Goodrich volume pedal pot going out??

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gary Jarvis

Goodrich volume pedal pot going out??

Post by Gary Jarvis »

I have a “new to me” Goodrich low profile pedal that has little change in actual volume going from open to closed. It is never near zero volume, and seems to start at maybe 50% and goes up from there. Sound like a pot going bad? Or something else?
Thanks
GJ
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Loose or broken string... open it up, might as well get inside and learn how it works!
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Gary Jarvis

Post by Gary Jarvis »

Should the volume go to zero when in the up position if working properly?
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

May depend on the amount of travel available in the pot. Some units will allow full on to full off while others (if set at full on when pedal is completely depressed) may have a bit of volume present when in the up position. Starting at 50% volume may indicate that the string is not adjusted correctly or that the pulley is loose and slipping on the shaft. Believe that there is a Youtube video available on installing and adjusting a vp pot.
Bobby D. Jones

Goodrich volume pedal pot going out ??

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

From what you are describing. Check the string it may have slipped, Check the set screw it may be loose and not moving the pot consistent.
Check very closely, Is the pot rotating about 320 degrees. I have worked on many volume pedals where someone has installed larger pulleys for the string, this makes them easier to control, But will not allow the 320 degrees required to allow full use from off to full volume.
I have one VP I had to make a washer wide enough for a set screw, to lock it on the shaft. The string actually runs on the shaft itself to get 320 degrees or so of travel. If you use a smaller pulley you may have to adjust the stops to get proper operation.
Hope you get this problem solved and back Happy Steelin.