"Revisit" Reverb tanks!

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Josh Yenne

"Revisit" Reverb tanks!

Post by Josh Yenne »

Hey guys,

So I LOVE me an old, rusty, one of a kind reverb tank in my vintage Fenders but I had one that was SO tired I decided to replace it... I had heard about the newish company Revisit that has come on the scene..

A tiny bit more expensive than the MOD's or the current Accutronics I swapped it into my 65 Deluxe and it sounds GREAT. I got just the straight 2 string replacement and for my money it sounds way better than any of the MOD's or Accutronics (modern) that I've used.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Old devices have a distinctive sound than even the cleverest digits never quite match.
In recording studios the old echo plates will never be beat.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

In the range of cost, the tad higher price should not be a deterrent, but I'd like to know which MOD tank you are comparing to this new Revisit and how do define the "better" difference by comparison with the MOD?

Not being smart, just like to know.
Michael Butler

Post by Michael Butler »

as jerry mentioned, would like to know the details also.

i swapped a reverb tank, a MOD(in both ways)for a shorter decay in my vox ac15c1 and it gives a more straight forward reverb sound that doesn't turn into mush. so, which MOD and which decay?

this is the one i used. medium decay.

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products ... y-3-spring

play music!
please see my Snakeskin's Virtual Music Museum below.

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/
Tim Marcus

Post by Tim Marcus »

Those look a lot like the TAD reverb tanks, wonder if they are the same?
Steve Sycamore

Post by Steve Sycamore »

Ian Rae wrote: In recording studios the old echo plates will never be beat.
Not so many of us have one or two of those expensive old classics with rooms to contain them. But I do use the high quality UA emulation of the EMT 140. The Demeter RV-1D dual spring reverb clearly beats it when you run the stereo outputs into a stereo expander that is controlled by the source side-chain signal. Pure vintage sound with exceptionally nice stereo imaging (which the old plates tend to smother).
Steven Paris

Post by Steven Paris »

But that Demeter is $800!!!
Emmons & Peavey
Steve Sycamore

Post by Steve Sycamore »

Yupp, But the monophonic EMT 140 probably sells these days for 10 or 20 times that. And the unit is a fraction of the cost of a Telonics amp setup. If you're going for the best sound possible, why settle for a $150 low end Lexicon?
Steven Paris

Post by Steven Paris »

It seems the Revisit tanks are getting rave reviews:
"After a first test, I can definitely say it [Revisit]'s a great pan compared to the MOD. Where the MOD sounds washed out and less drippy, the Revisit sound drippy and a little more aggressive while keeping a refined and articulate sound (including a more defined attack). I'd say it sound a lot more like 1st wave recordings than the MOD."
"I highly recommend trying out Revisit pans from Studio Sound Electronics. They do cost a little more, but given the distinctly better sonic quality, consistency, and incredible customer service & support, it is totally worth it!"
"I found Revisit tanks sound the best -- closest to the latter-year U.S.-made Accutronics tanks -- of all the new-production brands. I have tried MOD, Belton, and Asian Accutronics; all three emitted a ringing feedback and had poor reverberation characteristics."
Emmons & Peavey
Josh Yenne

Post by Josh Yenne »

Ha.. this is an OLD thread but as I go on to buy another Revisit tank to replace an old one in my old Deluxe Reverb that just has gotten too cranky to gig with. I see this thread....

Cause the only place I've ever bought them is in Florida.. and I was searching to see if there might be a place closer cause the place in FLA takes FOREVER to get here.... and I saw this.

Just an update I STILL think these tans freaking rule and are the best modern tanks I've found.

This was forever ago Tim Marcus have you played em yet? Thoughts?
Josh Yenne

Post by Josh Yenne »

oh and "BETTER"

I just never liked the MODS... dont exactly remember why but it was the tone and feel obviously.. thats aobut all there is...

I feel the Revisits just feel the most like and old real Hammond or something from back in the 60's... warm and not too splashy etc....

sorry.. its hard to describe sound as we all know!
Boo Bernstein

Post by Boo Bernstein »

Josh (or anyone) - Would you have any idea which Revisit reverb tank would work with a Peavey Nashville 112?

https://www.amprepairparts.com/reverb.htm
Josh Yenne

Post by Josh Yenne »

I do not. But they have a thing on there called “ask a tech“ and even though I find the one I want I always confirm with them because all those model numbers and different impedances and all that are freaking complicated.

And they are super quick with it and always will help you out. And I just ordered another one that just showed up today. And they said to me that they wish more people would ask rather than ordering the wrong thing and then return it. So just go on to the site find the one you think and then ask they will be quick to respond.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

The information is listed there on the link you have. Just scroll down several models until you see the NV112 listed in the application notes.
Josh Yenne

Post by Josh Yenne »

It totally is! But I'm always scared cause things change over the years and that is probably there.. so I always ask...and they said they love that if you are at ALL not sure.....
Boo Bernstein

Post by Boo Bernstein »

Thanks, Josh and Jerry.

Josh - I emailed them and got a response within an hour! It was, indeed, the one that they recommended on their site; I'm glad I got a confirmation.

Thanks again!
Drew Manne

Post by Drew Manne »

These tanks use the same exact components as the Mod tanks, sound the same, and are more expensive. Save your money.
Tim Marcus

Post by Tim Marcus »

Yeah they seem to be the same as MOD, maybe they spec them a bit differently or adjust the springs manually and slap their new sticker on.

I will say that in general, I really like the MOD tanks. I have used thousands of them over the years and only had a few go bad, and when they do go bad they are pretty inexpensive to replace (and easy to find)

I agree that they might sound very different in a Fender amp - but for me in my amplifiers where I get to voice the reverb for the MOD tank specifically, I think they are pretty great.
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

My N112 reverb hums badly(no it didn't forget the words)when ever I try to turn it's knob above 4. I was told this was concidered normal by PV. I wonder if one of these tanks would stop the hum? RP
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Karl Paulsen

Post by Karl Paulsen »

Ron Pruter wrote:My N112 reverb hums badly(no it didn't forget the words)when ever I try to turn it's knob above 4. I was told this was concidered normal by PV. I wonder if one of these tanks would stop the hum? RP
It wasn't a NV112, but when I put a MOD tank in my Peavey Reno, it dropped the hum level. Not completely, but definitely a noticeable improvement.
Nickel and Steel. Sad Songs and Steel Guitar.
https://www.facebook.com/NickelandSteel

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/
Karl Paulsen

Post by Karl Paulsen »

Ron Pruter wrote:My N112 reverb hums badly(no it didn't forget the words)when ever I try to turn it's knob above 4. I was told this was concidered normal by PV. I wonder if one of these tanks would stop the hum? RP
It wasn't a NV112, but when I put a MOD tank in my Peavey Reno, it dropped the hum level. Not completely, but definitely a noticeable improvement.
Nickel and Steel. Sad Songs and Steel Guitar.
https://www.facebook.com/NickelandSteel

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/
Jay Jessup

Post by Jay Jessup »

My PV Nash 112 developed a annoying hum and after reading threads on fixes and trying everything I found replacing the tank fixed it all! I ordered mine from Stew-Mac and have no idea what kind of tank it was.
Then I sold the amp!
Jay Jessup

Post by Jay Jessup »

My PV Nash 112 developed a annoying hum and after reading threads on fixes and trying everything I found replacing the tank fixed it all! I ordered mine from Stew-Mac and have no idea what kind of tank it was.
Then I sold the amp!