Hillman Bars

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Patrick Huey

Hillman Bars

Post by Patrick Huey »

Huge shout out to Mike Hillman . This is Charlie Norris’ Black Raja bar he gave me years ago when I started playing. Charlie pulled it out of his personal pack a seat and gave it to me. It has a ton of miles and I wanted to have it refinished. It has a lot of sentimental value to me. Mike did an absolutely awesome job and it looks and plays like new. It is now homes in airs own heavy duty plastic tube and lives in my seat, not to be used. Kept for its mighty mojo. RIP Charlie and thank you Hillman Bars!
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!
Dan Robinson

Post by Dan Robinson »

+1 for Michael Hillman's bars!

I just got a 15/16" Hillman bar as a gift from my beloved. It's the first coated bar I've had.

It's cool how it's grippy to hold, yet slippery on the strings. I like the tone and sustain of the heavier 15/16" bar.

The Hillman bar will be easier to manage than the 1" Dunlop 12-string bar I had. Very impressed so far.
Larry Baker

Post by Larry Baker »

Hillman bars are the best. its all I use. a great product at a reasonable price. Thenks Michael
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Lee, from South Texas - Down On The Rio Grande

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Patrick Huey

Post by Patrick Huey »

Lee Baucum wrote:https://tonebars.com/
Lee
Thank you for posting their website address I forgot to do that.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!
Fred Rogan

Post by Fred Rogan »

Looks like they are out of 7/8" bars. Love to try one.
Show Pro SD10 guitars
Milkman Amps
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

I think that website's not operational yet, like it says at the bottom. To order, you have to PM/email Mr. Hillman.
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
Charley Paul

Post by Charley Paul »

Cool bars!

What effect does powder coating a bar have on its functionality? I already have a BJS bar that I quite like, but am very intrigued with these...

Please tell me more!
Jim Fogarty

Post by Jim Fogarty »

Just wanted to drop in and say that Michael is one of the best and fairest people I've done business with, over the course of a few transactions. Sometimes buying from a small business/individual can be tricky, but he's on top of it and scrupulously honest.

Recommended!
Dan Robinson

Post by Dan Robinson »

Charley Paul wrote:What effect does powder coating a bar have on its functionality?
Charley, they've been described as "sticky in your hand, slippery on the strings." I've only used one for a few days, but that's how it feels to me.
Mikhail Bobrov

Post by Mikhail Bobrov »

Dan Robinson wrote: ...they've been described as "sticky in your hand, slippery on the strings."
+1. I really DO like my Hillman's bars... :)
Billy Morgan

Hillman Bars

Post by Billy Morgan »

I would like to agree with Jim Fogarty that Mike Hillman is indeed one of the best men I have every dealt with. He is completely honest and will stand by his product and do whatever it takes to satisfy you. His bars are of the highest quality and it is my opinion that they are easy to hold, but slide over the strings very smoothly and have a good tone. I live in the Anniston Alabama area and he recently refinished some bars for me and a another steel playing friend and we are completely satisfied. I highly recommend him.
Michael Hillman

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread!

Post by Michael Hillman »

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread! We greatly appreciate the kind words, and sheepishly admit that today is the first time that we noticed this particular thread. A comment was made about our Hillman tone bar website— it is a project put together by our oldest son, and we are gradually trying to get things correct on it, the variety of sizes and colors makes it a little tough to keep up with real inventory. The website is a nice convenience, but certainly the largest group of steel players interested in our bars are to be found right here on the Forum - thanks b0b!

Saddened by the loss of life, the disruption to our economy and normal way of life, and the resultant cancellation of music events that we all enjoy. We so look forward to the Sun Valley jazz and music festival each October here in Idaho, but just received word that it’s been canceled until 2022. We are hopeful to renew many acquaintances at the Dallas Show in March. Stay safe and well! Michael and Sheryl Hillman
Two Spector 5 string basses, Martin D-18, Taylor 812CE, 1944 Epiphone Zenith, a killer Luttrell 6 string resophonic, 1932 Model 56 Dobro, Beard Model E, Martin Soprano Uke, 10 string 1953 Alkire Eharp, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender Bassman, Fender 75 watt Rumble, and a Fender 100 watt Rumble.
Steve Mueller

Post by Steve Mueller »

Michael is the best. The grooved and coated bars are my favorite!
2016 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2015 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2023 Williams S12 4 x 5, Milkman Amps, 1974 Gibson Byrdland
Michael Hillman

Thanks Steve!

Thanks Steve, great doing business with you!
Two Spector 5 string basses, Martin D-18, Taylor 812CE, 1944 Epiphone Zenith, a killer Luttrell 6 string resophonic, 1932 Model 56 Dobro, Beard Model E, Martin Soprano Uke, 10 string 1953 Alkire Eharp, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender Bassman, Fender 75 watt Rumble, and a Fender 100 watt Rumble.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

These are wonderful bars,I just ordered 2 red ones,I gave one to Jon Light.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Stu Schulman wrote:These are wonderful bars,I just ordered 2 red ones,I gave one to Jon Light.
Jon said he really doesn't need any more bars and suggested you have it shipped to me!

:P
Lee, from South Texas - Down On The Rio Grande

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Larry Baker

Post by Larry Baker »

I'll say it again, best bars out there. I have 2 of them and is all I ever use.
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
Michael Hillman

Thanks Larry -

Thanks Larry, I missed seeing you at Dallas! Of course last year we missed seeing everyone at Dallas. Hoping it will happen in March 2022. Hope all is well with you and yours.