Slightly Off Topic question on new guitars

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Fred Hedgecoth

Slightly Off Topic question on new guitars

Post by Fred Hedgecoth »

Got burned recently by a seller on eBay after I won a brand new 2014 Mullen Royal Precision...he cancelled claiming damage done in shipping but I'm not buying it. Fortunately I did get a full refund. Anyway, I'm a beginner but advanced in years (6Cool and plan to spend the remaining ones learning this beautiful instrument. The eBay auction got me so stoked on a high quality guitar I hate to get one that's just so-so or under-equipped and may have to be replaced in the future. And believe it or not, the wife says go for it and get what you want! Before I commit to a builder I'd like to know what the community might suggest. I'd sure appreciate it! Thanks! (BTW, I'm flogging a Sho-Bud Maverick right now and hate to waste any more time on it!)
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth
John Haspert

New Guitar

Post by John Haspert »

Hi Fred, Welcome to our "insane" group, meant in a GOOD Way. I would be very, very careful with Flea-Bay. The Forum here has a great group of folks and you can usually get some feedback on the sellers from doing some searches etc. As for the Maverick, it had a purpose, I guess, but there are many other options in today's world. Certainly, Mullen, GFI, Williams, Fessy, Justice, Stage 1, Show-Pro and Excel to name a few all make superb instruments. If you want to go vintage with a Sho-Bud, Zum or Emmons, there are good resources here to help you. Personally, I would stick to the Forum and avoid the music stores, UNLESS THEY SPECIALIZE IN STEEL GUITARS, or use a seller that you know personally. Just my 2 cents, YMMV
Pedal Steel Guitar is "Music from Heaven"
Bill Lowe

Post by Bill Lowe »

My vote would be Mullen. Contact Mike, he will steer you in the right direction.
JCH D10, 71 D10 P/p fat back, Telonics TCA 500C--12-,Fender JBL Twin, Josh Swift signature.
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

Go to Billy Coopers Steel Guitar Store in Orange, Virginia.
You can try out a lot of guitars and get some good advice in person from honest people.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Give Fred Justice, www.justicesteelguitars.com a call.
He is a good guy and builds a great instrument! :D
Erv
John Herb

Post by John Herb »

Another plus for Billy Coopers you won't regret the visit.
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

Welcome to the forum and steeldom!

It's best to look at ebay PSG listings really carefully, I see some reputable sellers there that also list steels in the forums here and Reverb, but there's also ones that make me nervous: "Don't know anything about the instrument but i can take more pictures" combined w/"No refunds!"

I have a Stage 1 and a Mullen, I would recommend looking at the Zum Encore model from Doug Earnest, who's too modest to mention it, in addition to Mullen and other excellent recommendations in thread
Last edited by Gene Tani on 21 Nov 2019 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

Doug Earnest wrote:Go to Billy Coopers Steel Guitar Store in Orange, Virginia.
You can try out a lot of guitars and get some good advice in person from honest people.
Doug is telling you the right thing to do. Everyone has their own opinion of what's the best. Go to Billy Cooper's or Steel Guitars of Nashville or an actual steel guitar store. Play everything and buy what feels and sounds good to you. MSA and Jackson are two more options as well.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

Jim Palenscar at Steel Guitars of North County is a great resource. Mickey Adams is also worth contacting.

Both are forum members.
Pat Moore

Post by Pat Moore »

Hey Fred,
Being in Va. go see & talk with Billy Cooper. Lots of guidance & history there & Billy will put you on the right path. I don't know where you are here in Va., but I'm 2 hrs away & still try to get there as often as I can.
He & Wanda are wonderful folks.
Check out their website:
billycooperssteelguitar.com

Welcome to the club!
Pat
Roddy Ring

Post by Roddy Ring »

Another vote for Billy Cooper
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

I am in a similar position. I wanted a steel that was new, light, well made, and easy to sell if it didn’t work out. I ordered a zumsteel encore.
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Billy Cooper is a good choice he’ has to be one of the most knowledgeable steel guitar people you could hope too fine.
Nicholas Scott

Post by Nicholas Scott »

I second Billy Coopers. Billy and Wanda are great. I'm in the Hampton Roads area if you ever need any steel related help, feel free to shoot me a PM.
Emmons D10 PP, Peavey Nashville 112, Quilter Steelaire, Goodrich OMNI VP, And Sarno Black Box, Walker Steel Seat
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Fred, welcome and good luck. On a point of order, you can't be off-topic - it's your topic! :)
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Fred Hedgecoth

Post by Fred Hedgecoth »

Thanks everyone for your advice. I decided to go with a Mullen Discovery model that I found used but mint on Reverb.com. $1800 seemed more than reasonable so if all goes well with the sale I'm a happy camper!
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Let us know how it turns out! ;-)