Pvy Nash 400 Molex Connector- Reverb

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Josh Dubin

Post by Josh Dubin »

I'm trying to troubleshoot no reverb on my N400. Took out the tank checked springs and connectors-all good. I'm trying to check at the Molex connector, check pin connectors and spray lube/cleaner.. (picture below). Is the Molex supposed to pull out from the chassis or is it hardwired inside the head? I can't get it to pull off and I don't want to force anything. If it's hardwired inside I'm just going to take it to my local tech.

Thankins!
Josh D.

Image :?:
Josh Dubin
Nashville, TN
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

It pulls off. Seeing as how it is difficult to remove, I would think the pins are tight.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Josh Dubin

Post by Josh Dubin »

Ok thanks! I'll break out the pliers or vise grip and get 'er done.
Josh Dubin
Nashville, TN
George Kimery

PVY Molex connector reverb

Post by George Kimery »

FWIW, I had a new Nashville 112 if you turned the reverb up past 4, it had a bad hum. I called Mike Brown at Peavey. He said they had a batch of 112's go out with the molex connector plugged in backwards on the chassis end. I reversed the plug and all was well. This was quiet a few years ago.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

The Nashville 112 does not use a Molex connector for the reverb connection. It uses a different type of connector.

The Molex connector on a Nashville 400 is keyed. I've run across those that were very tight and took pliers to get it off. That doesn't mean it has a good connection.

As far as the pan, just because the connections look good, a transducer can still be bad (open). An ohmmeter is needed to check continuity.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Price Porter

Moles connecters/ Austin days

Post by Price Porter »

Hi,howdy Josh dubin! Your posting brought back a memory from the early 70's scene in austin.i was working at Willie's austin opry house,and got to see and hear, you and Jimmy day playing double steel guitars with David allen Coe,in the VIP lounge,as a trio!
Josh Dubin

Post by Josh Dubin »

Thanks Jack. I'll see if I can get the Molex off and check & clean that end, and if all good I'll take a 2nd look at the tank..

Hey Price. Good to hear from you. Lord knows I logged a lot of hours at the Opry House but I can't remember this gig with DAC and Mr. Day. Are you sure it wasn't my buddy, Stu Schulman? I do remember playing side by side with Day at a killer jam session out in Oak Hill w/Milton Carroll, CCody's band and others. Playing alongside Jimmy was a thrill to remember.
Josh Dubin
Nashville, TN
Price Porter

Molex

Post by Price Porter »

Yes,I guess I had seen your precision picking at the main stage. I took some lessons from stu way back then.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Geez,Price,and Josh on the same thread...I'm in good company!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

I was just doing this same thing last nite,trying to get a NV 400 ready to do a couple of out of town things this week...the Molex is keyed,like Jack said...as it turns out,the tank in mine is bad...I took the tank out of a NV 112 and plugged it in...decay too long but it worked good...good luck,Josh!
Josh Dubin

Post by Josh Dubin »

Steve:

That's funny. After finally pulling the thing out like an impacted tooth, sprayed all the contacts with cleaner, still no dice, so it must be the tank. (Unless the rev drive just decided to quit, which I doubt). I'm just going to look for a new tank. Happy Trails....
Josh Dubin
Nashville, TN
Bill A. Moore

Post by Bill A. Moore »

Maybe nothing, but I used to carry a soldering iron back in the day. Sometimes the gravel washboard roads would flex the springs enough to break one of the wires going to the transducers.
Once while loading in at a bar in AZ, the good ole boys were "helping" us with equipment, and flirting with the girls. One fellow was so busy watching my sister in law that he slammed her amp into the door sill! (That tank was replaced when we got home!)
Ken Fox

Tank test

Post by Ken Fox »

If you have an ohm meter you can test the input and output coils. First test it from the Molex plug. That will allow access to the input and output coil. If you see an open on either then go to the tank itself and test the coils at the backside of the female RCA jacks.
An open, no reading indicates an open coil or open lead wire from the Molex connector
Last edited by Ken Fox on 15 Oct 2019 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Fox

Reverb

Post by Ken Fox »