Small practice amps

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bowie Martin

Small practice amps

Post by Bowie Martin »

What is your favorite small home practice amp? Recently bought a small Peavey Envoy 110 and it seems fine. Anything better?
Emmons LeGrande II D-10, Emmons LeGrande III D-10, Emmons LeGrande III S10, Boss Katana 100, Boss Katana 50, Nashville 112
Peavey PX's Speakers, with Profex II, Nashville 1000,
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

I use my Roland AC60. Technically it’s an acoustic guitar amp, but it has a pretty sweet tone for steel too. I also plug into a Zoom recorder and run it out to a pair of Roland desktop studio monitors.
Brooks Montgomery

Post by Brooks Montgomery »

I love my Fishman Loudbox mini.
Lots of features that makes it much more than just a practice amp.
A banjo, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Silverface Princeton Reverb with a JBL 10" speaker. I also have a Peavey Backstage Plus, it's pretty good with a JBL or something else more hi-fi than the original cheap speaker it came with. But the Princeton is my favorite.
Justin Emmert

Post by Justin Emmert »

I use a small mixer and headphones. It keeps my wife from complaining about noise. But when she's out.......I crank the amp up!
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I recently bought a Line 6 Vyper. It's just a little S/S amp with an 15 watts and an 8" speaker, but it sounds pretty good clean. It's also go 3 different distortion modes, for the Telewhackers and rock windmillers. :mrgreen:

You can find used ones easy for $30-$40.

p.s. Bowie, you have two posts with the same title (Small Practice Amps). You can delete the second one before anyone responds to it.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I use on old Crate, one of the origunal ones that looked like packing crates.

I paid $35.00 for the amp, $30 to have it shipped to me, and $200 to repair the damage it sustained during shipping.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Having offloaded all my big amps I'm left with my three Roland 80XLs. They're fine for my work (always in theaters) and they're compact enough to serve as practice amps here at home too.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Tal Herbsman

Post by Tal Herbsman »

tempted to try this out:

otherwise the little yammies (thr10 series) are swell
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Like Roger, I use a Roland Cube 80. I like the tone--a bit trebly--the looper, and it is giggable.

And they are available used for 300 or less.

Chris
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

Looks like your'e an hour's drive from Guitar center in Raleigh, that would be worth dragging out your 6 stringer to try all the new ones from Boss/Roland, Fender, Vox, Blackstar etc. IF you can't try out in person, sweetwater.com has credible reviews

Me: Boss Katana, there's been good feedback (heh) in "Electronics" forum about these, https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=309914

I'd like to also try the Blackstar silverline, Fender mustang and tonemaster, Boss Nextone and Styrmon iridium pedal etc etc
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
Andy Henriksen

Post by Andy Henriksen »

Another Boss Katana 50 guy here. Good price, decent enough sound, has a line in jack so you can play along with your phone, and a headphones out jack, so you can play in the living room without annoying the family too much.

And, it makes for a nice, reliable, lightweight backup amp for gigs.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Justin Emmert wrote:I use a small mixer and headphones. It keeps my wife from complaining about noise. But when she's out.......I crank the amp up!
I do something similar - I plug my mini-rack DI into the mixer input, and the output into my (loud) hi-fi. That way I have all my FX and the option of speakers or cans, depending on the wife's whereabouts :)
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

Bowie, I bought a Peavey Backstage from Tim Mosberg. He was playing lead guitar thru it on a regular gig and mentioned he would sell it. I plugged my steel into it and played part of a set thru it. I was impressed with how it sounded and how loud it was for its size. I'll loan it to you to try out. Call me.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Jeremy Threlfall

Post by Jeremy Threlfall »

I’ve got a little Champ12 (10W - 12” speaker)
Great little amp for practice and ‘acoustic’ gigs
Greg Lambert

Post by Greg Lambert »

Vox MV 50 with a Bugera 12" turbosound speaker.

Daniel Baston

Post by Daniel Baston »

Those Vox MV50 amps are interesting! I have heard a couple clips of the Clean version that sound very good!

My at home amp for guitar and lap steel is a '67-ish Ampeg Jet that I got for very cheap a few years ago. I wasn't planning on buying an amp that day until I tried this one. I am glad I went for it! The original speaker blew and it wasn't really worth fixing. I put a Warehouse G12q in it a while back, which is perfect for playing at home. The amp sounds great at lower volume, but really has no power for gigs.

In a larger room it sounds a bit wimpy. But at home it sounds warm and has a really sweet midrange. My Telecaster and my Gibson steel match with it really well for Jazz, Honky Tonk etc. It sounds clean but never 100% clean. I still don't have a louder amp that I like as much!
Ben Michaels

Post by Ben Michaels »

Fender champion 40 is a great buy. 200.00 for an amp you can use live if you need to.
Dan Robinson

Post by Dan Robinson »

Katana 100 here. The headphone output is very "steel friendly." With my phone connected to the Aux Input it makes a great practice rig.
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

A Roland Micro Cube works fine.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post by Dan Beller-McKenna »

Well, I never would have thought to plug my pedal steel into my Fishman Loudbox Artist (current model) until I saw Brooks's comment and read this old thread from Henry Matthews. Dang! That sounds surprisingly decent! I currently find myself without a legitimate small grab and go amp, so this kills two birds with one stone: I can use this and not buy a small old Peavey amp as I had been contemplating; and I finally have a use for the Fishman, which mainly sits in waiting for the rare occasion when I need to plug in my dobro where there is no PA.
I might even venture out this Sunday to gig with this at a low-volume lunch gig I'm playing. Will report back.
Last edited by Dan Beller-McKenna on 10 Jan 2020 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

Peavey Pacer. Discret transistors. Sonunds quite a bit like the LTD.
Stephen McClurg

Post by Stephen McClurg »

Fender Rumble 40. Very light weight, solid-state, puts out a lot of sound for a 10" speaker (of course, since it's designed for bass). It has a good clean sound, and it has a "Vintage" button that adds some hair to the sound (the amount of distortion is controllable with the Gain knob). My older videos on YouTube feature this amp. No reverb, though.
Dennis Brion

Post by Dennis Brion »

Fender 25r, has head phone jack for silent practice and amazingly has rich Fender tone! Also very loud, great reverb!
1969 Custom built d10, Fender 25R practice amp,Dunlop pedal, Peavy Special 130 w/15" Blackwidow, Gretsch resonator, 41 Gibson 7 string lap steel, Epiphone flat top, 67 Epiphone Olympic