Sho-Bud w/ Superpro mechanism............users?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chris LeDrew

Sho-Bud w/ Superpro mechanism............users?

Post by Chris LeDrew »

I have an 80's Pro 1 3+4 with the Superpro mechanism and really like it. The action is smooth, and I find it really easy to work on. I give it a regular workout live with no problems at all. There have been some complaints about this later mechanism in regards to inferior parts, but so far I'm really pleased with it.

How many Superpro players here?
Grant Johnson

Post by Grant Johnson »

I have a late 70's PRO II Custom with the super pro style mechanics. The pedals are buttery smooth. The Knees are replaced with Coop parts so they are solid as a rock. I recently changed string guages to a heavier Ricky Davis set and have been very pleased with the results. Better tone and the tuning stability has gone from being very good to rock solid.
I am pleased with this guitar tonally and through my Vibrosonic it gives me the Sho-Bud tone that I hear in my head.. That Lloyd Green -Little Darlin' sort of sound...

------------------
www.bigsmokey.com

Mike Gorsch

Post by Mike Gorsch »

Have an '84 SuperPro, but only have been playing for a couple of years. Always used SIT strings. Any other suggestions on string choices and gauges?
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Mike, Give the Jagwires a try, you may really like them.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

I used an early-eighties Super Pro exclusively for 20 years till a couple of years ago, and had only one complaint with it in all that time: within the first year or two (I'm not quite sure) one of the pot-metal knee levers snapped off during a gig!!! I immediately had Billy Cooper replace all the knee levers with aluminum ones. It has always stayed in tune extremely well; I have VERY seldom even had to think about retuning the pedal and/or knee changes, and then only when the surface I had to play on was so uneven that I had to make fairly major changes to the leg lengths. The reason I don't play it now is that, like Lloyd Green (I don't claim to be like him in any other respect!), I found that I never played the C6 neck. I'm now playing a GFI SD-10 keyless, but I don't have any intention of letting go of my Super Pro!<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Brint Hannay on 21 March 2006 at 08:26 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Brint Hannay on 21 March 2006 at 08:35 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Brint Hannay on 22 March 2006 at 05:41 AM.]</p></FONT>
Delbert Aldredge

Post by Delbert Aldredge »

...well, I've had my SP for @ 26 yrs. All wood necks D-10. No complaints. Everthing in excellent condition. Some gutiars are made in a way where the top string is difficult to see but not the SP. Has excellent sustain and almost chimes it self.
Balanced volume on all strings. The C 6th sound is uncomparable...it's a well balanced guitar.
Mike Randolph

Post by Mike Randolph »

I hate to sound dumb,what is the diffrence between super pro and other sho bud changers?
Mike