Do You Play a Remington 8/10 or 8/8?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mark Helm

Do You Play a Remington 8/10 or 8/8?

Post by Mark Helm »

Anyone ever play a Remington 8/10 or 8/8 non-pedal guitar? And comments on the Remington non-pedal guitars in general. I've only played one D8 that used to belong to Cindy Cashdollar, and it was pretty nice--smooth, buttery tone. It reminded me most of a Stringmaster, but there was a bit of Gibson and Rick in there, too....
Last edited by Mark Helm on 22 Dec 2019 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
Jeff Repp

Post by Jeff Repp »

Funny you should mention that. I had Herb build me a 10x8 non pedal steel several years ago (8-string C6, 10-string E13). Sometimes I wish I still had it, but I sold it a few years ago. Here's s picture of me playing it at a gig about 10 years ago. It was a great guitar with a few quirks but it sounded wonderful. Not like a Fender, really it's own thing - mine had E66 pickups. I understand Cindy's steelmaster had specially underwound pickups for more of a fender-like tone.

Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

I have a Steelmaster 8-8-10 and it sounds amazing.

Mark Helm

Thanks!

Post by Mark Helm »

Jeff Repp wrote:It was a great guitar with a few quirks but it sounded wonderful. Not like a Fender, really it's own thing - mine had E66 pickups. I understand Cindy's steelmaster had specially underwound pickups for more of a fender-like tone.
Thanks, Jeff! Could you be more specific about the "quirks" you note?

And, yes, Cindy's pick=ups were custom round, and had a bit more bite than the usual George Ls.

Play on!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
Mick Hearn

Post by Mick Hearn »

I got hold of a Remington D8 non pedal last August and boy am I glad I did. Now that I have got used to it. As Lloyd Green said "You have to make friends with these things" and he is certainly right. E66 pickups so it gives more of a modern sound.

This is a recording of an unreleased song written by a song writer from New Zealand. My daughter on vocal and she did most of the work. Then she asked me to put steel on it so used the Remington and also popped in some guitar work as well. Was pleased with the Remington sound. C6 with high G.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcfLbmEFM5U
ShoBud 6139, Remington Steelmaster D8, National D8 Console x 2, George Boards Lap Steel, National New Yorker.
Daniel McKee

Post by Daniel McKee »

May be wrong but didn't John Bechtel at one time own a triple neck with 10 strings on each neck?
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

yeah, John had that Triple 10. It is still out there somewhere. He had it for sale for over a year I think on the forum. He refused to lower the price. Not sure if it ever sold.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Nice playing Mick. Are you doing some string pulls at the minute 15 mork or so.
Jeff Repp

Post by Jeff Repp »

Here’s a link to my original for sale post. Nice pictures of Mark’s new guitar.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... highlight=

Enjoy!
Mick Hearn

Post by Mick Hearn »

Bill McCloskey wrote:Nice playing Mick. Are you doing some string pulls at the minute 15 mork or so.
No string pulls Bill - all slants and straight bar stuff. I think the notes you are referring to was a quick move of the bar up a fret and back.
ShoBud 6139, Remington Steelmaster D8, National D8 Console x 2, George Boards Lap Steel, National New Yorker.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

nice playing