Zum Encore Day to Emmons

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Kim Cravens

Zum Encore Day to Emmons

Post by Kim Cravens »

Anyone here ever change a Zum Encore from a Day copedent to Emmons? Any extra parts required? :?
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Doug Earnest is the guy with the best answer. Just send him your question, or call him. Nicest guy in the world.
doug@stageonesteelguitars.com
816-809-1360
Al Evans

Re: Zum Encore Day to Emmons

Post by Al Evans »

Kim Cravens wrote:Anyone here ever change a Zum Encore from a Day copedent to Emmons? Any extra parts required? :?
Offhand, it doesn't seem like there would be -- you're just swapping two pedals, each of which already has two puller mechanisms. Sounds like it should be pretty easy.

--Al Evans
2018 MSA Legend, 2018 ZumSteel Encore, 2015 Mullen G2, G&L S-500, G&L ASAT, G&L LB-100, Godin A4 Fretless, Kinscherff High Noon
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

It's really easy:

Kim Cravens

Post by Kim Cravens »

Now that's hilarious!
Dick Hitchcock

Post by Dick Hitchcock »

I was playing a club in Dresser Wisconsin, and I met Al Udeen one night while I was playing there...I asked Al if he would like to sit in, and he did exactly that with my old fingertip, turned the pedal rods around, and played super.. I'll always remember that night 40 some years ago!!
Justice Pro Lite 4x5.... NV112.... Steel seat.
Charley Bond

Day to Emmons

Post by Charley Bond »

We all have a nose & an opinion. I can't imagine why a person would want to do that, unless their copedent was already a mess. For me the Modified Day Copedent is so ergonomically correct.

But, good luck to you...
Steel Guitar players are members of a Special Family
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post by Dan Beller-McKenna »

We all have a nose, an opinion, and ankles. Some folks bend better one way than the other. Hence, Day is better for some, Emmons is better for others.
Pat Chong

Post by Pat Chong »

I guess you would have to change the corresponding knee levers also. Keep track of where the parts go from one pedal to the other (A to C, C to A) and one lever to the other. It should not be too hard.......

...Pat
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Dick Hitchcock wrote:and he did exactly that with my old fingertip, turned the pedal rods around
It works better if you just swap A <-> B, and forget about C:

Kim Cravens

Post by Kim Cravens »

Found an Encore for sale locally with the Day set up. I have Emmons on my Sho Bud.
Al Miller

Crossed up rods

Post by Al Miller »

Back in the day when I first started playing, my dad signed me up for weekly lessons with Buddy Charlton at Oxen hill Music in Oxen hill Maryland . Buddy mostly played an Emmons . I presume his own for the lessons however the store had an old round front sho-bud that his students could use to take the lesson .. it was set up day style .. Buddy crossed the pedal rods like the pics above and away we went . My dad also made some small wood blocks that attached to the A&B pedals some how so I could reach them ..
I was 10 years old when this took place so something’s were not as important as they are to me today but the crossing of pedal rods stuck with me all these years ..
Buddy was a genius in my book ..
Blessings
Boo Miller
AL (BOO) Miller
Mullen D10
76 Emmons P/P
2022 65 Emmons Resound P/P D10
Jason Putnam

Post by Jason Putnam »

It’s easy. The pull rods and bell ranks just swap to different positions. The parts are already there, the just have to be moved.
1967 Emmons Bolt On, 1974 ShoBud Pro 1 3x5,Nashville 112, Quilter TT-12, JOYO Digital Delay, Goodrich Volume Pedal, Livesteel Strings
Danny Letz

Post by Danny Letz »

I changed mine the opposite direction & back again trying to help an older gentleman because his double neck is getting too heavy. He couldn’t get used to the single. I don’t remember having to order any parts. Make yourself a diagram of which rod went in which hole on the bellcrank and the changer according to string number. Take some pictures. Then just move the affected bellcranks on the cross shafts where they need to be & you will know which holes to put the rods in. If you are like me, you’ll probably need a few extra of the little clips & nylon washers. Some pedal & knee lever stop readjusting will prolly be required.
Danny Letz

Post by Danny Letz »

When I got my Encore new at the Dallas show, I needed to change from the stock setup where the E’s lower on lkr to lowering them on rkl. When you do that you will be short one rod cause the original rkl has 3 pulls. You could run into something like that. Doug was real good to get the parts to me. Get a few extra hairpins, nylon washers, tuning nuts & spacers.They have a tendency to evaporate when I’m doing a change over.
Kim Cravens

Post by Kim Cravens »

Thanks guys.

It sounds like with any detailed project, the preparation takes longer than the actual work.

Kim
Brendan Mitchell

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

Earnest Bovine wrote:It's really easy:

THIS