Cloudy Aluminum Solution

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Clark Connell

Cloudy Aluminum Solution

Post by Clark Connell »

Does anyone have any suggestions on metal polish that will clean/polish cloudy aluminum on steel guitars?? I have a guitar that the brightwork is cloudy in some places and I have tried Blue Magic, White Diamond, Semichrome, etc. and nothing really gets the cloudyness out completely. And suggestions welcome! Thank You in advance.

Clark Connell
515-556-7052
Rains D-10 8X8 Black
Rains D-10 8X8 Mahogany
Emmons Lashley LeGrand II 8X8 Black(of

Emmons LeGrand II Lacquer 8X8 Two Tone tan & brown, Show Pro D-10 Red Lacquer 8X8
Show Pro 8X8, red lacquer
Evans FET 500, Peavey Nashville 1000,Peavey Vegas 400, Webb 6-14E, 1965 Black-face Fender Twin Reverb,Sho-Bud Amp Profex II, Sarno Black Box, Sarno Tube Preamp, Blue Tube Preamp,MosValve 500 Power Amp, Lab Series L5 Amp, Quilter Power Block 200
Norman Evans

Post by Norman Evans »

Jim Goins

Post by Jim Goins »

Semi Chrome polish, works great. J.G.
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

Takes time and elbow grease.
Much easier to maintain than fix.
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

Flitz, if you can find it.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

If the things you've tried didn't work it's probably not going to get better. Most likely in the material itself. Those products you mention should have cleaned it up at least substantially.

I've tried to do the same on a couple end plates and it's sometimes just the way the material is made and finished to start with.

The other suggestion would be to try a buffer with some polishing compound if that's at all available or possible for you, otherwise I feel you'd just be spending more money of other products that will give you the same results you already got. JMO.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I agree with Jerry.
If all else fails you need one of these:

Earl Terry

cleaner

Post by Earl Terry »

Clark Connell

Cloudy Aluminum Solution

Post by Clark Connell »

Thanks Earl Terry!!! The California Custom 2-step system worked! Finally!!!
Rains D-10 8X8 Black
Rains D-10 8X8 Mahogany

Emmons LeGrand II Lacquer 8X8 Two Tone tan & brown, Show Pro D-10 Red Lacquer 8X8
Evans FET 500, Peavey Nashville 1000,Peavey Vegas 400, Webb 6-14E, 1965 Black-face Fender Twin Reverb,Sho-Bud Amp Profex II, Sarno Black Box, Sarno Tube Preamp, Blue Tube Preamp,MosValve 500 Power Amp, Lab Series L5 Amp, Quilter Power Block 200
John Palumbo

Post by John Palumbo »

Just a relative question:
Does this not happen or less obvious on chrome plated end plates?
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

I use simi chrome mostly these days, it's easy to keep in a tube, it' does take elbow work, i think chrome is much easier to keep vs alloy with oxidization. I really like what Mullen does with the powder coating on the Discovery model, i have played one now about 7 years and never had to touch the end plates, probaly not as dressy looking but very durable indeed, i'm ok without the lipstick for road work, i used to clean the old bud one's every 6 months - 1 year or so.
Clark Connell

Post by Clark Connell »

John Palumbo wrote:Just a relative question:
Does this not happen or less obvious on chrome plated end plates?
Chrome, as Larry B. said is much easier to keep polished and shiny than some kinds of aluminum...because it starts out quite shiny to begin with and is also easier to bring back after it has been neglected. California Custom's two-step system is the best I have ever used and I used them all, for hard to polish aluminum.
Rains D-10 8X8 Black
Rains D-10 8X8 Mahogany

Loren Morehouse

Post by Loren Morehouse »

I hope I can find that stuff in my neck of the woods!
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

Mothers Aluminum polish works best for me

Joe
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

A cloudy or foggy appearance is either contaminants left on the surface, or very fine scratches. The surface can be cleaned of contaminants with either alcohol or (preferably) naptha and a soft cloth. Fine scratches can be polished out by hand with many of the products mentioned, but a buffing wheel is faster and better. When you use a wheel, there is a "smearing" process caused by the friction's heat, and that fills microscopic scratches and yields a shinier surface. Even if the surface is not glass-smooth, a wheel will make it shine up very nicely.

I see many steels (even new ones) with endplates that aren't that smooth, but they're still look shiny.