ISO: S10 Pedal Steel for Beginner

Post here if you're looking for something special
Kyle Sinkule

ISO: S10 Pedal Steel for Beginner

Post by Kyle Sinkule »

Hello,
New to the forum. I was sent here through a FB group that said this is the best place to inquire about steel guitars.
I come from a 6 string guitar background and also play drums/bass/keys, but PSG has always been my favorite instrument to listen to.
I was told that I need a 3x4 setup to learn on. I'm looking for a S10 E9 Emmons setup. My budget is $1500.

Not sure if anyone is local to me, but I'm in Abbott, TX, birthplace of Willie Nelson.
Thanks for any help!
Jim Devoe

Pedal Steel

Post by Jim Devoe »

Kyle, The information you were given is good advice. It is better to get a guitar already set up as you were informed. A lot of good people on Forum who are very helpful. Hopefully you can find something close in you area to save on shipping and save a little money. GOOD LUCK !
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

Use the search link above and read about Zums (from Doug Earnest), Fred Justice's, Mullen, GFI, Carters, others that might be in your budget if you can stretch to $2k, also ones to avoid. If you buy a good used one w/name brand and don't wreck it, you should be able to sell for maybe a little less than what you paid if you play it a lot.

If you read enough threads, alot of them recommend a Zum stage 1, which is how I started and second that rec.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... 13#2895513
Last edited by Gene Tani on 7 May 2020 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
Ronald Heinzel

Post by Ronald Heinzel »

I have a Sho-Bud Maverick, 3 & 1, maple with the case. Closet guitar, $750 plus shipping.
It’s 26 lbs in the case.
Emmons D10 LL, Mullen S-10 Quilter Steelaire Nashville 112, Gretsch White Falcon, USA Strat & Tele, 68 Hummingbird, Taylor 410 CE, AcoustasonicJr. Blues Jr.
Hunter Jones

Post by Hunter Jones »

I have a Carter Starter 3x4 I was hoping to unload. It's a little controversial on this forum and does indeed have the famous lkl issues that have been discussed at length elsewhere on here. Supposedly it's an easy fix but I don't use that knee lever often enough to have bothered. That said, it's been good to me and a lot of fun to learn on. PM me for pics. I'm not sure on pricing either but it would surely be under $1k plus shipping.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

OK, I'm gonna be blunt. IMHO, if you have $1500 to spend, don't screw around with old starter guitars. As pedal steels, they are marginal at best. Yes, you can learn the rudiments on them, but why not start with a professional level instrument, or at least a solid, modern, entry-level instrument?

For $1000-1800, I have seen, on this forum fairly recently, professional model BMI, MSA, Dekley, and even professional-grade Carter or Magnum (made by Carter) guitars in either S10 (single-neck/single-body) or SD10 (single-neck/double-body) formats in good condition. Geez, even nice 70s pro-level Sho Buds. A new ZumSteel Stage One is definitely within your budget, and you might even be able to find a used Zum Encore (next level up) S10 in the upper region of that general range. Get a good one of any of these and you can go a long time without ever needing another guitar.

The key here is to be patient and get sound advice and, ideally, some help in evaluating any specific guitar from someone who really knows what they are talking about. Get a dog and you will curse the day.
Kyle Sinkule

Post by Kyle Sinkule »

Thanks for the advice Dave!

Maybe I should have been more specific in my original post...
I have access to plenty of Carter Starters and Mavericks even an old Fender branded Maverick.. but I really want something that's pro-level that I can grow in to and service.

I'm a pro side-guy for a few different artists, so I really need something quality to stand up to the road. I also have a project studio, so having something good for players to come and use is important as well.
Hunter Jones

Post by Hunter Jones »

Dave Mudgett wrote:OK, I'm gonna be blunt. IMHO, if you have $1500 to spend, don't screw around with old starter guitars. As pedal steels, they are marginal at best. Yes, you can learn the rudiments on them, but why not start with a professional level instrument, or at least a solid, modern, entry-level instrument?

For $1000-1800, I have seen, on this forum fairly recently, professional model BMI, MSA, Dekley, and even professional-grade Carter or Magnum (made by Carter) guitars in either S10 (single-neck/single-body) or SD10 (single-neck/double-body) formats in good condition. Geez, even nice 70s pro-level Sho Buds. A new ZumSteel Stage One is definitely within your budget, and you might even be able to find a used Zum Encore (next level up) S10 in the upper region of that general range. Get a good one of any of these and you can go a long time without ever needing another guitar.

The key here is to be patient and get sound advice and, ideally, some help in evaluating any specific guitar from someone who really knows what they are talking about. Get a dog and you will curse the day.
Agreed. Were I starting all over again, I wouldn't have gotten the Carter. It was affordable at the time, given my budget, and has taught me a lot, which is what it's for.
John Goux

Post by John Goux »

Take Dave M’s advice. Also, Justice. And 70’s MSA are solid and under rated.
John
Thornton Lewis

Post by Thornton Lewis »

I have a gfi expo 3x4 s-10. I bought it used and spent a year on it before switching to a williams uni. I paid 1750 but would let you have it for $1500 + the ride, which should be a little less. Wood grain, not the coolest, but no mechanical or cosmetic issues. Emmons set up.
THIS GUITAR IS SOLD< THANKS
Last edited by Thornton Lewis on 2 Jun 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Might want to talk to Paul about this one - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=351807

It's an old MSA Classic 12-string Extended E9 for $1200 plus it's gonna require shipping to Texas. They are solid, but heavy, guitars. I'd dump the pickup and put in something like a Jerry Wallace True Tone wound to around 18K Ohms (RIP Jerry - they do turn up used) or something like a Lawrence 712 or 912, or even a George L's 12-1. I just never cared for the Super Sustain pickups - I had a black D10 Classic. Only reason I got rid of it is that it was close to 100 pounds in the case. But a single-body should be quite a bit lighter. I'm sure it's still heavy, though.

MSA were and are made in Texas, you should have no problem finding someone to work on this. The old Classics don't command as much on the used market, but are fine guitars. My opinions, obviously.

Anyway, if I wasn't awash in guitars and needed one on a budget, I'd just set up a meeting in York or Harrisburg, about an hour and a half for each of us.
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

Do NOT buy a MSA Red Baron! :)