Full band on livestream?

Studio and home recording topics

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Fred Rogan

Full band on livestream?

Post by Fred Rogan »

I have been noticing that with the recent livestream concerts, at least the ones I have seen, have been 1-3 people.
Yesterday our music team live-streamed and while we had a good mix at the board, while listening to the livestream later at home, I only heard vocals and 2 instruments, no drums, bass, piano or steel.
Is it possible to get a good full mix of a full band on live stream?
thanks for any suggestions.
Show Pro SD10 guitars
Milkman Amps
werner althaus

Post by werner althaus »

This maybe an obvious question that you already have thought about but when you say that "we had a good mix at the board" does that mean that someone in a separate acoustically isolated room had a good mix at the board or did someone in the same room with the amplified band and PA/ monitor speakers have a good mix at the board?
The term "sound reinforcement" may hold the answer to this, you reinforce only those sounds that you can't hear without reinforcement. It is possible that you heard a good mix at the board in the room but what you actually heard was a mix of sounds that weren't reinforced ( steel, drums, bass, piano) and those that were reinforced ( vocals and 2 (acoustic?) instruments?. This happens all the time when board feeds identical to the mix in the house PA are send out to radio, low-budget TV or streams. Those instruments that don't need reinforcement in the mix through the PA/ monitors aren't present in the mix sent somewhere else. You need to mic everything and tweak off a mix that includes every instrument, even those that don't need reinforcement in the room. Isolated headphones or a separate control room are a great help here.
Like I said, I'm only guessing that this is what happened but my suggestion is to not send the same mix to streaming that you send to your PA/ monitors but make a full separate mix that's fully independent.
The answer to your last question is a definitive YES.
Fred Rogan

Post by Fred Rogan »

Werner
Thank you. Great observations and I think accurate. Sound man is only partially isolated and frequently mixes for the recording in the room on his iPad with us.
Show Pro SD10 guitars
Milkman Amps
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

I've done a couple live stream shows from my place and I can tell you what's worked.

We used stageit.com, which is a paid admission type show. Whichever service you use, make sure you're able to select your audio interface as your audio input. You can also use a usb camera and select that for your video in a similar way.

Where we had problems was when inputting multiple mics into the interface. Things somehow got squirrely when the audio came back through stageit.... Our solution was to use an old Yamaha analog console.

So all the mics went into the console and mixed down to a mono signal, which we then sent to the interface. Somehow the program did a lot better processing one mono signal than a summed stereo left/right. Keep the levels nice and low too. Loud high end frequencies can sound particularly bad through the stream. Like Werner pointed out it really helps to have some separation when checking these things. We have the music being played in one room, the console in another, and a second computer monitoring the stream from another account in a third.
werner althaus

Post by werner althaus »

if you can't monitor in a separate room or other form of isolated space then you could just do a quick rehearsal and record the feed you'll be sending to the stream, listen and make adjustments, repeat if necessary.
I doubt that live streaming would totally alter the balance of the mix, sure, there'll be artifacts due to running through codecs, etc. but if you keep it clean and simple at the front end ( this is no time for studio gimmicks) then the results should be excellent and pretty close to what you put in.