Jimmy Day and The Least Amount

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tore Blestrud

Post by Tore Blestrud »

Jimmy played a lot on the early Willie stuff. And on "Texas in my soul" in 68 - fantastic. Also check out his playing on the George Jones albums "Sings Bob Wills" and "Salutes Hank Williams".
Emmons D-10 P/P 78", Franklin D-10, Zum Encore. Sho-Bud LDG
Shaun Marshall

Post by Shaun Marshall »

Hello Tore, Thank you for mentioning the "Texas In My Soul" record. I have several Willie albums with Jimmy Day on them but I missed this one. Many Thanks! I downloaded it this morning and listened to it all day long at work. It was worth starting this conversation just to get more water from the well.

So classic! Many Thanks!
Bobby D. Jones

Jimmy Day Less is better

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Jimmy Day at a steel guitar show interview said he played on an album that Willie Nelson had recorded, Before Willie got it released the IRS seized it in Willie's Income Tax case.
Does anyone know if willie ever got it out of Hock and released it?
Herb Steiner

Re: Jimmy Day Less is better

Post by Herb Steiner »

Bobby D. Jones wrote:Jimmy Day at a steel guitar show interview said he played on an album that Willie Nelson had recorded, Before Willie got it released the IRS seized it in Willie's Income Tax case.
Does anyone know if willie ever got it out of Hock and released it?
When I first joined Johnny Bush's band in 1992, Johnny told me about an album he had cut a few years earlier with Willie, Jimmy Day, and David Zettner called "The Offenders." The master tape, having been stored at Willie's studio, had been confiscated but later relinquished by the IRS. I think the album was later released in very small quantities privately.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Don Euton

Post by Don Euton »

Herb, I have a tape called "The Offenders Reunion" I bought from Scotty 1-24-09. I do not remember ever playing the tape. It does say Limited Edition on the wraparound. It does say on the cover Willie Nelson, Jimmy Day, Johnny Bush and David Zettner are the singers with Special Guest, Jimmy Day Jr., Floyd Domino, Johnny Gimble and Ron Knuth. It states it was made at WILLIE NELSON`s PEDERNALES STUDIO, Spicewood Texas. This may be the one your talking about.
Don Euton
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Don, that's the tape I'm referring to. I guess it was way after 1992, but I stayed with Johnny for 14 years (1992-2006), so the memories do grow dim. :lol:
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Bobby D. Jones

Jimmy Day Less is better

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Herb Thanks, For the post on Willy's Album.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Don Euton wrote:Herb, I have a tape called "The Offenders Reunion" I bought from Scotty 1-24-09. I do not remember ever playing the tape. It does say Limited Edition on the wraparound. It does say on the cover Willie Nelson, Jimmy Day, Johnny Bush and David Zettner are the singers with Special Guest, Jimmy Day Jr., Floyd Domino, Johnny Gimble and Ron Knuth. It states it was made at WILLIE NELSON`s PEDERNALES STUDIO, Spicewood Texas. This may be the one your talking about.
Don Euton
There is also an album with The Offenders called "Me And The Drummer".
Don Euton

Post by Don Euton »

Herb, you could be right. That date was the date I bought the tape. I bought Jimmy Day and The Texas Outlaw Jam Band at the same time. Scotty could have had them a long time. It had J&M Productions with a Buda, TX. address written on the tape cover.
Don Euton
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Don I had that too. It was a cassette with a black and white cover
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

To quote the Big E "you can't out Jimmy,Jimmy"
Steel and Strings..the most soulful steel guitar album on the planet.
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!