New Build Done

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Bill Groner

New Build Done

Post by Bill Groner »

I like certain things on all guitars, old and new. I traced the body from a Rogue I bought. It sat nicely on my lap and I liked that. I didn't however care for the head so I modified that to suit me. I was about 90% done when it hit me. This one would have been a great candidate for a 22.5" scale with 7 strings......maybe next time. This is the first one I built out of maple with a Lace pickup. Very pleased with the sound, sustain and color.
Last edited by Bill Groner on 1 Nov 2019 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Michael Deering

lap steel

Post by Michael Deering »

wow I wish I had your skill! The steel sure looks right to me.
1939 & 1940 RICKENBACHER B6'S
FENDER STEELKING, FENDER 5F1
Joe Elk

Post by Joe Elk »

Wow Bill
Joe Elk Central Ohio
Mike A Holland

Post by Mike A Holland »

Looks great Bill......and I get your thoughts regarding the 7 string and the headstock design!
LaVern Skarzenski

Post by LaVern Skarzenski »

Very nice!! Bill. Of course your previous ones have all been beauties too.
LaVern
GFI S10, BSG S10, Nashville 112, Digitech 155, DOD DFX9 Digital Delay, Goodrich L 120.
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

That’s a Cool lap
Chris Boyd

Post by Chris Boyd »

Unique and beautiful ! :whoa:
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

Terrific as always, Bill. Looks like that Alumitone pickup would easily handle a seventh string on your next build. Did you make the fretboard? I need a similar one for a Rickenbacker project.
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

I did make the fret board. I used a sheet of laminated pick guard material. I think I got it off of eBay. I milled through the first layer about .015 deep to expose the white layer and that was my fret. Frets are .040 wide. The markers I got off of eBay as well. They are stickers made to look like mother of pearl. I believe you can get about 3 or 4 fret boards from one sheet.
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

This is a picture of the same lap steel. I changed my mind half way through the build after seeing several members blonde colored lap steels. It was a lot of sanding to get the turquoise off, but I'm happier with the Almond Pearl color. Bill, this is also a fret board made from pick guard material.
Last edited by Bill Groner on 1 Nov 2019 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kris Youngsteadt

Post by Kris Youngsteadt »

Thanks for sharing, Bill. I would like to build a lap steel at some point. Nice work!
David Knutson

Post by David Knutson »

Nice job, Bill. I see you were going for the classic Chevy vibe before you changed your mind on color. I like the Almond Pearl, but don't completely forget about the Belair. Never know when you might be playing some retro '50s diner. :D
David K
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

First of all, thank you guys for your positive comments. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

David, I saw a '57 Chevy Belair convertible at a car show with the top down and in the back seat was a turquoise and white Fender Strat to match the interior and the paint.

When I started to build this one I thought maybe a car guy would see it, and want to buy it for a wall hanger in his garage, (climate controlled of course!) or a prop in the backseat of his Chevy? However, after going through all the trials with this one, then hearing the finished product, I'm afraid I won't be selling it.

As far as playing it in a 50's Retro diner, that won't happen. In 3 years I have improved my playing a good amount, however I am a builder, not a player. I wish I would be able to do both, but at my age, I can't realistically see that happening. I build 'em better then I play 'em. The building and playing both make me happy, so it's all good in my book. It's a very enjoyable hobby.
:D
Eric Gross

Post by Eric Gross »

That's pretty nice Bill -- when can I come over and take it for a test drive?
C. E. Jackson

Re: New Build Done

Post by C. E. Jackson »

Bill Groner wrote:I like certain things on all guitars, old and new. I traced the body from a Rogue I bought. It sat nicely on my lap and I liked that. I didn't however care for the head so I modified that to suit me. I was about 90% done when it hit me. This one would have been a great candidate for a 22.5" scale with 7 strings......maybe next time. This is the first one I built out of maple with a Lace pickup. Very pleased with the sound, sustain and color.
Very nice, Bill. I like the head design and tuner arrangement, and also the strings
anchoring through the body.

C. E. Jackson :)
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

Eric Gross wrote:That's pretty nice Bill -- when can I come over and take it for a test drive?
Sent you a PM Eric.......see you next week? :D
Billy Gilbert

Home built lap steel

Post by Billy Gilbert »

Very Nice. Mine look like they were roughed out with an axe and chain saw.
David Becker

Post by David Becker »

another "Beauty by BIll." Great stuff, as always.