Looking for a new pedal steel

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Newsome looks pretty cool also,BMI,GFI,as my brain kicks in I'll add more.
Last edited by Stu Schulman on 19 Feb 2020 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Mike DiAlesandro

Post by Mike DiAlesandro »

Johnie King wrote:Here’s a steel that just came up for sale on the forum that I would consider!
Thanks Johnie, I agree with you :D
Paul Pearson

New steel

Post by Paul Pearson »

Sir i would take long hard look at the Mullen discovery it comes standard witj 3 pedals and 4 knee leavers and can be added 1 more pedal a 1 more knee lever its very light weight and all pro guitar you want be sorry give Mullen a call they can answer all of uour questions great people to deal with I've been doing business with them dack in the mid 90s
Zachary Smith

Post by Zachary Smith »

Heads up OP you don’t need any pedals or levers for the stuff on cold roses, it’s all lap steel on that album.
Drew McGrath

Thank You

Post by Drew McGrath »

This is LONG overdue but I wanted to thank you, all of you, for your advice, sharing your years of knowledge and passion for this instrument that helped me finally get what I was looking for. I wound up finding a Williams SD10 with 4 pedals and 5 knee levers which include a vertical taking the B’s down to B flat and a Franklin pedal. I couldn’t be happier with this steel. Here are some pictures:

Drew

Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Drew,Ya' Done good with that Williams..Beautiful guitars,Have fun with it.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Oh crap. Don't you realize what you've done? You've just thrown away your best excuse, that's what you've done! You went out and bought a great guitar that will do just about anything, so now you can no longer say..."Sure, I could play all that stuff and sound just as good as _________ ...if I just had a better guitar". :lol:

Nice axe! 8)
Rich Upright

Post by Rich Upright »

To be honest, I have never heard a keyless guitar that I thought sounded good...I have heard some top pros playing keyless & thought "Man; they would sound so much better on a different guitar"
But, that's my opinion. Sound is subjective, plus I am a big advocate of PP sound, although I don't own one anymore.
A couple D-10s,some vintage guitars & amps, & lotsa junk in the gig bag.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Rich,I have never owned a keyless guitar but I recently got to hear Pete Burak,and Chuck Back play keyless guitars Pete on an Excel,Chuck on a Desert Rose,and they both had it goin'on,in fact Chuck just finished building a keyless S-10 3+5for me,so I'll let you know what I think about a keyless pedal steel guitar.Be safe!
Billy Carr
Restricted

Psg

Post by Billy Carr »

Is that a 400 Series model? I have a 700 Series Williams. Lots of nice guitars out there. Good luck.