Is Joe Wright Really Quitting Steel Shows

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Billy Carr
Restricted

PSG shows

Post by Billy Carr »

I'm not putting anyone down here but here's my opinion on the steel shows. Having too many big name players on a show that need to be paid for hotels, fuel expenses and the show itself can erase any profits quick. I believe having big name players is fine but not all at once on one show. Local people will usually turn out for the shows if local players are on the playlist. Average folks don't know much about steel guitars or the history of the instrument and most don't care. There looking to attend a show and have a good time with people they know. A few big name players can add a little excitement for the show also. We've lost some of our favorite steel show pleasers but luckily we still have several to draw from. Steel guitar goes through phases just like everything else does. PSG has many, many supporters and we'll continue to showcase the instrument every chance we get. Show promoters have to stay within a budget on each show and that simply means bring in big players but not to many. Local players are who'll fill up a show. I've seen this first hand. Thanks.
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

Personality and attitude go a loooonnng way in the music business!
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

My admiration for Joe is such that watching him many years ago made me decide to get a U-12. I talked to Don Christensen (spelling) at Sierra and he gave me Joe's home phone number and we had a great conversation. My first U-12 was a white keyless Siearra just like Joe's and I had all his instructional material.

Sometimes you have to take the fork in the road that is less traveled. Good luck Joe....
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Ray Harrison wrote:Due to his comedy, once again, the shows want him to close or play really late and no one gets to hear him actually play so, therefore no sales on CD's or lesson programs.
That Ray or else they stay and hear him but by the time he gets offstage they have already left. A few years ago Russ Hicks convinced me to let one of the locals close so my featured players could sell product.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

FWIW, Joe is listed as playing this year's ISGC, and also headlining the Irish Steel Guitar show in the fall...
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

Ill be playing on the Dublin Show this year..It just so happens I was in the neighborhood..lol...I know Joe is the headliner.....We all know what type of player/musician the man is...The market just isn't there...we need to MAKE A NEW MARKET..........:-)
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

I don't blame Joe or anyone else for realizing the facts of life.

Earnest Bovine wrote:

What happened to art for art's sake?

Yeah well - let's make art for art's sake and let's make some money fer christ sake....
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Please don't blaspheme.
Tom Gorr

Post by Tom Gorr »

Mickey Adams wrote:...The market just isn't there...we need to MAKE A NEW MARKET..........:-)
exactly...Even 80s glam metal guitarists found a way to survive...
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Would you work your "day job", and lose money?
Motel, gas, groceries...bottom line.
Gonna miss Joe.
Bill
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
David Mitchell

Post by David Mitchell »

Deleted
Last edited by David Mitchell on 26 Aug 2019 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Krumel

playing to please other steelers to excess.

Post by Joe Krumel »

well stated David.
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

Deleted
Last edited by Don R Brown on 27 Aug 2019 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Many play better than I do. Nobody has more fun.
David Mitchell

Post by David Mitchell »

Deleted
Last edited by David Mitchell on 26 Aug 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

Sometimes I think justice would be better served if they were to allow the victim and a few friends about 5 minutes in a locked room with the perp.
Many play better than I do. Nobody has more fun.
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

Got sucked in by and off topic post. The poster deleted his. So I've done the same. Apologies I should know better.
Last edited by Bobby Boggs on 26 Aug 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Keller

Post by Tom Keller »

Has Joe Wright stopped playing steel guitar shows? Which is the title of this post.
Greg Lambert

Post by Greg Lambert »

Jim Cohen wrote:
Jerry Hayes wrote:...Back years ago in SoCal I was working with fellow Forumite (Jim Bob Sedgwick) who told me these words of wisdom".. "A Star is just somebody who's not good enough to be a sideman"... Thank about it, how many times have you seen this proven true
Sure, we've seen folks like that, but there are also lots of examples of stars who were absolutely good enough to be sidemen, and many who were. For example, just off the top of my head:

Chet Atkins
Glen Campbell
Jerry Reed
Barbara Mandrell
Ricky Skaggs
Marty Stuart
Junior Brown
Brad Paisley
Albert Lee

While Jim C. has not made the stardom status { at least that I have heard of } ,he perfectly fits in the category of "Great Sidemen".

Just listen to his recordings. Those licks Jim makes are not just 3 chords and a cloud of dust , they are a well delivered combination of ear Candy. 8)
David Mitchell

Post by David Mitchell »

Deleted
Last edited by David Mitchell on 26 Aug 2019 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

deleted.
Last edited by Bobby Boggs on 26 Aug 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Mitchell

Post by David Mitchell »

Deleted
Last edited by David Mitchell on 26 Aug 2019 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ajm

Post by ajm »

Greg Lambert: "While Jim C. has not made the stardom status......"

Who is Jim C?
Do you mean Jim Cohen? The one who last posted on this recently resurrected topic, let's see...........FOUR years ago?

Tom Keller: "Has Joe Wright stopped playing steel guitar shows? Which is the title of this post."

That's odd. I was just thinking the same thing. I guess you and I are in the minority here.
David Mitchell

Post by David Mitchell »

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of resurrecting an old thread.
David
Greg Lambert

Post by Greg Lambert »

ajm wrote:Greg Lambert: "While Jim C. has not made the stardom status......"

Who is Jim C?
Do you mean Jim Cohen? The one who last posted on this recently resurrected topic, let's see...........FOUR years ago?

Tom Keller: "Has Joe Wright stopped playing steel guitar shows? Which is the title of this post."

That's odd. I was just thinking the same thing. I guess you and I are in the minority here.
I can read music , tab sheets , internet topics and the newspaper... But obviously not the dates on these posts. :lol: Wow , thanks for the observation ajm... No wonder I miss some chords in our band.
ajm

Post by ajm »

David Mitchell: To be fair, even though you deleted your posts, I believe that you did in fact state in your initial "resurrection" post that you were digging up an old post. Which is something that very few people do. Thank you for that. I don't believe that you need to apologize for anything.

Several people, for whatever reason, did not read that statement that you included.

And by the way, yours was only 4 years since the previous post. That is by no means the record. I seem to recall a couple that were 8-9 years dormant, then suddenly revived.