Maybe Off Topic but I need advice

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Fred Hedgecoth

Post by Fred Hedgecoth »

Got burned recently by a seller on eBay after I won a brand new 2014 Mullen Royal Precision...he cancelled claiming damage done in shipping but I'm not buying it. Fortunately I did get a full refund. Anyway, I'm a beginner but advanced in years (68) and plan to spend the remaining ones learning this beautiful instrument. The eBay auction got me so stoked on a high quality guitar I hate to get one that's just so-so or under-equipped and may have to be replaced in the future. And believe it or not, the wife says go for it and get what you want! Before I commit to a builder I'd like to know what the community might suggest. I'd sure appreciate it! Thanks! (BTW, I'm flogging a Sho-Bud Maverick right now and hate to waste any more time on it1)
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Dan Kelly

Post by Dan Kelly »

Sierrasteels.com
blah, blah, blah.
Hey You Kids! Get Off My Lawn!
blah, blah, blah.
Brad Easley

Post by Brad Easley »

Uneducated opinion of an amateur: a good Zumsteel is hard to beat (and find).
Fred Hedgecoth

Post by Fred Hedgecoth »

Brad...tell me about it! I've been watching for one for quite awhile with no success.
Mike Selecky

Post by Mike Selecky »

One of the best values on a new steel - Williams

http://www.williamsguitarcompany.com/
Daniel McKee

Post by Daniel McKee »

Nothing against ebay because I've certainly bought enough from them but in recent years, have had more problems. My opinion only but I would check out some of the great builders websites and compare features that appeal to you. Lots of great options out there. GFI, Mullen, BMI (this one kinda gets overlooked a lot)Williams, Sierra, MSA etc... either way you cant go wrong with these. I loved my shobud maverick but if I were you I'd certainly consider a new guitar. Best of luck
Karen Sarkisian

Post by Karen Sarkisian »

Sorry about eBay and your Mullen ! There are so many nice guitars out there, there’s really no “best”. So much of it is personal preference. I were you I’d buy something decent and not too complicated to start learning on, then use the extra money to go to the big steel guitar show in Dallas where you can sit and play a bunch of guitars and see what one you like. Unfortunately, many of us (myself included) find there is not one but many that we like ! :wink: :lol:
Emmons PP, Mullen G2 and Discovery
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

With your information, Showing you live in Virginia. If it is not to long a drive to Billy Cooper's Steel Guitar Shop, Orange, Virginia. I would suggest you call Billy & Wanda,(540) 854-5940 verify they will be in the store. Take your picks and bar with you. You will able to look at steel guitars, Sit down and Play them. Pick them up to see how heavy they are. He is dealer for several brands, Fesseden, GFI and I believe Mullins, And used guitars that he has put in playing order.

I have been to his store a couple times, Makes me feel like a kid in a Candy Store.
Good Luck in finding the guitar of your dreams, Happy Steelin.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Fred, welcome to the forum and good luck with your journey!
On a point of order regarding the title of your post, you can't be off-topic - it's your topic!
If you buy new, all the current builders are dedicated people who produce no bad guitars.
If you buy used on the forum you'll be much safer than on Ebay! And the sum total of knowledge here is formidable.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Justin Emmert

Post by Justin Emmert »

Go to Billy Coopers!
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

There are only a handful of dedicated steel guitar dealers anywhere in the US - you're lucky enough to have one of the best in your home state.

Plan a trip to Billy and Wanda Cooper!
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Fred Hedgecoth

Post by Fred Hedgecoth »

Thanks everyone for your advice. I decided to go with a Mullen Discovery model that I found used but mint on Reverb.com. $1800 seemed more than reasonable so if all goes well with the sale I'm a happy camper!
John McClung

Re: Maybe Off Topic but I need advice

Post by John McClung »

Bobby D. Jones wrote:With your information, Showing you live in Virginia. If it is not to long a drive to Billy Cooper's Steel Guitar Shop, Orange, Virginia. I would suggest you call Billy & Wanda,(540) 854-5940 verify they will be in the store. Take your picks and bar with you. You will able to look at steel guitars, Sit down and Play them. Pick them up to see how heavy they are. He is dealer for several brands, Fesseden, GFI and I believe Mullins, And used guitars that he has put in playing order.

I have been to his store a couple times, Makes me feel like a kid in a Candy Store.
Good Luck in finding the guitar of your dreams, Happy Steelin.
What Bobby said! Kick some tires if at all possible. A store is better/quieter than a steel show. If you have a good amp, bring that with you to get a true idea of how the amp and steel sound together.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Jon Voth

Post by Jon Voth »

Fred I am also advanced in years (50) and learning this as a new instrument.

Add me to plug Billy Cooper's. I have a GFI D10 from him. He deals in GFI and also Fendessen I believe, and also has a lot of used inventory. Mr. & Mrs. Cooper are a delight to work with. It's been a great instrument.

My next might be a Mullen G2. It's great that your other half is supportive. You are lucky. Get what you want! Let us know.