Last Melobro #18--banjo slayer SOLD Donation forthcoming

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Ronald Rush

Last Melobro #18--banjo slayer SOLD Donation forthcoming

Post by Ronald Rush »

With much regret, due to some financial difficulties, I am selling this wonderful resin reso. I bought this from Ted Smith one year ago. This was his last he built. Because they are so labor intensive, he has put the patent up for sale. Being the last, and best sounding, according to Ted, I would consider this a collector.
It takes a little getting used to, because of the weight and spacing, but I know why it is known as the "banjo slayer". This thing can really growl. It has a scheerhorn cone, arched back, thru body neck, rosewood baffles, 25" scale.
Being the perfectionist he is, Ted had informed me of some cosmetic blemishes around the neck/body intersection, but I could never find them. Guitar and case in mint condition- I have played in my house maybe a dozen times. # 17 sold for $1385, Elderly sold one for $1800. Be happy to send high res pics
google Melobro and check out Ted Smith--genius
I am asking $1100 plus shipping to Forum members. Own a piece of killer sounding history.
Last edited by Ronald Rush on 14 Apr 2020 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Photos for those who are interested.

Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Brian McGaughey

Post by Brian McGaughey »

I'd certainly be curious to hear what one of these sounds like.

From what I read it's a labor of love building one of these. Meaning very time consuming.
Travis Toy

Post by Travis Toy »

I'm intrigued. Are there any videos/sound clips available of this guitar?
Ronald Rush

Post by Ronald Rush »

Maybe Ted will comment here with a sound link. I am not a techy guy, and would not know how to load a video here. Sorry.
Adam Tracksler

Post by Adam Tracksler »

There is a video on Youtube of a guy ripping it up on an 8 string. I looked at it when I was considering buying this a while ago, its an amazing sounding instrument. I wish I could find it. This thing is a cannon!
Ronald Rush

Post by Ronald Rush »

Thank you Brad for putting up pictures. Thought I had loaded them.
Ted Smith
Location: Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"

Post by Ted Smith »

Got an email that I needed to check this out. Everything is accurate, this was the last one I built and the last one I'll ever build. It's a model #17 (not to confuse that with the number of them built - it signifies the 17th model version we went through in the molds to get them to work the way we wanted them to), there is a cosmetic blem in that I slipped with an exacto working on it (shows I'm getting old and it was time to quit :0 ) I don't have any sound bites but if Marc will come over and video tape I could put some fresh strings on my own and play it, we'll see if we can get that done. I tune my Melobro usually to E-open. The cone is actually a Beard cone after Paul bought the Quarterman cone "situation" up for himself, with a #14 spider, Maple with Ebony capped saddles and bone nut (nut and saddles from Beard so stock string spacing Beard has pre-slotted on those) with a Mahogany neck and the internal rosewood sound baffles like you see on the blog. All good stuff and they are cannons. They have enough volume I actually like playing mine with bare fingers doing blues stuff more than bluegrass, in that E tuning.
Hope that helps and it goes to a good home. If I had the money I'd buy it back because that was a very good sounding one!
old Melobar guy
Ted Smith
Location: Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"

Post by Ted Smith »

OKAY, this is a bit crazy, but for some reason our video loaded side ways.......but you don't hear with your eyes so ....I'll post it anyway :)

Melobro Sound Bite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYuvG78--k8
old Melobar guy
Ronald Rush

Post by Ronald Rush »

Thank you Ted for stepping in with details of this guitar. It is one fine instrument. Financial woes have caused me to sell most of my prized instruments. Someone will be very happy with this one.
Ron
Ronald Rush

Post by Ronald Rush »

Somebody buy this wonderful instrument.
Travis Toy

Post by Travis Toy »

Good luck with your sale Ronald. I really wish there was a way for me to play this thing in person. I probably would've already bought it by now. Best wishes.
Ronald Rush

Post by Ronald Rush »

TTT
Ronald Rush

Post by Ronald Rush »

This historical guitar is still for sale. Been sitting unplayed for 4 years. Need to pay for lap steel I just bought
Ronald Rush

Post by Ronald Rush »

Back up for sale--make an offer
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

P.M. sent.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Follow up P.M. sent.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Did I hear right that's it's a fiberglass guitar?
Erv
Ronald Rush

Post by Ronald Rush »

Price reduced to $1100.
Tom Middleton

Post by Tom Middleton »

I have one of these babies in my collection and love it. I prefer to put it on a key board stand when I play it. I had Paul Beard put in one of his Legend cones and a Fishman Aura Nashville pick up.