Buddy Charleston emmons d-10 ??

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paul Wade

Buddy Charleston emmons d-10 ??

Post by Paul Wade »

just wondering about buddy's emmons he is playing in this clip. it's got such great tone and i know it has to do also with buddy's playing. but does any one know about this steel also what amp was he playing thru
where is that steel now??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK_qrg4Jz20

p.w
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

The steel playing is indeed splendid, as is BC's tone.

I hadn't realised that Mr Tubb was so 'pitchy'! Not the genre's greatest singer.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Ernest wasn't the best singer but he always had a great band behind him, bless his heart. :D
Erv

Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

The amp is a Sho-Bud Compactra 100. It is a 38 watt amp built for Sho-Bud by Jim Evans. Great tone.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
john widgren

geez

Post by john widgren »

Did Bud Charleston Know Buddy Emmonds?
Steel Guitar Services:
Live performance and recording. Instruments, repairs and lessons. Fresh bait/discount sushi.
(203) 858-8498
widcj@hotmail.com
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Who's Buddy Emmonds?
Erv
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Buddy Charleston's first cousin.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Do you think Buddy Charleton and Buddy Emmons could be related? :roll:
Erv
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Textbook Emmons guitar tone!
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

Why can't bands today dress nice like E.T.'s band.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

They'd look too country. :roll:
Erv
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

This is a great clip. Says this is from 1968, which looks correct. Note the wood-necked Emmons p/p with an apparently covered-up name plate, which I presume has a bolt-on changer like every other wood-necked Emmons p/p I've seen. I have one of Buddy's wood-necked push pulls, red/orange-burst lacquer body but otherwise looks exactly like this. I think the wood-necked bolt-on push pulls I've played have a distinctive tone, I love mine.

I saw ET a number of times, starting in the early-mid 70s. I know he sang flat a lot, but I think even that was not totally consistent - there were times I saw him when he was in good voice. Regardless, I personally love his voice, the word authentic slaps me in the face.
Gene Tani

Re: geez

Post by Gene Tani »

john widgren wrote:Did Bud Charleston Know Buddy Emmonds?
He certainly knew of Buddy E, he succeeded Buddy E in the band: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Tubb

and then he inspired Buddy Cage http://www.thecoolgroove.com/cage.html
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

It appears that not everyone has their humor dial on the same setting
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I love those hats. Giant crispy taco shells!

:lol:
Lee, from South Texas - Down On The Rio Grande

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
David Zornes

Buddy Charleton’s Tone

Post by David Zornes »

I think what set Ernest apart and what makes him so endearing today is, and we agree that he sung flat and sharp, was a myriad of factors: 1. He and the band members dressed like country royalty; and that was what people paid to see. 2. He had the “hottest” band in country music-hands down! 3. He stayed after the show until everyone who asked for an autograph or picture got one. 4. The sincerity of his talent showed through in every song. 6. The price for an Ernest Tubb show was comparatively reasonable to others in the business. 7. And of course, it didn’t hurt to have one of the most popular country t.v shows.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Buddy Charlton did indeed know Buddy Emmons quite well. When taking lessons from BC at Billy Cooper's shop, if there was no lesson scheduled immediately after mine he would share some experiences regarding his time with the Ernest Tubb band and also about Buddy Emmons.
Slim Heilpern

Post by Slim Heilpern »

Love this. And check out that Ampeg fretless scroll bass -- don't see those very often.
Chromatic Harmonica, Guitar, and Pedal Steel (Williams U12 Series 700, Emmons lap)
http://slimandpenny.com
john widgren

Ugh

Post by john widgren »

Ugh! Never mind...
Steel Guitar Services:
Live performance and recording. Instruments, repairs and lessons. Fresh bait/discount sushi.
(203) 858-8498
widcj@hotmail.com
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

worth mentioning this clip was recorded in the late 60s, some 25 years after ET's first big hits... not the best example of the man's singing.

but Ernest himself knew he wasn't a particularly great singer and actually attributed much of his success to the idea that many of his fans liked him because they "could sing it just as good". I'm sure his humility and sense of humor also played a part in his success :)

the guys look and sound fantastic here. any idea why Buddy C covered up the Emmons logo on his guitar? or what he covered it with?
Last edited by scott murray on 4 Oct 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
John Hopkin

hmmmmm....

Post by John Hopkin »

who is buddy charleston?

who is buddy charlton?...
...honk if you've never seen an uzi fired out of a car window...

Mullen RP, MSA, Sho-Bud Pro II, Yamaha keyboards, MalletKat vibes
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

I go by Buddy Charlatan
Mitch Ellis

Re: Buddy Charleton’s Tone

Post by Mitch Ellis »

David Zornes wrote:I think what set Ernest apart and what makes him so endearing today is, and we agree that he sung flat and sharp, was a myriad of factors: 1. He and the band members dressed like country royalty; and that was what people paid to see. 2. He had the “hottest” band in country music-hands down! 3. He stayed after the show until everyone who asked for an autograph or picture got one. 4. The sincerity of his talent showed through in every song. 6. The price for an Ernest Tubb show was comparatively reasonable to others in the business. 7. And of course, it didn’t hurt to have one of the most popular country t.v shows.
I agree. And from what I've heard, he had class and was a gentleman. He certainly had style. He had a career that lasted about half a century, a voice that was instantly recognizable, and became a country music legend. And he did it all singing a little off key. :)

Mitch
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I didn't mean to ruffle feathers with my criticism of ET's voice. I suppose I need to remember that he was an 'institution' and loved by many.

Growing up in Britain I wasn't aware of him and it wasn't until I became interested in steel guitar and its more highly renowned players that the Troubadours got my attention (for obvious reasons). Therefore my impressions of Ernest are purely a reaction to what I hear. I simply can't enjoy his vocals, as out-of-tune as they are.

George Jones, Lefty, Haggard, Randy Travis? They're another story!
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I really preferred Charleton's sound playing Sho~Buds. When he switched to Emmons (which was very near the end of his stint with ET), there was something that was just "missing" from his playing, and he sounded too much like everyone else in Nashville (the many players who were also playing Emmons guitars). After he played the Emmons for awhile, he even said he preferred it, but some (like myself) longed for the old sounds.

I suppose this has something to do with my personal desire for variety. Yes, the Emmons guitars sound great. But like today's ubiquitous crunchy Telecaster, they became overused, and sounded almost trite after awhile. It's sorta like the "hillbilly/southern twang" that all the top country vocalists these days seem to have drifted towards. IMHO, that's one of the reasons that individuality in sound and presentation has really gone downhill. Everything in mainstream country music looks and sounds pretty much the same...and that's by design. :?

Say what you will about Tubb, Price, Pierce, Owens, and most of the popular country singers of the golden age of country music. There was no mistaking who was singing, and they didn't endeavor to sound alike or copy each other.