Sierra pedal steel

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Kurt Schrotenboer

Post by Kurt Schrotenboer »

If you are on the road performing for a living a late model Sierra is the way to go. You want to have a psg that stays in tune and doesn't break down, plays, feels and sounds the same in every venue.

Second ...if your like me you may want to play what your teacher has. In my case that's a Session S12 - Joe Wright. Hey if you can't handle the 12 strings then remove the 2 lower ones.

Machine head tuner looks ...pffft ...big deal ...go for the keyless ...because they will keep your psg in tune and don't wear out. Ask any 6 string electric player what is better and they will say the same. Machine head tuners all have the one flaw ...and that is the person who puts on the strings. There is a way to lock the string so it won't move ...after a bit of stretching. A keyless will not go out of tune if the clamps are tightened properly. Compare a Fender Strat with any guitar with a Floyd Rose bridge and you will find out that a string locking bridge and locking string nut is superior.

If you want to go for looks then use some lighter fluid and set your rig on fire and play it with your teeth. :lol:

-------------------------------------------------------------
If anyone has a under carriage diagram for the Sierra Session S12 and or good pictures of the bell cranks, pull rods and knee lever configuration please pm me ...also looking for spare parts - model SCM.12S.2115.99

Carvin JB200C
Ibanez Artist
Mackie 32/8
Boss BR1600
1971 Marshall Super Tremolo
ASCAP member
www.accordionkeyboardservice.com
John Booth

Can Anyone Identify This Sierra 12 String?

Post by John Booth »

Can someone identify this 12 string Sierra for me?

I was told it is an 81' model that was originally a universal but has been changed to a straight Emmons setup extended E9 with 3 & 5

Someone removed the decals.

I've heard the names Sierra Crowns, Sierra Sessions, etc..., but I don't know what this one is called.

Here are some pics and any help and information on this guitar will be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys,
John in Ohio

Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

That looks to be a keyed Crown Series S12 3x5.
Looks to be in good shape.
Looking at the endplate photo, it looks like a basic E9'th setup, (with possibly a lever that lowers string-6 and raises string-1).
I don't see any raise/lower rods for string-12, so I would ask if there are any other rods/linkage/hardware that goes with it.
I would also ask if there are any other pickups that go with it, as it appears to have Sierrs's modular pickup system.
You could always get the needed hardware to add more changes from Jim at Steel Guitar of North County.
You could play a alot of music on that steel.
I can't tell if there are 3 switches or not...it may have/had a built in distortion circuit switch, a 3-position pickup switch, and/or a tone knob/switch, as some Crown Series steels have/had.
Robert Leaman

Post by Robert Leaman »

After some years, I was able to obtain a keyless Sierra Session D10. It has 8 floor pedals and 7 knee levers. The setup is almost the same as Sierra's standard but with a few tweaks and compensations. The guitar plays easily, stays in tune, and doesn't break strings. At 84, I've thought about selling but even though I no longer play gigs, I can't bring myself to part with it.

The name stencil was damaged on a gig and was totally removed in this picture. However, David Wright helped me to obtain a new one from Sierra.

Here it is in its case with a Nashville 1000 loaded in my gig wagon.

David Wright

Post by David Wright »

Nice to see this back :D ...
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

The Sierra Crowns are great guitars! Sierra has nice machined aluminum knobs to replace the pesky, breakable (and painful!) plastic ones.
Jan Viljoen

Sierra S10

Post by Jan Viljoen »

Here is mine. I have posted it elsewhere some time ago, but I think it belongs here just as well.

I am the third owner, the other two rarely practised, so the machine is very little used.
I reckon it had less than 150 hours on the clock when I got it. Thats is about 3 months playing.
I only had to drive about 50 kms to get it.

It is a '92 model and plays well. I have another Wallace True Tone pickup. The latches on the case are still perfect.
So overall, a very decently designed playable pedal steel, still going strong.

Let the games begin.
:wink:
Sierra S10, Stage One, Gibson BR4, Framus, Guya 6&8, Hofner lap, Custom mandolins, Keilwerth sax.
Roland Cube 80XL, Peavey112-Valve King and Special, Marshall 100VS.
Gary LaForge

Post by Gary LaForge »

I hope no one minds me posting to this thread almost a year after the previous post. I retired recently and my research led me to this thread. I wanted to know how Harlow fit into the Sierra picture. I appreciate all the amazing info provided. Thanks.

Like at least one other member in this thread, I bought my Sierra from Blackie Taylor. He told me it was "the Cadillac of pedal steels". I should have bought a single E9. Never got past beginner on E9 and never learned anything on C6. As someone else pointed out, the beast is extremely heavy. I had to hoist it into the hatchback of my 77 Honda Civic for gigs - most of which were one-night-stands. I see some genius eventually figured out the cases should have wheels! :wink:

Image[/img]

1976 Sierra SD0-10
1972 Gibson Les Paul Custom
1973 Sigma GCS-6
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

beautiful butt kicking guitars....
Will Cowell

Post by Will Cowell »

Holy cow, Damir - your pics are always first rate, but that is one beautiful steel guitar!
Williams 700 series keyless U12,
Sierra keyless U14, Eezzee-Slide & BJS bars
Moth-eaten old Marshall 150 combo
Roland Cube 80XL, Peterson Strobo+HD,
EarthQuaker Despatch Master for reverb / delay
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

Will Cowell wrote:Holy cow, Damir - your pics are always first rate, but that is one beautiful steel guitar!
and this one was loaded, I believe it had 9 pedals and 9 knee levers, interesting enough, it didn't sell on the forum, but on eBay to some young dobro player who loved it, and bought it to play some experimental music... absolutely stunning guitar that was...
Derek Puckett

Post by Derek Puckett »

Does any one know when they changed from tuning key gearless to 3/16 hex. I'm also looking for a George l pick up for my 12 if anyone has one.
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

I think they made the change from keys to hex in the 84-85 era.
b0b

Post by b0b »

I don't think the hex tuners lasted very long. I bought a new Crown gearless in '82 and a Session gearless in '98 (approximate). The tuning head style had changed, but neither required a hex tool.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Charley Bond

Sierra Pedals Steels

Post by Charley Bond »

I'm gonna make this post because these guitars are better than absolutely great.

Yeah, they are on the heavy side, but a piano is heavier.

I guess that my 35 years in the world of precision at BOEING, made me a natural customer for a SIERRA Pedal Steel Guitar. Sierra makes a precision guitar.

My last one, the one I have now, was made in the late 70s, early 80s I think, because the legs go thru the cabinet adapters. It plays like a new one & looks like one too.

Yay for Sierra...

Last edited by Charley Bond on 11 Mar 2016 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

Had several Keyless U-12 guitars and liked them very much. Wish I had a chance to play a keyed Sierra. Had a nice variety of pickups to choose from and always found a comfortable pedal and knee lever adjustment.
John Russell

Sierra Steel

Post by John Russell »

I love my SD-12 and play it on gigs when possible. It plays and stays in tune, sounds great and is very precision-built instrument. Too bad they're out of production but I understand why. So many great instruments to choose from today and building and selling pedal steel guitars is a labor of love. Here's me and guitarist Rick McRae at a recent gig at the Broken Spoke. If you can find one, go for it--the prices are usually very reasonable as they're not collectible as PP Emmons guitars are--not yet anyway. You won't be disappointed. I think they are unique and cool looking. They don't look like every other guitar and they do have a quality about them that's obvious at a glance.

Dave Meis

Post by Dave Meis »

Gotta put mine up! :)

I also have an early/mid '60s (I think!) Sierra D-8 all cable pedal steel that I'm rebuilding. Love me some Sierra!
Laura Garson

Post by Laura Garson »

Hi Ive got a Sierra SN and love to play it but after I changed the strings out some of the pedals and knee lever s where untunable ??????? Can any one inform me of why this happened and what I can do?? I sure miss playing ,Any thoughts ? Thanks Laura :eek:
Laura Garson

Post by Laura Garson »

Hi Ive got a Sierra SN and love to play it but after I changed the strings out some of the pedals and knee lever s where untunable ??????? Can any one inform me of why this happened and what I can do?? I sure miss playing ,Any thoughts ? Thanks Laura :eek:
b0b

Post by b0b »

Different string gauges?
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Dennis Lee

Sierra

Post by Dennis Lee »

Here's an Olympic I picked up this summer!
Tom Pittman

Post by Tom Pittman »

I just traded for a Sierra S12 extended E9. Can anyone help me with any information as to age and model name? Also, what gauges would strings 11 and 12 be?
Photos coming soon.
Thanks
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

here's Tom's Sierra

1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Here is my Sierra 12 String lap steel. Absolutely gorgeous rich tone. Probably one of the best sounding laps I've ever owned. This is one of only two made. HowardR owns the other one.

Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc