LKV X J Lever Lower Bs full tone down to A

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Trevor Marshall

LKV X J Lever Lower Bs full tone down to A

Post by Trevor Marshall »

Reposted with more meaningful title...

I have a Bennett D10 8+6 which now sounds better than ever following overhaul & new revised copedent below. I'm using Lehle volume pedal into my JBL U/L Fender Twin Reverb & Peavey Session 500 in stereo. I haven't seen exactly my new copedent (although it's based on so many like Buddy Emmons, Paul Franklin, Tommy White (who posted that his listed copedent has a minor error & RKL lowers both Bs to A) etc.

This gave me the idea to put a similar B to A change on mine except using LKV/X, extending the existing 5 & 10 B to -A# lowers on down to --A. So far this works great for me even combining vertical lever with B pedal together with E or F levers all on left leg! I can find almost no examples of this. Why isn't this popular?

It's still possible to get the A# in the middle, (although it takes more practice) but going down to A seems to add so much in new voicings & low root open A chords! You can also get A5/6/b7 boogie riffs using 10 with 8/7/6 strings! I know it doubles one of the open A notes already on B pedal but also facilitates more unison/contrary motion bends, Franklin pedal licks & useful chord voicings just with a tuning adjustment to the B lowers.

I also put 6 G# to F# on RKR/D which also splits to G with B pedal for open E to Em, A to A7 etc. although I realise there are nice ways to get those moving down 2 frets too. I put this 6 lower together with the 2&9 lowers to C# on RKR/D for split Franklin pedal sound. They seem to work together in a complementary way so far (without adding even more pedal/levers/complexity)... I think I've found the ultimate copedent (until somebody puts me straight) haha!

Is this a good idea or have I missed something to explain why almost nobody seems to do this? Thanks for any input.
Trev

Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

What's "standard" is becoming increasingly difficult to define. I've had the B-A change almost forever, and I use it mostly for copping straight guitar licks, like the Don Rich stuff on Buck Owens songs, or just moving harmonies. It's all in what you prefer, or what you're willing to lose, when you add something different. I don't lower the 6th a full tone, or raise the first a full tone, and I've had guys say flat out they couldn't or wouldn't play without those changes.