How to Learn?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Lester Mabry

How to Learn?

Post by Lester Mabry »

I have been practicing an instrument for a couple of years now and hit a huge roadblock (my fingers aren't fitting.)

I am in the process of buying a pedal steel now, but I am wondering if I am going to be able to do this without live lessons. Has anyone here learned how to play without a teacher?

Also, are there any online resources that have material to learn from? I have looked, but I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks for any help!
Mike Bacciarini

Post by Mike Bacciarini »

Hi Lester. Live instruction with the interaction is by far the best way to learn, but many of us started out on our own. When I started, it was with an old MSA Semi-Classic S-10 4+2 and a bar. That's all... no fingerpicks, no amp. Just a flat pick and a stack of Poco records. I concentrated on strings 5,6,7,8 and figured out what the pedals and levers would do, then began adding in the other strings. There is a ton of great instructional material through the Forum and on the web, so I imagine it can be much better now to learn on your own than "back in the day". Try this for starters:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=329975

Still, if you can find someone in your area, it should speed things up and save some frustration. Good luck and have fun!
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.
Justin Emmert

Post by Justin Emmert »

1. Get a live teacher for at least the first 6 lessons if you can.

2. Subscribe to the Paul Franklin Method online.

It really helps if you have some previous musical experience and understand the basics like notes, chords, time signatures. If you don't know any of this stuff, there are music appreciation and music theories for dummies courses and books.
Lester Mabry

Post by Lester Mabry »

Unfortaunely, I won't be able to get a teacher or pay for that website. Am I wasting my time?
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

Lester,
A face to face instructor is a great way to learn, but, thanks to this forum and the internet there are several guys teaching all kinds of stuff. Paul Franklin has an online course as do others. So much info can be gotten off the internet.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Lester, what instrument have you been practicing with?

How I wish you were nearby; I like helping others to get started with a couple of informal (gratis) lessons. Try to find a someone who plays nearby, and go and see them, watch them, talk to them. Someone may be willing to help get you started, or lead you to someone who will. Just start out with easy songs...stuff like "Born To Lose", "Silent Night", or "Release Me". These, and many other simple songs, can be played just fine with a bare-bones 3+1 setup. Although it's nice to have a "loaded" pro guitar or a fancy student model, you can have fun and learn the basics on just about anything.

Mickey Adams has tons of videos on YouTube, and though most are for intermediate players, a few show simple stuff.
Lester Mabry

Post by Lester Mabry »

Hey Donny,

I have been practicing the violin for 2 years without a teacher but I ran into a huge roadblock where I wasn't able to get my fingers close enough together to hit the note for proper intonation.

Steel guitar was always my favorite sounding instrument, so I decided I would get one, since I was having so much trouble with the violin. Unfortunately, that leaves me with no money for lessons for either instrument because I am changing professions and have no income for a while.

I sure appreciate your sentiments. Trying to figure out what to do here is really causing me a lot of grief.
Richard Stoops

How to learn?

Post by Richard Stoops »

Try youtube.com. There is a wealth of information there on pedal steel. Basic lessons are available just for the watching. They should at least get you started. I got started with lap steel that way and although I have an instructor for pedal steel, the basic lessons also help in the learning process easier.
Emmons and Rittenberry Steel guitars plus assorted 6 string guitars
Bob Bestor

Post by Bob Bestor »

Keep on truckin'
Tom Dillon

Post by Tom Dillon »

Lester, check into Steelin' Techniques, by William Litaker. Weekly lessons with lots of useful stuff. Great pricing. Worked for me to get off the starting line.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... 78f9d36813
Michael Yahl

Post by Michael Yahl »

Hey Lester,

Where in Texas are you located? There are lots of guys and Steel Guitar organizations in most of the large metro areas.

Many of them are here on the forum. Once we find out where you're located we can point you to the nearest resources.

Michael
"Don't fergit to kiss yer horse!"
'72 Sho-Bud Professional D10, (in pieces .....), '78 MSA Classic XL D10, '74 MSA Classic D12, Fender 2000
Peavey Session 500 BW, Crate Digital Modeling Amp

PSG PARTS
http://www.psgparts.com/
Rich Gardner

Post by Rich Gardner »

After playing lap steel for fifty some years, I bought a Stage One steel and Scotty's instruction book. It's been a fun journey for the past 6 years.
Lester Mabry

Post by Lester Mabry »

Hey Michael,

I am in Conroe. :)
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

I went to my public library and got instructional DVDs by Bruce Bouton and Rob Haines, and the Winston/Keith book. If your library doesn't have any PSG material, ask about inter library lending, they seem to not want to publicicze the fact that it's available.

There's a lot of good lessons on youtube, Mickey Adams, Paul Franklin, you will have to get tuning info that's specific to your instrument. maybe you can borrow a strobe tuner, most people seem to use Petersons but there are others, and Sid Hudson's tuning system, you can search for Steel Forum posting on that.
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
James Quillian

Post by James Quillian »

I don't know of one person who ended up playing an instrument fairly well who started out by taking lessons.
I am sure there are some but I can't think of any.
Most people who start playing just don't practice enough and expect too much from too little effort.

Things like coordination take a lot of discipline to develop.

There just isn't a magical way to learn to play a musical instrument.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Seat time, determination and willingness to learn. Lots of free info on you tube online. Join the local steel guitar clubs and find people who play. The players will know where to find more information and resources. It's a wonderful journey.
Michael Yahl

Post by Michael Yahl »

Lester, here's a link to info here on the forum.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=347751

This club meets in Sealy once a month and is only an hour from you. There you'll meet a lot of guys from the Houston metro area, hear some great playing, and make some steel playing friends. They will be able to help you on your journey and someone may be willing to provide some free introductory lessons. It would definitely be worth your time to make the trip to a meeting. Besides, Sealy is a pretty little town.
And just FYI to anyone else, Sealy is where Sealy Mattresses began.
"Don't fergit to kiss yer horse!"
'72 Sho-Bud Professional D10, (in pieces .....), '78 MSA Classic XL D10, '74 MSA Classic D12, Fender 2000
Peavey Session 500 BW, Crate Digital Modeling Amp

PSG PARTS
http://www.psgparts.com/
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

If you were near Ft Worth, I'd teach you for free.There are many Youtube video's where various guys teach how to play songs but you really need some one on one lessons so the teacher can make sure you're not developing bad habits that can be hard to undo.
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

Lester
There is a lot of good free stuff online but a real live teacher and someone you can talk to helps.
I can get you some help and practice tracks but this is a difficult task you are undertaking.
Skype is good option.
A setup to play along with or metronome is highly recommended.
Send me a message or email.
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Lester Mabry

Post by Lester Mabry »

I appreciate it guys.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

James Quillian wrote:I don't know of one person who ended up playing an instrument fairly well who started out by taking lessons.
I am sure there are some but I can't think of any.
Try Lloyd Green, Paul Franklin and every other pro level player. Check out the list of full time working pros who started with Buddy Charleton. Guys in Lloyd Green's generation started with those lap lap steel lessons they used to sell door to door.
Bob
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Bob,
I agree with you.
That sure was a dumb statement for someone to make. :whoa:
Erv
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

I think you have learned an important lesson already, with your experience on the violin. You abandoned it because you think your fingers are too big. Well maybe they are bigger than you’d like them to be for that instrument, but it is a roadblock I’m sure many violinists have overcome by advancing their technique beyond the initial frustration. The pedal steel will DEFINITELY hit you with similar difficulties. You will learn how to make your hands and your feet and your knees work with your machine by using your head.
Lester Mabry

Post by Lester Mabry »

I am going to keep going with my violin. Maybe will see you guys in a couple years.

Sure appreciate it. esp @ Fred.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

James Quillian wrote: Most people who start playing just don't practice enough and expect too much from too little effort.

Things like coordination take a lot of discipline to develop.

There just isn't a magical way to learn to play a musical instrument.

James, You are on the money with the last part ! The way I figure it you need to measure your practice time by hours a day and hours a week.
Bob