Lloyd Green Steel Intro - Really Great Blocking

Written music for steel guitar

Moderator: Ricky Davis

Greg Cutshaw

Lloyd Green Steel Intro - Really Great Blocking

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Tough riff to play but a good test of your blocking skills. The lead in notes can be used all over the place in different songs and fills.

Hear Riff!

Hear Riff at half speed!

YouTube Video

Tab in pdf format

Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Great work; great tab Greg...thanks.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Colin Swinney

Post by Colin Swinney »

This is a fun one, thank you Greg!
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Nice job, Greg!
Paul Wade

Post by Paul Wade »

wow great riff going to give my fingers a work out :whoa:
thanks Greg
Alexander Rehfeld

Post by Alexander Rehfeld »

My kind of music, thank you! :D
1974 Sho Bud "The Professional"; 2017 Show Pro D 10; BJS Bar "John Hughey"; Goodrich Steel Driver III; Live Steel Strings
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I was given a reel to reel tape of Bobbe Seymour playing steel at a Ray Price practice session. The recording mic was placed near Bobbe's amp and you could barely hear Ray singing. The most impressive thing about his playing to the palm blocking. He played those 4 lead in notes and they were all super clear and distinct. I had not yet learned to block strings but know at that point that I must work harder if I wanted to get that awesome sound. After a few weeks of focused and determined practice I got that sound and after a few months I was able to block without my entire hand jump up and down like a yoyo.

Lloyd might not be considered a fast player by some but this riff and even many slower songs required super fast moves to re-position the right of left hands or fingers between notes.

Many thanks to those who post these great old tunes on YouTube! There is so much great music on YouTube that I often get drawn away from the steel guitar, Louis Shelton's layer of three guitars on the Monkees' Last Train To Clarksville and other tune's is so astounding. He actually shows all three parts on his web site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L6Vin-5188

How can you not want to pick up a guitar and try that out?

Very distracting but it's great that we can not only listen to this music but slow it down without turning down the speed pulley belt on the old Dual turntable.
Alexander Rehfeld

Post by Alexander Rehfeld »

Amen! Check out this wonderful track he cut with Bob Luman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77r04iImO_E
1974 Sho Bud "The Professional"; 2017 Show Pro D 10; BJS Bar "John Hughey"; Goodrich Steel Driver III; Live Steel Strings
Greg Lambert

Post by Greg Lambert »

Thanks Greg , another challenge...
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Nice tune, never heard that one before. Pete Wade's style really in with what Lloyd was doing. Always liked Bob Lumen's Let's Think About Livin'.
Josh Yenne

Post by Josh Yenne »

great little run thanks!
Josh Yenne

Post by Josh Yenne »

I would love to know how everyone is fingering that first run when they just naturally sit down and do it...

Found my self back on this thread looking for something to practice tonight and I"m always interested in Lloyd phrases...

I think without thinking about it I default to:

T
I
M
T
T
T
M
T

if that makes sense!

Mostly I dont think about my fingering as much as I used to but I realize I might be making it harder on myself.

I wonder how Lloyd would do it as well?
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I play the first two notes on string 9, TT and that's how I've seen most others play it years ago. I just like the fat sound of the thumb pick repeated on the lower notes.