The new Russler Steels

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dwight Lewis

The new Russler Steels

Post by Dwight Lewis »

What happened to the NEW and up coming Russler guitar company?

Dwight
Dekley (PRS-10C), BMI S12
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

It would appear that they bit the Dust. I cannot get in touch with anyone. It is a shame. They could at least make a post on here what their status is. But I could be wrong. J.R.
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Is that the one by Russ Hicks?
Erv
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

Randy stopped building them for some reason. They're great guitars. I'm playing my 3rd one and I love it. Russ doesn't build guitars. It is a shame that they're not being made.

Tony
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Tony Dingus wrote:Randy stopped building them for some reason. They're great guitars. I'm playing my 3rd one and I love it. Russ doesn't build guitars. It is a shame that they're not being made.

Tony
I believe Russ did come out with a line of steel guitars. There were 2 different companies with the Russler/Rustler name. The Rustler steels were produced decades ago (70's or 80's). I believe that had an undercarriage similar to a ZB. The Russler steels had a modern undercarriage. Whether Russ built them, or was just affiliated with them, I don't know.

Www.russlersteelguitars.com
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Dwight Lewis

Russler steels

Post by Dwight Lewis »

Oh, wow. These guitars seemed to be on the rise. Good sound. Thought it was strange that they dissapeared without a trace.

Dwight
Dekley (PRS-10C), BMI S12
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

The guitar associated with Russ Hicks was a very fine guitar. I was at a steel show where they were on display and they didn't have to take a back seat for anyone. :D
Erv
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Did I hear once that they were made from Performance guitar parts acquired when Jerry Brightman passed?
Dustin Rigsby

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

Jim Cohen wrote:Did I hear once that they were made from Performance guitar parts acquired when Jerry Brightman passed?
From what I was told, the plans were acquired from jerry before his passing, as they were already in production before he died. I believe they are no longer building guitars. John Billings knows more about it.
D.S. Rigsby
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Larry Ray Miller

Russler guitar.

Post by Larry Ray Miller »

I own the fourth one built. I got it used. It is a great guitar. I have played a lot of guitar brands. The Russler has the most sustain. The company is out of business. No one answers the phone, or email. I finally got it set up to suite me. I am satisfied, but I would have appreciated a little help from the builders. Larry
MSA Classic,Rustler Eldorado,Nashville 112, Session 500, Gretch, Ovation.
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Well, At the risk of putting my foot in my mouth I will add a little info. I do not know how much Russ Hicks was involved meaning did he help fund the purchase of the Performance guitar parts, non built guitars etc. In the beginning you could contact a Randy Widerman in Nebraska and buy some parts. I know he had a day job and only did the work on the new Russler after hours. I do not know if Russ help him with building or not. They build some Beautiful guitars and Russ promoted them. But the early Russler guitar was a Performance guitar in every way. I am guessing when they ran out of end pieces and parts they closed up shop. I just wish that Randy or Russ would step up and tell us something. But they just went away. I had a Rose colored SD-10 Performance that was as sweet as they came. I now have a Black SD-10 that is just as sweet if not sweeter. They are an outstanding guitar. And the Russler's I have seen are the same way. Maybe some day they will show up. J.R.Rose
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Gary Cosden

Post by Gary Cosden »

I bought the red SD-10 from J R Rose and still have it. Great guitar! When I bought it Randy would answer the phone & respond to emails. He was actually quite helpful . Sold me the parts to add 2 pedals and move knee a knee lever. Since then he has just stopped responding. I have no idea why and perhaps life is just getting in the way for Randy at this point. Its an impressive guitar in general IMHO.
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Got this one some time ago. What a Beauty She is. Plays great and feels great and Sounds Great. I love her .
Great design and overall good engineering. I put a Wallace TT pickup in her and it matches very well.
This has got to be in the late 90's or early 2000.
Wish I knew. It is a shame they did not catch on. A very well designed guitar.J.R. Rose