lessons

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Hausner

lessons

Post by David Hausner »

Ordered my Zum from Doug. Getting an Encore. Been looking around and noticed that Paul Franklin has a site. It is not cheap but I might be able to pay for a year. Is it worth it? Are there other recommended on line lessons or dvd's. Or have I made a bad mistake by getting a pedal steel!
Nicholas Scott

Post by Nicholas Scott »

Hey David,

Paul's lessons are great. If you're just starting out, I definitely recommend Paul's E9 Essentials course. That will keep you busy for a while. I'd also recommend Jeff Newman courses if you can find some used. Mike Sweeney is also putting out some solid instructional material. You can find some info on his lessons at: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... highlight=

For YouTube based stuff I'd recommend checking out Mickey Adams YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Singlpilot

Mickey is a very well respected figure in the pedal steel community. Great guy always willing to help out.

Also, Steel Picking YouTube Channel is great: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHM8uF ... za2nDRsvCQ

William Litaker also offers great lessons:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfBLjs ... cmpChsntog

Let me know if I can be of more assistance. Welcome!
Emmons D10 PP, Peavey Nashville 112, Quilter Steelaire, Goodrich OMNI VP, And Sarno Black Box, Walker Steel Seat
Michael J Thomas

Online lessons

Post by Michael J Thomas »

Saw this online. Has Lessons from Danny Mohammad Wayne Dahl and Eddy Dunlap which are all great players in nashville.website is www.musiccitylicks.com
I checked it out and they are gonna be adding lots of new content by the sounds of it.
Rick Bernauer

Post by Rick Bernauer »

David - it might be good to take a few lessons before trying to go down the pedal steel road alone. I found John McClung to be a friendly and helpful teacher whether you're a beginner or intermediate player. He uses Skype. You can reach him here on the forum or at www.steelguitarlessons.com
Johan Forsman

Post by Johan Forsman »

I can also recommend John McClung. Friendly, helpful, great course material. Skype lessons work well, my vote goes to John!
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Rick and Johan, thanks for the kind referral and recommendation! These gentlemen are both really terrific steelers in the making, a true delight to work with them and watch them quickly develop knowledge and skills.

David, please email me and I'll get you complete info on my teaching. Even if you enroll in the Paul Franklin method course, you can view me as a qualified source for one-on-one real time feedback and personal guidance as you move through the course. I've already done that with a handful of students, and they enjoy running questions and problems past a live instructor.

If you're brand new to steel, I'd recommend starting with the PF Foundations course, it's excellent for any beginner, and less expensive, just $99.

All best,
John McClung
Pedal Steel Lessons, Casuals, Sessions
Olympia, WA 98512
Email & PayPal fees – steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Easy PayPal link: paypal.me/JohnMcClung
Website – http://steelguitarlessons.com
Skype name: professortwang
Cell & text: 310-480-0717
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

I'd say you should have gotten the PSG a lot sooner!

I recently talked to Lynn Stafford (Steel guitar west, Oregon City) about lessons/getting started and he recommended ... John McClung. But depending on where you are, he (LS) may know people that can do it face to face, which would inlcude looking at your instrument, chair, picks, i.e. the whole setup and making modifications.

Also look at recent thread where somebody in PNW was selling an Encore, it seems to be one of the few musical instruments that doesn't depreciate.
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
Gene Tani

your public library

Post by Gene Tani »

I forgot the NO cost option, your libarary. Mine has book by Winnie Winston adn DVD's from Bruce Bouton and Rob Haines, all good learning materials. If yours doesn't have any in its catalog, ask about inter library lending, you can get all kinds of stuff thru ILL but libraries don't seem to publicize that option very much
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
David Hausner

Post by David Hausner »

Thanks for all the feedback. I should be getting my PSG around October and I can't wait!
John Spaulding

Post by John Spaulding »

Hi David -

You can check out all of Paul's courses here: Paul's Courses

FREE Test Drive version of the Method: Test Drive

He also has clips on YouTube

And a blog: Paul's Place

Should help keep you busy until October!

If you are just starting out, the Foundations: E9 Pedal Steel Basics course will get you on the right path and the $99 can be applied to the full Method at any point during your subscription.
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Kerry Johnson

Pedal Steel Coach / Pedal Steel Coaching

Post by Kerry Johnson »