Shipping amp across country Fed Ex/UPS vs USPS Retail Ground

Amplifiers, effects, recording equipment, seats, racks, parts, or anything else.
Kenny Howard

Shipping amp across country Fed Ex/UPS vs USPS Retail Ground

Post by Kenny Howard »

Dear Brothers & Sisters

Getting ready to ship an amp (52 # total shipping weight)
So, went on the Carrier websites to get an estimate.

Results are:
Fed Ex & UPS both at around $155 incl insurance & signature.
Post Office with same services about $129.

Is this for real?
Anyone else shipping heavy items like this thru the Post Office?

In the past, I've always tried to use Fed Ex (vs UPS). They have performed best for me.
However, the cost difference favoring USPS is certainly something to consider. Yes?
Gary Kaye

Shipping amp

Post by Gary Kaye »

Check out Pirateship.com
I have used them many times for shipping, they offer online discount rates for the US Postal Service. You print your label at home and pay with a credit card and insurance is available as well. Saved me quite a bit of money..
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

long thread on topic from this week suggest asking at Greyhound

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=356598
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
Kenny Howard

Post by Kenny Howard »

thanks Gary & Gene for their input.

Has anyone shipped USPS lately?

And, have they captured the Post Office reduced rates?
(relative to Fed Ex/UPS that is)

Ken
Patrick Huey

Post by Patrick Huey »

Kenny Consider shipping via Greyhound...yes the bus people! Last Session 500 I purchased was shipped from Ohio to Texas via Geyhound and was @ $85. Shipped under the bus in storage compartment and doesn’t change vehicles at ten different hubs like FedEx UPS etc so it’s minimally handled reducing chance of damage it’s insured and recipient just meets bus at local bus stop for pickup. I shipped a steel and an amp this way as well no issues.')
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I have shipped pedal steels through the USPS with excellent results. They will take up to 75 lbs. :D
Erv
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Fed-Ex has always worked well for me. UPS packages always arrive looking like they’ve been through a war zone.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Fed-Ex did me dirty. They severely damaged an Emmons p/p for me and I had to take them to court to get any compensation.
Kenny Howard

Post by Kenny Howard »

Gracias to everybody for their input.

Irv, thanks for sharing your success with the post office.
Hate to hear about settlements going all the way to Small Claims though - At least you got to learn our court system.

Ken
Kenny Howard

Post by Kenny Howard »

Ooops
Meant to spell Erv with an E. sorry

Hard to tell I'm a college graduate.
Gene Tani

shipping

Post by Gene Tani »

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=341355

Shipping tips: get the burliest cardboard box you can, if there's an open appliance store they have great boxes, put Polyethylene/Polyurethane/Convoluted foam to cushion all 6 sides. Take lots of pictures of item and box, keep sales receipt anything else you can to establish the item's value and say a little prayer before you seal it!
Last edited by Gene Tani on 20 Apr 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
Dave Diehl

Post by Dave Diehl »

I have received guitars by USPS and all was good with it upon arrival. Since then I've had more confidence in them in shipping similar items.
Tony Edwards

shipping

Post by Tony Edwards »

I was told that UPS and Fed-Ex charge by the size of the package, while USPS will charge by the weight of the package. If you box it up yourself, it is much cheaper. But if they (UPS, Fed-Ex) boxes it and if they use bubble wrap or peanuts, you get charges out the wazoo for it. I prefer USPS, especially for the lighter packages.
CLR Custom SD10 Pedal Steel; Telonics 500-B Combo w/ TT 15"; Hilton Low Profile VP; Telonics X-10 Pup; Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings; George L's Cables; BJS Tone Bar; Hoffmeyer Picks. This combination produces a Heavenly tone! Psalm 33:2 "Praise the Lord with...an instrument of ten strings."
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I also think that if there are any damages, USPS is easier to collect from than FedEx or UPS. :D
Erv