Stupid Question of the Day

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

M J Scott

Stupid Question of the Day

Post by M J Scott »

Some years ago when my left hand was acting up, I bought a lap steel and the Byrd learning method book. My hand issues solved themselves and I went back to my fretted instruments. Well now the issues have returned and I’m about to re-engage with the lap steel. On to the question.......(for those who have waded through the Byrd program) is it necessary to go through the “preliminary “ tunings or just go directly to say C6 and start from there? Jus curious......

Thanks, Mike
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

Don't know the answer to your question, but Fret not.
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
C. E. Jackson

Post by C. E. Jackson »

M. J., there is really a lot of good information in the course before you get to C6.
I periodically have gone back through most of the course just as a review. But, I
go through several of the old courses periodically as a review. A waste of time
for me???? I feel the review is worthwhile.

C. E. Jackson :)
Nic Neufeld

Post by Nic Neufeld »

It's a good question, as I bought the book myself, and never used it much...in part because I was already moving towards C6, and the first half of the book was pushing me towards open tunings I wasn't going to use much. Maybe someday it'll be something I revisit for fun and broadening my experience...

I guess you could start at the C6 point, the question would be if the material is too complex or difficult at that point in the course if you're just starting out. You could try at the C6 point but if you get frustrated and find it too difficult, it might be worth restringing and going to the beginning of the course as I'd wager Jerry sort of builds it up slowly from there. No one wants to be dumped into reverse slants and the like when they first start playing with a steel :)
Waikīkī, at night when the shadows are falling
I hear the rolling surf calling
Calling and calling to me
David Matzenik

Post by David Matzenik »

I have not looked at the Byrd method book, but I have delved into methods for different instruments and styles. It is my conclusion that if you get one thing out of a book, it has been worth the trouble.
Don't go in the water after lunch. You'll get a cramp and drown. - Mother.