New video, PFM student.

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Daniel Phelps

New video, PFM student.

Post by Daniel Phelps »

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to share a video of me playing some basic e9 stuff. I’ve been doing the Paul Franklin Method, and I’ve been working on getting around the 4 groups, open, pedals down and A+F. It’s pretty amazing how much you can play with just AB and Fiddling with the Es.

Please feel free to share any critiques.

Also, I’m really enjoying the sho bud. I’m sure there are better guitars, but this one just has a cool vibe.

Daniel
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0DuQJFHk-Tw
Copyright © 2020 Daniel Phelps
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Good job Daniel. Sounds very nice. Hard to miss with Master Paul's tutelage. Congratulations on the unique new 'Bud too. Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Justin Emmert

Post by Justin Emmert »

From a fellow PF method student, it sounded awesome. That ShoBud sho has some killer tone too!
Kenneth Kotsay

Post by Kenneth Kotsay »

Nice tone, I like the chord progression, your sounding very good, I really enjoyed your playing.

What amp was you playing though?
What are your amp settings?

How far have you come with the Franklin's steel course?
Thanks,
Ken
Mike Bacciarini

Post by Mike Bacciarini »

Very nice Daniel. You've got a great touch going, and your bar position moves sound very accurate. Keep on havin' fun!
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.
Daniel Phelps

Post by Daniel Phelps »

Kenneth Kotsay wrote:Nice tone, I like the chord progression, your sounding very good, I really enjoyed your playing.

What amp was you playing though?
What are your amp settings?

How far have you come with the Franklin's steel course?
Thanks,
Ken
Hi Ken,
It’s an older Nashville 112 plugged in direct to a cheap Behringer USB interface, and I added some delay in the software. Eq is set as bass -3, mid -9, shift about 700hz, high and presence both on +3. Pre gain is on 6. No reverb, because I’m just not a big reverb fan, personally. The sound you’re hearing in the video is mostly the studio monitors, and they have a nice full range sound.

I don’t remember which section it’s in, but I’ve been working on dominant 7 and 9 chords in all keys, and I recently did the blues lesson. I’ve been repeatedly working on the groups exercises, and also moving the bar from fret to fret to work on better intonation. I’ve also been working on moving around and not being bashful about things like, say, playing a 3 2 1 5 1 diatonic progression over the band holding a 1 chord.

So, just little things, with being in tune and on time as the #1 goal.

I’ve went back several times and revisited the basics, as I am still building a foundation for decent fundamentals.

I cannot do anything fast. :)

Thanks everyone your nice complements. That means a lot to me.
Copyright © 2020 Daniel Phelps
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Daniel, you are doing great. Playing in tune and clean with a very good tone. The hard work is paying off. Keep it going.
Jacek Jakubek

Post by Jacek Jakubek »

I enjoyed listening to that. Tasteful and great tone.
Daniel Phelps wrote:So, just little things, with being in tune and on time as the #1 goal.
Great advice! That's all you need.