Acoustic guitar humidifiers

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Darryl Dunmore

Acoustic guitar humidifiers

Post by Darryl Dunmore »

I'm going to get humidifiers for my Weissenborn style guitars, and I'd like to get some recommendations from you guys. I have some questions - first of all, regarding soundhole humidifiers, is there the possibility of leakage? With soundhole humidifiers, would I have to store the guitar cases on their backs to avoid leakage? I live in a studio apartment and I don't have enough room to store guitars on their backs; they're all either resting on their sides or sitting straight upright on their lower bout. I'm leaning toward getting Herco humidifiers; they seem to be more forgiving about the position in which the guitar is stored. But a customer review on Amazon said that they shouldn't touch the guitar; I wonder if that means that just the top of the container from which the moisture dissipates shouldn't touch.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

I use the biggest Dampits available (marketed for string bass), saturate 'em in water, wring 'em out, towel 'em off, and dump 'em in the hole. Never had a problem.
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

Dampits work well, but if you have more than a few guitars/etc you can just put wet sponge, wrung out into a plastic jar with holes in the top,

and get a good hygrometer and backup batteries, they always seem to use hard to find watch batteries

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Travel-C ... B01FBWGUZ0
Last edited by Gene Tani on 22 May 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
Mike Auman

Post by Mike Auman »

I ended up with a whole-room solution to maintain humidity for multiple guitars at once. A small digital hygrometer to track humidity (Western Caliber IV or Inkbird ITH-10, $20 or so) and a room humidifier to keep humidity around 40% - 45% during the heating season. Seems to stay there by itself during the A/C season in Texas, but in moister climates, you might need a dehumidifier... Mike
Last edited by Mike Auman on 27 Aug 2020 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long-time guitar player now working on lap steel.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

I use Oasis humidifiers in all my acoustic instruments. They contain special absorbent crystals and need to be refilled about every 10 days while the heat is on. They work really well.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... humidifier
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Rich Gardner

Post by Rich Gardner »

I've used these for years. No problems ever.
Mark Mansueto

Post by Mark Mansueto »

I have a humidifier on my furnace and a dehumidifier for the times that my furnace/air conditioner aren't running. My house reads pretty consistently between 45-50 and my guitars are happy. No issues even with my 50 year old acoustic I've owned for over 40 years. The problem I have with guitar humidifiers is when you forget to keep them hydrated and guitars are affected