this has to be Emmons

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joe Krumel

this has to be Emmons

Post by Joe Krumel »

Im sure this has been covered before,but I didnt see it in a search. Anyhow, great early steel with so many nuances of Buddy.Maybe I'm wrong.
https://youtu.be/5cln4vTomnM
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

I would guess that it is Buddy E
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Kind of Mooney-ish.
Joe Krumel

Post by Joe Krumel »

This video clip has the same type sound from Buddy.Both clips have the 2 foot licks with the B,C pedals if my understanding is correct.
https://youtu.be/qnEMOQTh27s
Henry

Buddy & Jimmy TWIN style

Post by Henry »

That was the period that Buddy E and Jimmy Day were more or less alike a "twin" on their instrument. :\
b0b

Post by b0b »

Yeah, Buddy knew all of Moon's tricks, and then some. Nice to hear Willie with a steel. Thanks.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Dave Magram

Post by Dave Magram »

I have Willie Nelson's CD "Crazy--The Demo Sessions" (1960-66) with this version of "Things To Remember".

(Great recording by the way--15 songs with a lot of great steel!)

The liner notes say:
Because these were only demo recordings for pitching new songs, none of the Pamper Music session track sheets for these demos survived.

Further on in the liner notes, it says:
"Based on research and interviews with Willie Nelson...and others, the following musicians are known to have appeared on Pamper demo sessions...
Steel Guitar: Jimmy Day & Buddy Emmons..."

I've heard Jimmy do a fine job playing like Mooney, but I agree with the posters who think it's Buddy on this track.

- Dave
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

b0b wrote:Nice to hear Willie with a steel.
Does anyone have any insight into why Willie largely gave up on steel over 40 years ago? Didn't I read something about a falling out with Jimmy Day?

Nothing quite as disturbing as hearing a harmonica on his recordings since. I'd just as soon hear a torrid ba**o ride.

I've always thought that his best recordings were pre-1970 when he had the FBI haircut---like Waylon being at his peak when he had Carl Smith's haircut.

There are exceptions----great job on steel by whoever is on his 2019 recording of his 50 year old song "Stay Away From Lonely Places".
Darrell Owens

Steel player

Post by Darrell Owens »

IMHO, I think the steel player is Jimmy Day on that cut. Here is my observation, The guitar player at :48 is definitely Chet, and he probably produced this session for Willie. He used Jimmy Day a lot, so for what it’s worth, unless someone knows for sure, I would bet on Jimmy Day.
Zum Steel, Little Walter Amp, Benado Steel Dream
Darrell Owens
www.darrellowens.com
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Sounds like Jimmy to me.
George Duncan Sypert

Post by George Duncan Sypert »

Sounds like Jimmy Day to me. Just going by the tone and style of licks he played. Could be either one but I am going with Jimmy.

George
forrest klott

Post by forrest klott »

My money is on it was Buddy that did this cut. The tone and rapid changes in some passages have E written all over them.
George Duncan Sypert

Post by George Duncan Sypert »

Well I did a search on All Music and did find out that it was in fact Buddy Emmons on that tract. The song was recorded several times and I have not listened to the others but they are probably all different.

George