R.L. (Tony) Lane passes

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Ben ODell

R.L. (Tony) Lane passes

Post by Ben ODell »

Can't say much more than is said below in his obituary.
R.L. or as most folks called him, "Tony Lane" has a very special place in my heart and it is an absolute honor to say, I was privileged to have the opportunity to share the stage with "Tony" so many times, so many places, so many years.
And to quote Doug Jernigan, R.L. was a MONSTER, SINGLE FINGER JAZZ PLAYER". All those beautiful chords, (played at the right time, the right way. Ah, but flip necks....he worked that E9th as well as anyone around.

Tony, being multi-talented also played lead guitar in my band and he had a very special touch and never.let me down over there with his Country Gentleman.

Farewell big buddy and give ole Dusty a big hug for me.
Gonna miss you Pal.

Roland Leonard Lane, Sr.

JANUARY 23, 1927 – JUNE 19, 2020

Obituary of Roland Leonard Lane, Sr.
Roland Leonard "RL" "Tony" Lane, Sr., age 93, of Eight Mile, Alabama passed away on Friday, June 19, 2020. Roland was born January 23, 1927 in Mobile, Alabama. He was a graduate of McGill Institute and a WWII Marine Corps Veteran. He was a Legendary Steel Guitar Player whose credits include: Alabama Jubilee WKRG, Friendly Variety WALA, Grand Ole Opry (Ryman) George Morgan Band, Doug Jernigan, Hank Williams, and Tennessee Ernie Ford. He also recorded with great names such as George Morgan, Red Foley, June Carter, Evelyn Night, Ken Marvin of Alonzo and Oscar and many more. Locally he was a member of Mobile Country Music Association, Last Call Band, Michael Blvd First Assembly of God, Fountain of Life, Bride of Christ Ministers. He is loved by his children, family, countless friends and fellow musicians.

Mr. Lane is survived by his daughters, Cindy (Jimmy) Herring, Damaris (Dan) Gonzalez; son, Tony (Kathy) Lane; adopted granddaughters, Rachel, Leah, and Tabitha Lane; grandchildren, Tammy (Scott) Allen, Wyatte (Ashlee) Golson, Heather (Mycel) Scott, Joanna Lane, Richard and Johnny Weaver, Rachel, Samantha, and Joseph Saxon, Ashley, Darrell and Rebecca Saxon; 50 great and great-great grandchildren; and caregivers and friends, Ashley and Allan Dunn.

He was preceded in death by his mother and father, Roland and Aretta Lane; step-mother, Dell Lane; wife, Edna Mae Lane; previous wife, June Stewart; daughter, Sandra Weaver; sons, Wendell, Van, and Darrell Saxon; and granddaughter, Tracie Weaver.

A visitation for Roland will be held Tuesday, June 23, 2020 from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. at Radney Funeral Home, 1200 Industrial Pkwy, Saraland, Alabama 36571. A celebration of life will occur Tuesday at 11:00 a.m. at the funeral home. Interment will follow at New Hope Baptist Church Cemetery, Mobile, Alabama.

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituar ... sr-9227789
Number 2 washtub, broom handle, and a strang
If it ain't got steel in it, It Ain't
Mike Headrick

Post by Mike Headrick »

I lived in Mobile at different times in the 70's and heard Tony play several times. My perception was that he was a flawless pro. I never forgot him through the years.
Danny Harrell

Post by Danny Harrell »

I will never forget the first time I met Mr. Tony. I played a Steel Show with my good friend Gary Moore close to Mobile AL. several years ago. Mr. Tony came in with that old Sho-Bud and sat next to me. Blew me away let me tell you. Super fast and such a great C6th player. I'll never forget the impression he left on me that night and how I went home scratching my head lol. He was a super nice guy and as good a player as I've ever seen. He will surely be missed. RIP Mr. Tony.