Dwight Cook

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Larry Hamilton

Dwight Cook

Post by Larry Hamilton »

It is with a very sad heart That my buddy Dwight Cook passed away on what appears to be Sunday morning, 2-2-2002. He was a wealth of information on steel guitar and mechanics. Full of old stories about playing in the 50’s and 60’s right up to the present day. A member of the Western Swing HOF and no telling what else, he hated bragging too much on himself and down played the awards he had received.
Services will be held Wednesday, February 5th at 10;00 at the LaGrone Funeral Home in Amarillo.
Keep pickin', Larry
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Oh man, sad to hear. Dwight was one of the good ones. :(
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
John Moss

Post by John Moss »

He was such a good man. He always treated me like a son. He taught me a lot of things over the years. We would wheel and deal on things and had a blast.
I feel blessed that I got to visit with him on the phone just a few days ago. He sounded fine. I’m not sure what happened only his daughter had written on Facebook that it was sudden.
I will miss my friend!!!😢
I Love You Brother, Rest Well!!! ❤️❤️❤️
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

Such a sweet man Dwight was. He always had a good story to tell you.
I built a case for his Star steel guitar,and delivered it to him in Amarillo at a big old Hotel where they were having a steel show, long time ago.
RIP my friend.
Email: azpedalman@gmail.com
Phone: 480-235-8797
Paul Wade

Dwight Cook

Post by Paul Wade »

sorry to here this dwight was a great guy. i bought a msa from him in the 90's we talk on the phone and he would give me tips on plying steel. prayers are sent
to family...

p.w
Kurt Graber

Post by Kurt Graber »

RIP Dwight Cook . Great guy , lived in Wichita KS for a long time before moving to Amarillo. First person I ever heard reference a steel guitar as a 'Horn'. He will be missed.
Albert Talley

Post by Albert Talley »

Dwight was a dear friend. He will be greatly missed. He loved steel guitar and all of his friends. Rest well, friend!
john buffington

Post by john buffington »

This is so sad. I had the pleasure of meeting Dwight in Amarillo a few years back. Such a nice guy and so knowledgeable. We did Waltz Across Texas, after the song was over he came up to me, gave me a thumbs up and said: "Sounds like you've been listening to Buddy Charlton haven't you"? Absolutely made my day. He was such a pleasure to visit with.
Rick Plunk

Dwight Cook

Post by Rick Plunk »

I had no idea that Dwight passed away until today when I tried calling. It's my fault for not calling sooner. He was always there for me if I needed help with an old steel or just popped in for a visit. I'll never forget my friend.
Randall Palmore

Dwight

Post by Randall Palmore »

My condolences to Dwight’s family. Im glad to call him a friend, glad we got play some jobs together. I enjoyed catching up at Dallas each year. He was a great guy and great musician! RIP