Power Supply For Hilton Standard Volume Pedal

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jerry Berger

Power Supply For Hilton Standard Volume Pedal

Post by Jerry Berger »

What particular brand name power supplies are used for a Hilton Standard Volume Pedal?
Last edited by Jerry Berger on 11 Jul 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Which voltage requirement version? There are several different ones.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Mine is a Phihong PSAA20R - 240

INPUT: AC100 - 240V 50-60HZ 0.5A
OUTPUT: DC24V. O.5A

I believe I got mine at Parts Express. I have had 2 go bad, both on outside gigs, strangely at the same place a year apart.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Gary Newcomb

Post by Gary Newcomb »

I saw a steel player in Nashville last month powering his with a standard 1-spot. I haven’t tried it but it would make life easier for sure. Maybe Keith can weigh in on this subject. Love my Hilton!
Sierra Session U12, Milkman 1/2, Goodrich Omni, Divine Noise Cables, BJS, Solid cosmic gold, baby 👶🏻
Gary Watkins

Post by Gary Watkins »

Negative tip 9 volt power supply, matches most guitar effect voltages. With a hookup cord from your pedal-board manufacturer, you can power the guitar pedal direct without using Hilton's power transformer. The "regular" Hilton pedal requires a 24v (positive tip) power supply.
If you succeed in cheating someone, don't think that the person is a fool. It's just that the person trusted you far more than you deserved.
Richard Sinkler

Gary Watkins wrote:Negative tip 9 volt power supply, matches most guitar effect voltages. With a hookup cord from your pedal-board manufacturer, you can power the guitar pedal direct without using Hilton's power transformer. The "regular" Hilton pedal requires a 24v (positive tip) power supply.
How do you do that?
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

The "Pro Guitar" is made for 6 string players. It is designed to use the "standard" 9VDC.

But the Pedal Steel models use other voltages and there are several different voltages used. I think the early "plug in" power supplies were 12VDC. Later/current model uses 24VDC as Richard notes.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Richard Sinkler

Ahh... Jack... That makes sense. He was asking about a standard pedal and not the Pro Guitar.
Tore Blestrud

Post by Tore Blestrud »

The power supply that comes with the pedal is not relieable. I have had three of them gone bad, two on live gigs 😬. I now carry one extra just in case. Anyone know of a better power supply for this great pedal, let me know.
Emmons D-10 P/P 78", Franklin D-10, Zum Encore. Sho-Bud LDG
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

That's a shame. I have two, one for my Hilton and one for my Telonics (when I'm not running it off the amp) with no problems. But with Chinese quality control I guess it's down to luck.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Richard Sinkler

Tore Blestrud wrote:The power supply that comes with the pedal is not relieable. I have had three of them gone bad, two on live gigs 😬. I now carry one extra just in case. Anyone know of a better power supply for this great pedal, let me know.
I've had 2 go bad. Ironically, both at the same outdoor venue, exactly (more or less) a year apart. Since I sold my backup volume pedal, I need to carry a spare. Have to order one.
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

Power supply was the reason for me to go back to Goodrich ?
Bill
Bobby Nelson

Post by Bobby Nelson »

I bought 2 power supplies when I bought mine. The tiny frail cord is a little concerning. It would be nice to find a more heavy duty one.
Gary Watkins

Post by Gary Watkins »

I'm a "no-body" in the music world, but anytime that I have had a problem, which is far and few , I've contacted Keith Hilton, and he took care of it for me.
If you succeed in cheating someone, don't think that the person is a fool. It's just that the person trusted you far more than you deserved.
Richard Sinkler

Bobby Nelson wrote:I bought 2 power supplies when I bought mine. The tiny frail cord is a little concerning. It would be nice to find a more heavy duty one.
I've never had an issue with the cord. And I have even tripped over it several times.
Bobby Nelson

Post by Bobby Nelson »

I've never had an issue with the cord. And I have even tripped over it several times.
That's good to hear Richard. It's not really an issue for me yet because I don't play out yet. I tend to think like I was on the road, and built my rig accordingly with all bases covered as if I was going to be doing 3 or 4 nights a week. This may be over-thinking it a little, as I seriously doubt I'll ever gig like that again haha.