New album to me...Benny Kalama - Echoes of Hawaii

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Nic Neufeld

New album to me...Benny Kalama - Echoes of Hawaii

Post by Nic Neufeld »

Hi folks,

Just got an old...slightly worn LP. Benny Kalama and the Hawaiian Village Serenaders from about 1956 or so, "Echoes of Hawaii". Instrumental arrangements with Jules Ah See at the forefront. Really nice tone and playing...on some tracks he shows a bit more "fire" than he usually did in the studio where he was more sedate as a general rule than in live performance. Check out the brief "Na 'Lii" (short for Alii I assume, eg "The Kings"), he plays like a jazz player (which he in many ways, was).

I couldn't find it online so I bought an LP and digitized it but worth seeking out for Jules fans. It sounds like Benny takes a solo break on the uke on Holoholo Ka'a, too.
Waikīkī, at night when the shadows are falling
I hear the rolling surf calling
Calling and calling to me
Keith Glendinning

Post by Keith Glendinning »

It’s on YouTube Nic.
David Matzenik

Post by David Matzenik »

A new album to me also. And what a great find. I am going to put that in the car file.
Don't go in the water after lunch. You'll get a cramp and drown. - Mother.
Nic Neufeld

Post by Nic Neufeld »

Keith Glendinning wrote:It’s on YouTube Nic.
Is it? I can only find one (lovely) track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH1-T8LIw5w

The Benny Kalama - Topic channel doesn't have this one (has his more recent album on it, though):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw7q-j ... vEVGpYKk8g

But if its up there, somebody may have gotten a better transfer than I, and would love to listen, so a link would be great if you have one!
Einar Baldursson

Post by Einar Baldursson »

You can stream the whole album on Apple Music or buy it from iTunes. It’s been a favorite for quite some time now. Best version of Mapuana I’ve heard.
Marc Bell

Post by Marc Bell »

Keith Glendinning

Post by Keith Glendinning »

Hi Nic.
“Echoes of Hawaii” search brings up the full album.
Keith.
David Matzenik

Re: New album to me...Benny Kalama - Echoes of Hawaii

Post by David Matzenik »

Nic Neufeld wrote:Hi folks,

Just got an old...slightly worn LP. Benny Kalama and the Hawaiian Village Serenaders from about 1956 or so, "Echoes of Hawaii". Instrumental arrangements with Jules Ah See at the forefront.
Hi Nic, could you upload a scan of the back cover? I'd like to make sure I have the order correct, and any other details. I notice they didn't take much care with Hawaiian spelling.
We would be forgiven for asking why Benny Kalama is credited in the title, when it is obviously a Jules Ah See record. But LP marketing in those days, was a strange milieu of sales-pitches and unrelated advertising. It would also be interesting to know how Itunes think they have right to market it.
Nic Neufeld

Post by Nic Neufeld »

Keith Glendinning wrote:Hi Nic.
“Echoes of Hawaii” search brings up the full album.
Keith.
I imagine I found what you have, but I'm guessing it's a "available in this country, not in another" thing...this one comes up unavailable thought it is obviously the whole album:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ADEVNzH79G

David, I'll see if I can get a photo. The spelling is questionable in spots, and it is amusing in that it refers to Jules as "Sonny Ahsee", there for awhile it seems like Sonny or Sol was every other guy's nickname! Must not have stuck and he went back to Jules. Still, Benny was the bandleader and a very talented arranger so while Jules gave the melodic voice, Benny still probably deserved much of the credit for the production. Some nice vibraphone work on it, too!
Ralph Czitrom

Post by Ralph Czitrom »

Apparently this recording is not available to those of us in the United States. I’ve checked the sources referenced, and also noted that Keith,David, Einar and Marc are all in countries other than the U.S. Copyright issues?
David Matzenik

Post by David Matzenik »

These internet platforms that ostensibly protect the copyright of musicians who have been dead for 50 years is an example of artificial intelligence being artificially stupid.
Joe Burke

Post by Joe Burke »

I just came across this album on Spotify. It's beautiful. I wish Spotify listed musicians credits. I just love Jules playing' and currently trying to emulate his tone.