Delay suggestions

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Detlef Webert

Delay suggestions

Post by Detlef Webert »

Hi all - out there!
I'm still playing steel without a delay, just reverb and like to get your inputs on what brand is worth to keep an eye on before buying one. I've once tried a Boss DD7 but it sounded like tin and really not that great-maybe I used a wrong setup.
What brand are you using out there and what are your recommented settings (delay time, repetitions,...).

Thanks,

Detlef
Dave Diehl

Post by Dave Diehl »

I prefer Effects Units as in the Lexicons but as for delay times, etc., would recommend you look under Electronics Section here on the forum and open the "Newman Profex II listing moved to SG Forum" folder at the top to see what some of the finest players ever used. A very good place to start.
Adam Tracksler

Post by Adam Tracksler »

I love delay. I have a source audio nemesis delay right now that is great. I really like having a tap tempo.
Daniel Morris

Post by Daniel Morris »

Empress Effects EchoSystem is fantastic.
You will not run out of options, and Empress continues to add algorithms.
https://empresseffects.com/products/echosystem
1979 MSA U12 Pedal Steel
1982 Kline U12 Pedal steel
2019 Sierra U12 Pedal Steel
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.
Kevin Fix

Post by Kevin Fix »

If I use Delay I use my Hilton Delay unit. I set it for 1 repeat. 90 % of the time I use no effects other than reverb. I play outdoor shows mostly. If I have one of those super humid days the delay helps on the tone somewhat.
Dan Kelly

Post by Dan Kelly »

I second the Empress Echo System unit. It has a wide variety of PSG friendly presets and a virtually unlimited range of reverb /delay sounds. The "ducking" delay is particlarily useful when a delay AND a clean sound is desired. I have had mine for more than a year and still find sounds to save.
blah, blah, blah.
Hey You Kids! Get Off My Lawn!
blah, blah, blah.
Blake Surrell

Post by Blake Surrell »

Hi, I have been going through several delay pedals in the last few days, being unhappy with trying to find a subtle but nice sounding delay. I have a Boss DD3 which a lot of people like, a Maxon AD10 analog delay and a Zoom MS50g multi fx pedal.

The Maxon has some weird artifacts I cannot seem to dial out so I have given up on it. The Boss DD3 is pretty good, changes my tone slightly brighter but can be compensated at the amp. My favorite is actually the Zoom MS50g. It is definitely the most bang for the buck pedal I have ever owned.

It has about 15 different delays, tons of reverbs and chorus etc. I actually like the Memory Man analog delay in this pedal and is what I am using. I know its a digital pedal emulating an analog delay but its warm, and sounds great to me with no weird artifacts. I use it as a slapback, repeats all the way down so just one repeat, delay time around 220ms, about 40% mix.

Another plus to me it uses AA batteries instead of 9v....

Hope this helps....
Barry Coker

Delay pedals

Post by Barry Coker »

I have a few Delay pedals DD-3, Hilton and Neunaber are my main three but if your looking to try something that won't break the budget and sounds GREAT.

This little Donner pedal gives a lot of sound from a small package. Has to have a 9v wall wart not big enough for internal battery. Less than $30.00 on ebay and cheaper than that if you find a used one.

Good Luck
Barry
Zum-D-10, Webb 614-E, 65 Pro Reverb, Evans RE200, 69 Gibson Birdland, 89 Telecaster EAD Bad!!
Blake Surrell

Post by Blake Surrell »

I agree with Barry as well. I have one of those Donner Delays on my 6 string mini board and its excellent for the money. For my PSG I just wanted one that ran off batteries to cut down on clutter....
Detlef Webert

Post by Detlef Webert »

Thank you guys,
quite a few inputs from you. That's already a good starting point for me.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I am presently using either a Boss DD-2 or a Boss DD-3.
They sure suit my fancy. :D
Erv
Mark Perrodin

Post by Mark Perrodin »

echoplex ep103 by jim dunlop or
dispatch master by earthquaker devices.
i have both in my chain and have a lot
of fun with them.
Brandon Mills

Post by Brandon Mills »

Boss DD 8, their newest model. Many good sounding options. If I hadn’t liked this so much I would have gone with the Echoplex pedal.
Thomas Stone

Post by Thomas Stone »

I use an old Maxon AD-80 pedal, set for what I would call a Chet Atkins-style delay: one quick repeat at fairly low volume. For what I ask of it, I think almost any delay would work.
George Seymour

Post by George Seymour »

Budget and what it sounds like to you...
Strymon El Capitan, Strymon Brigadier, Neunaber Echelon Delay which is mono. The Strymon are "stereo", dual output. I use these and like the sound.
Old Emmons D-10's & Wrap Resound 65, Standel amps!
Old Gibson Mastertones
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

I favor the blue Hilton Legend Pro Delay, but there's lotsa bang for the buck with the green JOYO JF-33.
Curt Trisko

Re: Delay suggestions

Post by Curt Trisko »

Detlef Webert wrote:Hi all - out there!
I'm still playing steel without a delay, just reverb and like to get your inputs on what brand is worth to keep an eye on before buying one. I've once tried a Boss DD7 but it sounded like tin and really not that great-maybe I used a wrong setup.
What brand are you using out there and what are your recommented settings (delay time, repetitions,...).

Thanks,

Detlef
If you're new to the world of effects, then I recommend getting a multi-effects unit to familiarize yourself with how all the different effect variables (and amp simulations) interact and can be tweaked. Tinkering with that will get you in the neighborhood of the sounds you're looking for - and then you'll have a head start on buying gear to really zero in on your tone.

When I started out on steel guitar I bought a used Vox ToneLab LE multi-effects unit. My impression is that it was made for electric guitar and most of the presets are downright goofy on steel guitar. The number of effects, the variations within them, and the control you have over them with that unit is overwhelming, but once you start to learn how to use it, you quickly develop your own sensibilities for which effect settings create a well-rounded sound and which don't.

I've come to prefer the delay settings I've found on it and use them all time. There are several presets to choose from and then you can make minute adjustments within them. That unit has made me able to have pinpoint accuracy for additional effects that I search for.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I like just a little single "slap back" delay. :D
Erv
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

Akai Headrush sounds as good or better than most of the newer high end pedals imo, and they go for around 100 bucks.
Detlef Webert

Post by Detlef Webert »

any experience with the BOSS DD-7 or DD-8 ?
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Good as any, better than most.
These have tap delay settings. :D
Erv
Detlef Webert

Post by Detlef Webert »

Erv,
and compared with the echoplex ep103 ?
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I have no idea.