Travis Toy

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Travis Toy

Post by Travis Toy »

Olli Haavisto wrote:Picked this up at the Phoenix show. Great stuff, Travis!
Did you play the bass solo too??
That`s unfair already... :D :D
Thanks Olli. I did indeed play all of the bass and drums on the album.

-t
Olli Haavisto

Post by Olli Haavisto »

SERIOUS all-round musicianship!
Hats off!
BTW The lap steel piezo stuff we discussed in Phoenix is moving along nicely.
Thanks for the advice, Travis....
Olli Haavisto
Finland
Steve Cattermole

Post by Steve Cattermole »

Super(Duper) effort Travis.I've been listening to it since Phoenix daily,and it just keeps getting better and better.The playing,arranging,and mixing all done to perfection.You should be extremely proud of it, I love it
Greg Derksen

Post by Greg Derksen »

It really is a great Cd, had it a week now,, just get it.

Musicality from all the players is just killer ,and songs are stellar,

Travis on all the instruments that he plays, is pretty amazing.

"Lock the door" and "Adrianna's song", are my favourite .

Greg
Travis Toy

Post by Travis Toy »

Steve Cattermole wrote:Super(Duper) effort Travis.I've been listening to it since Phoenix daily,and it just keeps getting better and better.The playing,arranging,and mixing all done to perfection.You should be extremely proud of it, I love it
Thanks buddy!

-t
Travis Toy

Post by Travis Toy »

Greg Derksen wrote:It really is a great Cd, had it a week now,, just get it.

Musicality from all the players is just killer ,and songs are stellar,

Travis on all the instruments that he plays, is pretty amazing.

"Lock the door" and "Adrianna's song", are my favourite .

Greg
I appreciate the kind words Greg. I could make the case that “Lock The Door” is my favorite tune on the album. It’s tough to pick just one of your babies though. ;-)

-t
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

It's funny, I was thinking how in sync the drums were with everything that Travis was doing with the sometimes weird time stretches and some of the endings. Then I read above that that's also Travis on the drums (just got the CD and haven't studied the liner notes yet). Sheesh.
Quite a steel work out, so fast and clean and in many different styles. I enjoyed his playing a couple of years ago at the Phoenix show, but this is light years beyond. Shows what a great picker can do in the studio. Oh, and Travis can play a Dobro. Scary.
Another milestone in steel guitar virtuosity. Well done Travis.

Joe
Travis Toy

Post by Travis Toy »

Joe Goldmark wrote:It's funny, I was thinking how in sync the drums were with everything that Travis was doing with the sometimes weird time stretches and some of the endings. Then I read above that that's also Travis on the drums (just got the CD and haven't studied the liner notes yet). Sheesh.
Quite a steel work out, so fast and clean and in many different styles. I enjoyed his playing a couple of years ago at the Phoenix show, but this is light years beyond. Shows what a great picker can do in the studio. Oh, and Travis can play a Dobro. Scary.
Another milestone in steel guitar virtuosity. Well done Travis.

Joe
Thanks Joe! I actually cut drums close to last on a lot of the tunes. I recorded a good bit of the instrumentation either to just a click, or a scratch drum track. I knew I wanted to cut drums last so I could catch accents and different musical things that were happening on other instruments. If I had cut them first, I would have definitely missed out on some moments that wound up being really cool.

I’d love to be able to do some of these tunes at a steel show. The unfortunate reality though is that it would be very difficult to pull off without some rehearsing. All of the times I’ve wound up playing have been very last minute as well. You’re sort of forced to play things that everyone can get through fairly painlessly. Oh well.

Thanks again. Glad you’re enjoying the album.

-t