Steel Guitar in Hawaii

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Paul Hutzler

Steel Guitar in Hawaii

Post by Paul Hutzler »

I'm going to the big island in Hawaii and wondered if there might be any steel guitar museums or live music I should check out. Thanks. Hopefully, this is the right section to post in...
Carter S-10, Shobud D-10, Shobud Pro II D-10, Supro 8 String Lap Steel, Regal Black Lightening Dobro, and Excel D-10 with 10 pickups one for each string, one string for each amp
David Matzenik

Post by David Matzenik »

It depends on when you are going. According to the Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association news letter, the 3rd annual Hawai'i steel guitar festival will be held February 7-9, 2020, at the Mauna Lani resort in Kamuela.
Don't go in the water after lunch. You'll get a cramp and drown. - Mother.
Nic Neufeld

Post by Nic Neufeld »

I imagine most of the musicians (other than ones just doing it for fun) will be on the Kona side, given that seems to be where all the tourism-centered places are, resorts/luaus etc. (that said, I prefer the other side...cooler, greener, and the Hamakua coast is beautiful!)

This guy might play at the Kona airport:
https://www.hawaiisteelguitarfestival.c ... right.html

When I went I just took my guitar along...the only steel guitar I heard on the big island, outside of my own playing, was some background music in a gift shop up by Waipi'o Valley. Enjoy your trip!
Waikīkī, at night when the shadows are falling
I hear the rolling surf calling
Calling and calling to me
Kirk Francis

big island music

Post by Kirk Francis »

"kanikapila"--with dwight tokumoto on his fry pan--usually plays early tuesday nights at the hilo town tavern. da best!
The mainland is intimidating, bewildering, and uncomfortable. And you have to wear shoes. -- Theroux.
Paul Hutzler

Post by Paul Hutzler »

cool thanks!
Carter S-10, Shobud D-10, Shobud Pro II D-10, Supro 8 String Lap Steel, Regal Black Lightening Dobro, and Excel D-10 with 10 pickups one for each string, one string for each amp