Bmi

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Knight

Bmi

Post by John Knight »

This must be a great guitar as you hardly ever see them come up for sale. They have a nice web-site although I would have liked a further break down on the pricing.

------------------
D 10 Thomas with 8&6, '61'D-10 Sho-Bud 8&3
S12 Knight 6&4
Nashville 400 and Profex II
81' Fender Twin JBL's
Asleep at the Steel

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by John Knight on 30 January 2006 at 09:27 AM.]</p></FONT>
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I really like BMI guitars, I have two. The first is an early 80s S-10 3+4 with a Lawrence 705. The other is a very early 1975 S-12 universal with a ZB-style white 3-way pickup. They're easy to work on, logically laid out, and sound great, IMO.
Dan Burnham

Post by Dan Burnham »

John,
we are updating the site and will do better in the breakdown. Would you please help me by suggesting what you are looking for.

Dan<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dan Burnham on 15 January 2006 at 07:19 PM.]</p></FONT>
John Knight

Post by John Knight »

Dan sent you an email

------------------
S12 Knight 6&4
81' Fender Twin JBL's
Asleep at the Steel

Luke Morell

Post by Luke Morell »

I have a BMI D10, plays good but weigh a bunch, 80 lbs. in the case. Don't know if newer ones are any lighter.
Dave White

Post by Dave White »

I have an early 80's BMI S-10 black mica. I like its tone and sustain, it stays in tune and seems fairly easy to work on. My only complaint is the cheesy-looking stick-on fretboard.
Steven Black

Post by Steven Black »

I tried to go to BMI's website and got a security dialog box asking for me to generate a user name and password, so I tried to type in a user name and password but still could not visit the site, I did send an e-mail the other day when I could visit the site but never heard anything back from BMI.
Luke Morell

Post by Luke Morell »

Same here Steven, I've emailed, no answer, tried calling, get answering machine.
Pat Burns

Post by Pat Burns »

..BMI's have been under-rated, IMHO. I have 2 D-10 push-pulls, and a D-10 BMI, and I like the tone and feel of the BMI a lot..it's a keeper...
John Knight

Post by John Knight »

Steve and Luke, I think Dan is in the middle of up dating their web-site. I was able to hit the site last week but today after reading your posts I can't. Let's hope Dan has things up and running soon.
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

Just tried to access web site and it ask for a user name and password?????
Hope the new website includes some pics of underneath side of keyless guitars,,,,and I can access it,,,
Calvin Walley

Post by Calvin Walley »

just my opinion but,
if you can't contact them ,what does that say about them ? i mean what if you have a problem are you just stuck?

calvin
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Calvin - not to be argumentative, but all websites go down periodically for various reasons, even the forum's. It doesn't say anything about them other than "the website is down".

I also note that there are steel manufacturers that don't have websites at all. There are other ways to communicate besides the web.

This thread:
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/009734.html

lists contact information for Don Fritsche. Dan Burnham is another contact, his email is listed in his profile.
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

Still can't access the site?????,,,and I had hoped for pics of underneath side,,,,,
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

<SMALL>...must be a great guitar as you hardly ever see them come up for sale.</SMALL>
No, not really. BMI was just never a very popular guitar, and that's the reason there aren't many used ones out there. It's a matter of sheer volume, not quality. The guitars that you see selling a lot used just sold a lot new.
Steven Black

Post by Steven Black »

I still tried to access the BMI website and could not get in, they have a nice weblink to Jammin tracks but now I can not access it through BMI website, I thought it would be up by friday. I will have to call Dan to find out what the lead time is on building a BMI double 10.
Damien Odell

Post by Damien Odell »

Has anyone had any luck contacting BMI lately? I have emailed and called several times but with no response. I have an email address for both Dan and Don, maybe I have the wrong details.
Damien
J Hill

Post by J Hill »

The BMI guys could be at the Arizona Steel Show this weekend. Everybody else is. But me. Poor me.

John Knight

Post by John Knight »

Thanks Donny, that makes a lot of sense. Just tried the BMI website and it is up again. I have always liked playing a BMI, I found them easy and smooth. I have to admit I have only played a couple of the S-10's but still it was pleasent.

------------------
S12 Knight 6&4
81' Fender Twin JBL's
Asleep at the Steel

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by John Knight on 30 January 2006 at 09:32 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by John Knight on 31 January 2006 at 08:58 AM.]</p></FONT>
Damien Odell

Post by Damien Odell »

I just got through to Don by phone. All is well at BMI.
Damien
Steven Black

Post by Steven Black »

Well I finally got to the website, nice guitars, curious of the sound.
Dan Burnham

Post by Dan Burnham »

Sorry for the delay on the site. I've been swamped with everything here lately. BMI is alive and well I can tell you. Don has had so many orders he is back logged. I will have major changes on the site up coming. I do apologize, we are trying to get a little more detailed with specific items like accessories and parts. I don't want to do a full update until all the new changes are made. We are hopeful in adding additional staff to speed up the building process and produce more steels. Thanks again,
Dan
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

Dan,,,some pics of the underneath side of a keyless guitar would be VERY nice,,,and much appreciated,,,,