Franklin Pedal Who really uses it and how?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Randy Carson

Franklin Pedal Who really uses it and how?

Post by Randy Carson »

I've yet to use the Franklin Pedal yet most people feel like they want it on a steel.

Please share your thoughts on how you use the Franklin Pedal some insight would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

its a musical expression, not a lick. Its like Bluegrass Harmony moving lines, its interesting and compliments what we play. Thats how I see it. Others perhaps more formally.

How do I explain it ? I can't. When I use a FP phrase it just arrives, its an added expression to what I am already doing or trying to do. Its not planned. It just happens .

I'm not one to figure out ( spell out) every "proper and formal" theoretical note and chord spelling with the FP Pedal , or any other ped/lever for that matter, I just know musically what it adds to my vocabulary and by the grace of god I can hear while playing where it fits and where it does not ! It can easily be overused though.

On this track it was the full drop 5,6 and 10. My current guitar I only drop 5 and 6.

I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry. This was on an 04 Carter 9+8.

The 1st FP expression comes in gently around 25 seconds. Most listeners may not even hear it or recognize it but they hear a nice smooth passage. I believe it is used in a few other locations as well. Very modestly.

http://www.tprior.com/LONE.mp3
Last edited by Tony Prior on 28 Jan 2020 11:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
John Sluszny

Post by John Sluszny »

The Franklin Pedal ? Everybody wants it, nobody uses it ! (just kiddin', I use it sometimes) But I'd prefer to have it split, G# to F# on one lever, and Bs to As on another lever or pedal.
John Sluszny

Post by John Sluszny »

Tony Prior wrote:its a musical expression, not a lick. Its like Bluegrass Harmony moving lines, its interesting and compliments what we play. Thats how I see it. Others perhaps more formally.

How do I explain it ? I can't. When I use a FP phrase it just arrives, its an added expression to what I am already doing or trying to do. Its not planned. It just happens .

I'm not one to figure out ( spell out) every "proper and formal" theoretical note and chord spelling with the FP Pedal , or any other ped/lever for that matter, I just know musically what it adds to my vocabulary and by the grace of god I can hear while playing where it fits and where it does not ! It can easily be overused though.

On this track it was the full drop 5,6 and 10. My current guitar I only drop 5 and 6.

I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry. This was on an 04 Carter 9+8.

The 1st FP expression comes in gently around 25 seconds. Most listeners may not even hear it or recognize it but they hear a nice smooth passage. I believe it is used in a few other locations as well. Very modestly.

http://www.tprior.com/LONE.mp3
TONY, GOOD EXAMPLES and BEAUTIFUL PLAYING !
John Spaulding

Post by John Spaulding »

Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

I use that change split.. I never liked it all that much on one pedal or lever personally.. Split however I found it very useful, and use it a LOT. It does use up an additional pedal or lever however... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

IF we pay attention to what both PF and TW are saying and playing, ( brilliant by the way ) they are adding expression to the phrases. This can only come once we develop our creative ear and place it on the instrument. No different than a piano, guitar, horn etc...They are adding to the phrase, carrying it further.

So many times we read that we can't figure out what to do with a change such as the PF lever, split or not. In simplistic 3- STEP terms I view it as step 3 . First we have to create and execute step 1 and 2, the musical phrase. Step 3 is in addition to step 1 and 2. It doesn't matter what Instrument we are playing, its all the same, create on the instrument what we hear in our heads and then expand on it. Its not magic, it just takes seat time and understanding what our individual Instruments can do for us as they are sitting in front of us .

To me, the question isn't what does the PF lever do and how do I use it, the question is what are we playing now where we can use it as an added expression, expanding to what we already do.

I love the part in the clip above where TW and PF have similar setups but yet different, and have to approach the same phrase a little bit differently. Which means, we gotta know our instrument first.

For me, in my limited world, the PF lever is as important to the music as the E levers. I may only execute a few times over the course of an evening and when I do I doubt anyone sitting and listening knows, BUT I DO and thats why I love this Instrument, it can be so dang personal. We can certainly be playing in a band on a big stage and at the same time be playing inside our own private bubble ! Nobody has ever approached me after a show and said man I love the way you used that PF lever or any other PED or lever, But they have commented that they enjoyed what I played and thats the important part. :D

Jacek Jakubek

Post by Jacek Jakubek »

Tony Prior wrote:Nobody has ever approached me after a show and said man I love the way you used that PF lever or any other PED or lever, But they have commented that they enjoyed what I played and thats the important part.
When listening to your song, I was expecting to hear "BOOM! PF pedal lick at 25 second mark" but I couldn't even tell what you did there, it's all so seamlessly and beautifully played, weaving in and out with different pedals...it just sounds like music, not specific pedal/lever licks. Great Job!

Only thing that could improve your recording is getting some more realistic sounding drums. The ones in the recording sound really fake and detract from the awesome steel playing. It's like going to a fine, super expensive restaurant with a world-class cook making your food, but having it served on a disposable styrofoam plate :\

Another question I want to ask about your recording: Would you be able to play it again the same way again, or are some of the things you played just spur-of-the-moment type things that will sound a little different each time you play the song? I'm wondering because some of these instrumental steel pieces I'm hearing, including yours, make me think "how the heck can these guys remember to play the whole thing like that." I went through a couple of J.Newman courses over the past couple of months and can remember like less than 5% of the phrases and licks I learned.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Jacek Jakubek wrote:
Tony Prior wrote:

Only thing that could improve your recording is getting some more realistic sounding drums.

Another question I want to ask about your recording: Would you be able to play it again the same way again, or are some of the things you played just spur-of-the-moment type things that will sound a little different each time you play the song?

Thx !

The track was done over 5 years ago specifically for a TAB project, not for a CD release or anything like that. Even today if I decide to promote a project It would be similar. It would be about the TAB project not the track.

Regarding the phrasing, it was arranged, parts worked out ahead of time and yes and it would probably be different today, but maybe not. Phrases are built on a theme. I haven't played this one in years , but I suspect it would pretty similar especially if I listened to it ahead of time. Or..uhhh..maybe not ! :lol: I think it depends on the moment and other players I may be with.

I suspect many do not play things exactly the same each time out but they play with a common theme.

Any instrument we play, its how we practice, if we are just playing songs it may be tuff to remember each phrase, But if we study the fretboard , how and why things connect, then the phrases come from that. While I fully support TAB and learning from TAB , it is also very important to at some point recognize WHY the phrasing works, that way we don't have to memorize everything !

Regarding the FP pedal phrases being smooth, thank you for that, but thats exactly what TW and PF are talking about in that clip above. Two masters. Its almost like it's not there , but it is. We should all strive to play everything like that.Its part of how we should practice.

Hope this answers the questions !

I Appreciate it !

tp

Rudolf Kriens

Quintessential Franklin Pedal songs?

Post by Rudolf Kriens »

How about creating a list in this thread of top commercial recorded songs that heavily lean on the use of the Franklin Pedal? Preferably with time into song indication.

Anyone with suggestions for a quintessential Franklin Pedal song list?
Randy Carson

Post by Randy Carson »

Thanks Tony for sharing your song mucho appreciated however I really would love to hear more examples.
We had three basic pedals now it seems four is standard or expected still searching for the why?

I like Rudolph's suggestion of a list of songs I think that makes a lot of sense.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

First 13 seconds and at 1:50 of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AIMWLB0VlA

A really slow actuations at 2:25 and 4:06 that really stand out!
Randy Carson

Post by Randy Carson »

okay so are you talking about the little button that resolves close to the 13 second mark? On Mike's intro?
Jacek Jakubek

Post by Jacek Jakubek »

There's a link to a YouTube video of Tommy White Playing with Lady Gaga at the latest Oscars in the "Steel On The Web" section of the forum. It was posted by Paul Franklin. view it here:
Tommy White with Lady Gaga @ the Oscars
In the discussion, Tommy White mentions that he used the Franklin pedal change on the chorus of the song. You can hear it I think, right before the song goes all heavy-metal guitar, which overpowers the more subtle steel playing. Check it out.

If all else fails, use it a "lick pedal"...Just stomp it however you like when you're in the no pedals position. Change up the timing, phrasing, string combinations...It will still sound good.

Another basic use I can think of is that the pedal gives you a different version of the 5 dominant chord when used with the E-lower lever. So, instead of hitting B pedal + E lower lever, hit Franklin pedal + E lower lever for a different voicing of the same 5 dominant chord.
Rudolf Kriens

Thanks Greg for song example with timings

Post by Rudolf Kriens »

Thanks Greg for the example with minutes and seconds into the song. Excellent.

Seems to me these instants are also accentuated by Mike’s body language ...
Rudolf Kriens

Hard to make out

Post by Rudolf Kriens »

@Jacek.

Pretty hard to make out amidst the heavy metal bombardement.

Unfortunately, in the clip no visuals of the actual pedal steel guitar, let alone Tommy’s use of the Franklin pedal/lever.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

If we only have the 6 drop we can use it for very similar
situations and phrasing. Its a fine accent. On Mikes intro above it appears to be a singular 6 drop, not the 5,6 and 10 drop, but nonetheless its legitimate either way.

Rather than guess, why not listen to the changes on your own guitars, hear what it sounds like from an open NO peds positions, string 5,6 and 10 then release back to the natural. Even if you only have the 6 drop.

My Push Pull only has drop 6, if that's what you have try this, pick strings 8,6 and 5 no peds, let it sustain add the drop 6, then release back to the natural Then Put AB in, 8,6 and 5, release it to no peds, then drop 6 then release the drop 6 back to natural all sustaining. Listen to the tonality and expression.

With the FP ped, play with AB peds in, release them to the natural then add the FP and release it back to the natural. All sustaining together. Its a nice way to HEAR the change and be accustomed to what we may hear on records and performances. Do it on your own Instruments. We don't need sound clips !

How often would we use it ? Hard to say, maybe once in a song. Maybe 3 times on an entire gig.

How often do we use substitution chords on Steel, guitars or keys? When we feel they are appropriate and fit the music.

theres a million ways to skin the cat with some added phrasing

have fun, expand !

Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I hear the full 5,6, 10 drop on Mike's playing above. his copedant shows that as well:

https://mikejohnsonproductions.com/p/copedent

He appears not to even have a separate 6th string G# to F# change.

Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

It doesn't matter, its not an argument.
Last edited by Tony Prior on 31 Jan 2020 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jacek Jakubek

Post by Jacek Jakubek »

In the clip posted by Greg, it's also hard to make out exactly what he's doing because the steel playing is so skillful, weaving in and out with all the pedal changes with such subtlety. I was going to say we need some examples where it's "BOOM! There it is...Franklin Pedal Lick!" kind of like what that song "Slowly" (By Bud Isaacs ft. Webb Pierce) does for the AB pedal change.

But then, I think Tony is right with this:
Tony Prior wrote:...Do it on your own Instruments. We don't need sound clips !
You ultimately need to experiment on your own guitar with seat time and practice.

What I think I noticed in the clip posted by Greg of Mike Johnson playing, is that Mike uses the Franklin pedal most as a "tag" pedal, to add a little lick at the end of a phrase, intro, or solo. I experimented with the change in this way today during practice and it sounds good. Whenever you finish an intro or lick/phrase...do a little Franklin pedal thing at the end and it works great for that. I'm going to think of this pedal as "tag" or "ending" pedal for now, until I figure out more stuff.

I wish Jeff Newman was still around and did a course on this pedal. He'd come up with a bunch of useful, simple phrases, and keep hitting you with them until you got it. Maybe we have to do just that ourselves.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Jacek, your thinking too hard ! Overthinking it . Its a phrase, an extension, just like we do with any other phrase we play, we are adding to it.

Once we hear the tonality and understand its , we can add it or NOT to many things we already play .

Should I drive on this road or that road to go to the store. Its a choice.

When we all first heard Nokie Edwards ( the Ventures) using a tremolo bar throughout and directly at the end of of Walk Don't Run, we all ran out and got one ! Then we just start using it here and there. I wonder how many Strats were sold because of Nokie Edwards !

I suggest just practicing the phrasing on your own instrument , get familiar with the sound, then a little at a time throw into to a song for good measure. I guarantee, TW, Mike and PF are not saying to themselves this is a great FP song.

Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Jacek, I have the Franklin pedal split across a few pedals. Here's some examples of what that provides:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Tab/Split%20 ... 20Tab.html
John Spaulding

Post by John Spaulding »

Jacek Jakubek wrote: I wish Jeff Newman was still around and did a course on this pedal. He'd come up with a bunch of useful, simple phrases, and keep hitting you with them until you got it. Maybe we have to do just that ourselves.
Among all the other great instruction on picking and blocking, there are 18 tabbed PF4/TW Split licks in Tommy and Paul's course.

Contemporary Pedal Steel Guitar Volume 1.

Last edited by John Spaulding on 31 Jan 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacek Jakubek

Post by Jacek Jakubek »

Thanks for the links to the instruction, guys. I bookmarked your site, Greg, and will also look into that Tommy White instruction at some point.

Right now I'm in a sort of instructional material overload and still need to learn to use the basic changes properly (AB, BC, E, F ) before I can dedicate more brain power to the PF pedal (Which Tony says serves more as an extension or add-on).

I plan on dedicating the next year or two to just studying those basic changes with the Newman instruction (with backing tracks!)...And of course learning something a little different now and then from reading this forum, just like now.
Rene Brosseau

pedals

Post by Rene Brosseau »

Removed mine...
Franklin #130, Melobar Skreemer, Wechter Scheerhorn Resonator, Nashville 112, Boss DD 3 &/or Profex II