Question for Ricky Davis and Other Sho-Bud heavy weights

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Igor Fiksman

Question for Ricky Davis and Other Sho-Bud heavy weights

Post by Igor Fiksman »

I'm restoring a much played much loved old Sho-Bud "The Professional" D10 which has original 8pedal by 3 knee lever rack and barrel system. This will be a complete disassemble/refinish/ polish all the parts job. This guitar has history and I want to take my time and make it a perfect dream guitar. Here's my question: I have nearly enough parts to convert it from original rack and barrel to slightly newer early Pro II barrels behind 2 hole pullers system which a lot of folks claim is the best sounding sho-bud mechanism around. Obviously original 1 raise / 1 lower will work with either system. As far as swapping racks for cross shafts - it seems primarily a question of spacing things properly. Would you make this change? Would you keep rack and barrel system? Is there a technical complexity I am not aware of that would make this change more difficult than it appears?
Any input is appreciated.
SHO-BUD Professional SD-10 Black, SHO-BUD Pro III Custom D-10 Red, Goodrich Matchbox 6A, Steeler's Choice seat, Quilter Steelaire Amps.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Yes indeed I would make this change. I prefer the two hole pullers on crossbars to pull the barrels, then the racks, no question.
Yes very easy to space. Just leave the pedal stops on front apron to line up your new crossbars; as you can hang the pedal rods down start with pedal 1 and it will hook on and you can see if rod is straight and crossbar his stop proper...and brackets are at both ends of crossbar and mark your holes to drill with pencil.
After you install all crossbars....then one knee lever assemble at a time...you will need proper linkage to pull the knee lever bracket to crossbar. Any little things like that can be gotten from Michael Yahl at www.psgparts.com as me and Michael have already gone over all of those parts/pieces/springs/half stops...etc.....needed to do this turnaround....
Have fun; and enjoy.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Igor Fiksman

Post by Igor Fiksman »

Thanks Ricky! You're the man! I think I have everything required sans a knee lever assembly or two, and I'm sure Michael will have what's missing. I even still have a few of the late James Morehead's parts in my stash. You are giving me the courage to upconvert this beast. Cheers!
SHO-BUD Professional SD-10 Black, SHO-BUD Pro III Custom D-10 Red, Goodrich Matchbox 6A, Steeler's Choice seat, Quilter Steelaire Amps.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Awesome Igor; go for it. If you run into any probs or questions; snap a pic and send to my email>
sshawaiian@austin.rr.com
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

I would think the new crossbars would be in pretty much the same places as the old ones were, but follow Ricky's advice...he's the SB heavyweight.
Good luck... hat's off to ya. Post some pics along the way...
Igor Fiksman

Post by Igor Fiksman »

Thanks, fellas! I will definitely document my restoration project and post some pics. I still have a few parts to collect and will start taking things apart once I have everything I need.