing that particular sound.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

"Hiss" can be caused by a bad tube, or a bad IC. If the circuit has discrete solid state components, it can also be a bad (leaky) transistor. It can also be exacerbated by poor circuit design, so it's important to know if the hiss has been there all along, or it's something new. As far as "noise", that's a pretty vague term, so you'll have to be more specific as to what kind of noise it is you're hearing.
Brandon Mills

Post by Brandon Mills »

Usually it’s caused by dirty power
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Hiss is present on some level even with the most high end tube pre amps you can buy. I’m not sure of the technical causes but it seems to be an essential part of all great sounding tube amps. Some have more and some have less. There seems to be a balance between hiss and sonic richness that is dialed in by the builder. Solid state and digital amps don’t have the same issue but they sound like solid state and digital amps...
Bob
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Bob Hoffnar wrote:Hiss is present on some level even with the most high end tube pre amps you can buy. I’m not sure of the technical causes but it seems to be an essential part of all great sounding tube amps.
The hiss you usually hear in a tube amp is actually the sound of electrons hitting the plates of the tubes! It's exacerbated by high gains, high voltages, and emphasis on high frequencies. But, some of the better tube gear can be almost dead-quiet. The negative feedback circuit used in many amps helps to reduce hiss and gain. Take the feedback resistor out of a Twin Reverb, and you'll get hiss galore, along with treble like you've never heard. :lol:
Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Is it a modern preamp or something decades old and the hiss always there and you just noticed it from using digital quiet devices?

I have a Korg A3 great sounding patches from back in the 80's but by today's standards, the hiss on the output is unbearable and can't be masked rendering it useless for modern recording and some live gig work.

ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Ezekiel 33:7