2 Questions

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

J Hill

2 Questions

Post by J Hill »

Hello,

I'm worried. Have any of you ever experienced this. I'm tracking a UPS package from NY and yesterday morning (40 hours ago) it said the package had been scanned out of a town in Illinois. It hasn't updated since...and its "scheduled" to arrive tomorrow here in Colorado. Have any of you ever had a "tracking" that didn't seem to track? Or does this mean the truck got lost or the package is probably stolen.

Question 2 - What do you guys use to keep the dust off your fretboards. Got any ingenious ideas?

Thanks!

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Leila Tuttle on 31 January 2006 at 09:18 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

Leila, I can't count the times UPS has been 48 hrs. behind on their, (my) tracking #'s.After a while you just get used to it.As long as it was headed to the correct address. You should be fine.

Now about those fretboards. I thought they were supposed to be dusty. Image Mine always are. Best of luck to you......bb<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bobby Boggs on 31 January 2006 at 09:30 PM.]</p></FONT>
Michael Lee Allen

Post by Michael Lee Allen »

DELETED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 26 Feb 2011 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Yes, on numerous occasions the package arrived before the tracking system ever showed it reaching any interim switching points. Go figure.

As for dust, I bought a nifty little stick with a flat piece of fuzzy cloth wrapped around it, for a few bucks at the Dallas show a few years ago. I think they were being sold by one of the players; I can't remember who right now but it'll come to me...
Billy Carr
Restricted

Post by Billy Carr »

I use a small paint brush with soft bristles to wipe dust off of mine sometimes. Q-Tips seem to work real good around the pick up.
Gene H. Brown

Post by Gene H. Brown »

Just throw a bucket of soapy water on it and let it dry naturally, better tone that way,ha!

------------------
If You Keep Pickin That Thing, It'll Never Heal!
;)

David Mason

Post by David Mason »

2 (?) A piece of a t-shirt 5.25" by 17.5", it kind of rolls up and you poke one end under with your finger and swoosh it along. The brown ones work better.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by David Mason on 31 January 2006 at 11:38 PM.]</p></FONT>
Peter

Post by Peter »

A soft, brand new 3 inch paintbrush works well.
Also in the keyhead...and other places of the guitar.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Peter on 01 February 2006 at 12:58 AM.]</p></FONT>
John Daugherty

Post by John Daugherty »

Any piece cloth.

------------------
www.phelpscountychoppers.com/steelguitar

CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Get the Steel Guitar Rag, Leila

from Fo'bro' Tommy Minniear
he's got'em Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 01 February 2006 at 06:29 AM.]</p></FONT>
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Usually, when my steel would be set up at a club for an 'extended' tour of duty, a fellow picker would somehow always happen to sneak by and leave a finger-width trail through the accumulated dust on the fretboard, causing me to have to clean the whole damn top of the steel .... It became a trick we used play on each other back in the 80's when we all had steady gigs.
R. D. Miller

Post by R. D. Miller »

A Holiday Inn towel laid over the top of your steel helps keep it clean . . . oops! Image
J Hill

Post by J Hill »

Boy, you guys make me feel so much better! Misery loves company you know. I'm glad you've had the same miserable experience and things turned out okay. Image

When I checked UPS tracking early this morning it actually had NEW information...it showed that it ARRIVED and was 'Out for Delivery". Whew! It should be here in a couple of hours.

As for the dust, I enjoyed reading your suggestions. You sort of think like I do. Now what one of you said is what I do to mine and other people's guitars, I swipe my finger across as much of the fretboard as it will reach, leaving it half clean. Then I sit there trying to figure out how I can clean the rest w/o moving. Its just not gonna happen. Okay, I'm going to cut up one of my husbands T-shirts. That ought to work great!

Crowbear...is that Steel Guitar Rag a rag or a song? Image

Thanks! I'll report back if the package really does get here.

Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

I have a clean 3 inch paint brush dedicated to dusting my fretboards.

I trimed the bristles to about half the length shown here. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Joey Ace on 01 February 2006 at 12:20 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Eaton

Post by Jim Eaton »

Reece told me once that the reason that the keyheads on the SS model MSA guitars were open on the end was so you could get in there with a brush and get the dust out.
JE:-)>
Joy Wofford

Post by Joy Wofford »

Hi Leila
Great thing for getting under your strings is one of those long fuzzy things that music shops carry for cleaning out (drying, actually)spit from a horn...yes, sounds gross, but people that play horns have to do that. Anyway, this thing is about a foot long, and fuzzy, made out of soft cotton fibers and it's got something running thru the center of it to stiffen it . I use it to clean under autoharp strings, and they are much closer to the "board" than steel strings are. It works great.
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

I have a cute, petite little Oriental gal come in each Wednesday and dust mine off. It works great for me. She only has one leg and her name is "IRENE".
J Hill

Post by J Hill »

This could get costly. I think I'll just take one of those foot long fuzzy things that cleans spit off horns. Or a red paint brush. Yea.

J Hill

Post by J Hill »

Oh I forgot to tell you. The package got here late today just fine. Thanks for all the good consolation! It eased my mind.

Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

My wife bought me this little thing for dusting made by the "Swiffer" people.
Its a hand duster with a little plastic handle and about an 8" dusting surface.Has
these little throw away dusting cloths. Works great! I believe its called the "Swiffer Duster"

------------------
SHO~BUDS,FENDER AMPS& GUITARS, TUT TAYLOR RESO'S

"What a long, strange trip it's been"

David Wren

Post by David Wren »

I get remnants of nice nagahyde and hand stitch covers.... but there are some awesome offer for covers on this forum.

------------------
Dave Wren
'95Carter S12-E9/B6,7X7; Twin Session 500s; Hilton Pedal; Black Box
www.ameechapman.com

CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Leila, it's a tune & a rag as well
Fo'bro' Tommy Minniaer sells them Steel Guitar Rags
his email ; picksnadbar@hotmail.com

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 02 February 2006 at 02:18 AM.]</p></FONT>
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Ask IRENE what happened to her other leg some day, Ray. Hoo-boy, those were the days....
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

I have a cover that I keep on my steel that I made from a large Turkish~Towel and you know, that don't keep the dust from transferring to the top of my steel when it's just sitting around! Most discouraging for me! However, I've been carrying a long, soft~bristle paint~brush in my Pac-a-seaT for years. And occasionally I actually use it to remove the dust from the entire top of the guitar. Whenever I change strings I also give the entire top of the steel a good cleaning and polishing where needed.

------------------
“Big John”
a.k.a. {Keoni Nui}
’05 D–10 Derby
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15”
Current Equipment

Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

A piece of flannel wrapped around a wooden paint stick/stirrer is what I use, gonna try the paintbrush on the keyhead trick.

Bill