New Fender Tone Master Twin Reverbs....only 33lbs!

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post by Dan Beller-McKenna »

Carty, I think I have the solution: don't go throwing amps into the trunk of your car. Gently place them there. :lol:

But seriously, I hear you. I do worry about repairs to this amp. But if it's a PC board being thrown out and replaced with another, is that so much worse than tossing some tubes? Also, I picked up a Dual Showman head on Craigslist several years ago, and after a few trips to the amp tech and a couple hundred dollars on tubes, we determined it was probably the transformer that was preventing the amp from functioning properly. I'd rather toss a pc board in the trash than that big chunk of iron (although the latter makes a more satisfying "thunk," I suppose).

To be fair, though, the 71 Twin does sound a little better than the Tone Master. Just not enough to warrant the weight on a run-of-the-mill gig. I'll still haul it out for special occasions, though.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I'd like to hear the Tone Master and Nashville 112 side-by-side! (In person, that is - IMHO, you can't tell crap from a YouTube video, unless you're comparing distortion and EFX sounds.)

The 9 lb. weight savings with the Fender over the NV 112 would be significant for some players. I sometimes use a Fender Stage 112 (118 watts with an 8-ohm neo speaker), and that comes in right at 32 lbs.
Bob Bestor

How does the Tone Master compare to the Mustang III V2

Post by Bob Bestor »

I have a Mustang III V2 and use its Twin Reverb option for pedal steel. How does the Tone Master Twin compare to that Twin setting on the Mustang III V2?
Keep on truckin'
Dave Campbell

Post by Dave Campbell »

i worry a lot more about my vintage twin's longevity because its weight necessitates a certain brutality when you're moving it or lifting it into or out of your car

no such worry with the tonemaster.
George Macdonald

Tone Master Twin

Post by George Macdonald »

Donny, I have both a Nashville 112 and as of last Saturday, a Tone Master Twin. When I mentioned to my wife that I was planning to bring the Fender home for a 30 day trial, her response was, "really? another amp? But after playing through the Tone Master for a few minutes in my music room she came in and said, "Wow! don't take that one back."

I also have a couple of popular amp heads and cabs with 15 inch neo speakers that I've always thought sounded pretty good, but this new Fender Twin, to me, [and my wife], sounds great. In no way am I nocking the Nashville 112. It is a very good and trouble free workhorse, but the TM Twin is the one I will take when I next play at our Church.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I have a NV112, with a Telonics speaker. Sounds very good.
The Tone Master Twin sounds very good too. But they don't sound the same and no direct comparison. The Twin has the retro Twin sound and takes me back to the 71 (AB768 chassis) Twin that I used to use. The Tone Master Twin is my gigging amp.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Rick Bernauer

Post by Rick Bernauer »

Bob Bestor - I have a Mustang III V2 and use its Twin Reverb option for pedal steel. How does the Tone Master Twin compare to that Twin setting on the Mustang III V2?
Bob - I find the Tone Master Twin to be a much more responsive and "realistic" Twin sound. I have a tube Twin that doesn't get as much use as the Tone Master Twin. I had a Mustang III v2 for a practice amp (I used it at gigs a few times but it didn't give me the sound I wanted). I spent time with the Mustang trying to dial in the Twin sound and it was OK but nothing close to the TM Twin. When I tried to practice on the C6 neck (which needs a lot of practice) the Mustang never could handle it well. More processing power really pays off. The Mustang has all sorts of amp models but it's not in the same league as the Tone Master if you're going for the classic Twin sound. IMHO.
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

Here is a super good deal on a ToneMaster Twin,,,Great amp,,just waaaaay more than I need,,

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=351985
George Kimery

New Tone Master Twin Reverb ....only 33 LB

Post by George Kimery »

How does it sound compared to a Steel King?
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

I have no idea George,,since I've never owned or played a Steel King,,,but,,for the posts above I would say,,,far and away better. I friend of mine has a collection of 20 plus old Fender tube amps,,,he is completely and totally amazed at this amp!!!!
Bob Bestor

Post by Bob Bestor »

Rick Bernauer wrote:
Bob Bestor - I have a Mustang III V2 and use its Twin Reverb option for pedal steel. How does the Tone Master Twin compare to that Twin setting on the Mustang III V2?
Bob - I find the Tone Master Twin to be a much more responsive and "realistic" Twin sound. I have a tube Twin that doesn't get as much use as the Tone Master Twin. I had a Mustang III v2 for a practice amp (I used it at gigs a few times but it didn't give me the sound I wanted). I spent time with the Mustang trying to dial in the Twin sound and it was OK but nothing close to the TM Twin. When I tried to practice on the C6 neck (which needs a lot of practice) the Mustang never could handle it well. More processing power really pays off. The Mustang has all sorts of amp models but it's not in the same league as the Tone Master if you're going for the classic Twin sound. IMHO.
Thanks Rick. This is quite tempting. I do like the Mustang but I feel like there are too many choices. I am enticed by the simplicity of the Tone Master. Hmmm?
Keep on truckin'
Jerry Van Hoose

Fender Twin Reverb Tone Master 👍

Post by Jerry Van Hoose »

I would like to thank Rick Heins for the introduction to the new Fender Twin Reverb Tone Master. It was the first time I had heard about it. After reading Jack Stoner’s review as well as the many other positive comments from Forum members regarding this amp, I went out and bought one. It’s everything I was expecting and more. I’m playing my Emmons PP with a lightly wound original pickup, using only an Emmons pot pedal with Asterope cables and I’m getting excellent clarity, great low end and superb string separation. As of right now, it sounds great with only the onboard reverb at about 3 & 1/2.
I’m getting the 60’s - 70’s tone I’ve been searching for such a long time. By the way, it’s very easy on the back too.😀
Joe Davies

Tonemaster twin

Post by Joe Davies »

I love the idea of including a feature to be a le set the power scale to 1 channel. Seems like that could be accomplished with A software update. I like the Steel on full power and like playing my strat at at 12 watts dimed.
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Now.....if they'd give us a 15" speaker option,and an effects loop mounted discreetly in the back! ;-)
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

I loved my new TM so much I went out and bought one for my guitar also. The combined weight of the two is still less than my 70 Twin. I did this so the sound man can run separate channels for each guitar. It seems one always has to compromise on what comes thru the fronts using one amp for both.
Rick Heins

Re: Fender Twin Reverb Tone Master 👍

Post by Rick Heins »

Jerry Van Hoose wrote:I would like to thank Rick Heins for the introduction to the new Fender Twin Reverb Tone Master. It was the first time I had heard about it. After reading Jack Stoner’s review as well as the many other positive comments from Forum members regarding this amp, I went out and bought one. It’s everything I was expecting and more. I’m playing my Emmons PP with a lightly wound original pickup, using only an Emmons pot pedal with Asterope cables and I’m getting excellent clarity, great low end and superb string separation. As of right now, it sounds great with only the onboard reverb at about 3 & 1/2.
I’m getting the 60’s - 70’s tone I’ve been searching for such a long time. By the way, it’s very easy on the back too.😀
Thanks for the kind words, Jerry! I'm glad that you and others have given the TM amps a shot and like them. I use it every day with my Emmmons and I'm always happy with the tone. I found that if I use the bright switch and bring down the treble to about 4-5 I get nice articulation without it being too bright.

I'll keep spreading the word about their tone and helping folks save their backs at the same time! haha.
Brooks Montgomery

Post by Brooks Montgomery »

That attenuator switch is the bees knees. I played a blues gig tonight at our local small tavern. It’s an early 5 to 8 pm gig. I ran two cords straight into the amp: a shaker mic for blues harp into channel 1.

And I ran a chord from my Asher Hawaiian Jr. into the second channel. I turned on the bright switch for the Asher, as it has ‘Gibson’y’ humbuckers that the bright switch seems to have been designed for.

I set the attenuator at 22watts, which for this small bar, was just perfect. My guitarist buddies were blown away. Harp and guitar, two cords direct, no pedals, so easy, and killer tone (I thought and they said so).

Not pedal steel, but in the same bar when I sit in on pedal, I turn the attenuator up 40 or 80, and it’s pretty damn nice. It’s definitely the most adaptable amp for the (ragged) stuff that I get to play with my buddies. FWIW.
A banjo, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Okay, I've heard that the output of these amps is seriously reduced unless you turn up the mids. What's up with that? (That would indeed be a deal breaker for me if it's true.)
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

forrest klott wrote:
One thing perhaps Fender might consider is to offer these amps without speakers so that a player could load whatever they wanted into it at a bit of a savings, whatever the stock speakers cost. They might sell more that way to both standard guitar players as well as steel guys. Just a thought to run up the flag pole.

I don't think that would ever happen. If you put in the wrong speaker, it can fry the amp. Considering they're a company with significant "name recognition" and reputation, what they'd risk likely would be far above any return they might get.
Rick Heins

Post by Rick Heins »

Donny Hinson wrote:Okay, I've heard that the output of these amps is seriously reduced unless you turn up the mids. What's up with that? (That would indeed be a deal breaker for me if it's true.)
Donny,

The controls on the TM Twin react the same way they do on the tube version. The midrange thing is a part of the inherent circuit but you want your mids present to stand out in the mix. I find that between 5 and 6 is my sweet spot.
Thomas Stone

Post by Thomas Stone »

Donny Hinson wrote:I don't think that would ever happen. If you put in the wrong speaker, it can fry the amp. Considering they're a company with significant "name recognition" and reputation, what they'd risk likely would be far above any return they might get.
They probably wouldn't want to offer a speakerless combo, but they could certainly offer a ToneMaster head, and I wish they would (saves even more weight!)

Heads are nothing new to Fender, they currently offer head versions of the Bassman, Bassbreaker and SuperSonic, and maybe others I don't know about. The user just has to pay attention to the power rating and impedance of whatever speaker they choose to hook up.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I have a TM Twin but I don't see them offering a head only version. If they did it would not be called a "TM Twin". The TM Twin is modeled with the supplied speakers to fully get their desired tone. A head only version would no longer be able to get the sound that the full combo amp has.

I tried my TM Twin with a Telonics TSNEO 12 speaker (sounded good but not the same) and also another 12" speaker and neither had the sound the TM Twin has with the stock speakers.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Dave Campbell

Post by Dave Campbell »

I have a TM Twin but I don't see them offering a head only version. If they did it would not be called a "TM Twin". The TM Twin is modeled with the supplied speakers to fully get their desired tone. A head only version would no longer be able to get the sound that the full combo amp has.

I tried my TM Twin with a Telonics TSNEO 12 speaker (sounded good but not the same) and also another 12" speaker and neither had the sound the TM Twin has with the stock speakers.
interesting. i just put a set of weber neo mags in there. the tone has changed completely, but it sounds much better for what i'm looking for as a pedal steel only amp.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Dave Campbell wrote: interesting. i just put a set of weber neo mags in there. the tone has changed completely, but it sounds much better for what i'm looking for as a pedal steel only amp.
Dave, please...some questions:

What was lacking with the stock speakers?
What brand were they?
What Webers' did you use, and did they add any weight?
Were they new or old?
How does it sound "better" now?

(I also want just a pedal steel amp.)
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

Has anyone tried the Tonemaster Twin with JBL speakers? That sort of defeats the purpose of having a lightweight amp, but mine would be stationary so I wouldn't be bothered if it sounded even better...