Is Steel Guitar Fading Away?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

James Mayer
Location: back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)

Post by James Mayer »

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Susan Alcorn wrote:The pedal steel guitar is an amazing and incredibly versatile instrument (a baby of an instrument) which, in the right hands is capable of so much music - so much so that we, including the masters, have barely touched what it is truly capable of. It will be around as long as there are people.

I agree, 100%. What is fading away, or perhaps has already faded away, is classic country. Music has changed over the years. That includes all music in all genres; country, rock, jazz, etc. Songs like SG Rag and A Way TO Survive are no longer relevant. But our instrument is finding new homes, and artists like Susan are getting lots of attention outside of the steel guitar community.
Scroll to the bottom and check out what is going on about a half mile from my house, this weekend.

https://www.spareroomrestaurantandloung ... endar.html
b0b

Post by b0b »

YES!!
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Al Evans

Post by Al Evans »

Nicholas Babin wrote:...Back to the topic at hand though. Regarding the $150/month and saving for a year to get to $1500. That's a year of saving and hoping nothing else comes up. That's a year I'm not playing and learning and spreading the instrument....
But you weren't spending that $5/day on music, just on coffee. Whether something comes up or not, you still have however much you've saved. And you can play whatever you HAVE got in the interim. Ready cash is worth more per unit than any other form of payment! :D

(I am omitting as off-topic a story about a 23-year-old friend who just had to buy a car with an inadequate down payment, though he had known for a couple of years he would need it soon....)

--Al Evans
2018 MSA Legend, 2018 ZumSteel Encore, 2015 Mullen G2, G&L S-500, G&L ASAT, G&L LB-100, Godin A4 Fretless, Kinscherff High Noon
Curt Trisko

Post by Curt Trisko »

Al Evans wrote:But you weren't spending that $5/day on music, just on coffee. Whether something comes up or not, you still have however much you've saved. And you can play whatever you HAVE got in the interim. Ready cash is worth more per unit than any other form of payment! :D

(I am omitting as off-topic a story about a 23-year-old friend who just had to buy a car with an inadequate down payment, though he had known for a couple of years he would need it soon....)

--Al Evans
I think we're coming full circle with that debate. It's true that if a musician really truly wants a pedal steel, that they can find a way to make it happen. It's also true that my experience and the experience of other 'younger' steel players is that we periodically run into other musicians who express an interest in learning pedal steel, but abandon it because of the cost. If the necessary qualification for a younger person of average means to buy a pedal steel is that they must have an obsession with it, then you're going to lose a lot of people that might otherwise take it up.

That has a compounding effect because without seeing more people play pedal steel, it's less likely that it'll get so deep in their head that they feel it's worth sacrificing more down-to-earth purchases to buy one. Like someone said, for the guitar players you know, if they compared the cost of a pedal steel to how many effects pedals and accessories they could buy for the same amount, I think we all know what's going to happen 99% of the time. ;-)
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

About thirty years ago I had to choose between a Gibson J-200 and an ABM steel. They both were the same amount. The steel was affordable as it was not one of the best, the Gibson was ridicously cheap and there will never be a chance to buy it that cheap. I went for the steel. Lately I bought a construction plan for the Gibson Jumbo and try to build it myself.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Joachim Kettner wrote:About thirty years ago I had to choose between a Gibson J-200 and an ABM steel. They both were the same amount. The steel was affordable as it was not one of the best, the Gibson was ridicously cheap and there will never be a chance to buy it that cheap. I went for the steel. Lately I bought a construction plan for the Gibson Jumbo and try to build it myself.
Was it the ABM Rodeo?
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Sorry I can't remember Mike, but I don't think it was a Rodeo. It was a single neck.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

The rodeo was displayed at the NAMM show a few years ago. It had 3 pedals and one knee lever.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
Rich Upright

Post by Rich Upright »

OK; here's the question nobody has asked: Not whether or not steel is fading, but...are people willing to PAY for it? Sure, you can use steel in almost any band (once heard "Stairway to Heaven" played on it) but who else but a traditional country band is willing to PAY a steel player? Half of the calls I get are for start-ups or jams, & I gotta tell 'em...I ain't gonna schlepp 150 lbs of steel,amp,guitars & effects when I ain't getting paid, especially while a clubowner's cash register is ringing.
I know I may be a little bit mercenary, but if I can't make money PLAYING it, I don't even wanna OWN it. Reason I sold my banjo 20 years ago, although I did buy another a couple years backLOL!
A couple D-10s,some vintage guitars & amps, & lotsa junk in the gig bag.
Gary Watkins

Post by Gary Watkins »

Well, I’m not rich, not by a long shot! I am on disability and I only make a little over $1,280.00 each month. After 27 years of marriage, my wife died. I didn’t have time to “get ready” for it, it happened almost overnight. It’s been almost 6 years since she left, and I am just now able to talk about it. Still, at times, I can hear a certain song and it reminds me of her so much that I break down and cry like a little baby. Her death changed EVERYTHING about my life, from the way that I eat to the way that I watch TV. The music equipment that I have has taken me several years of trading, buying and swapping to gather. I have a 26 year old D10, a used Peavey amp, a used Ernie Ball guitar volume pedal and a few music “courses” given to me by a few friends. I am just now starting to try my hand at C6. I will never make one penny playing music, and to tell you the truth, I am probably the worse pedal steel guitar player in the world, but I enjoy it. If I could afford to get Mike Sweeny’s or Paul Franklin’s course, I would, even though I know I’ll never make money playing music. I am saving to get Ron Hogan’s C6 course now, and maybe one or two from Herb Steiner, and that will take me about 6 months. To me, a bad day “playing” music, even as bad as I play, is better than just about doing anything else. I’d give just about anything to be able to get a TELONICS volume pedal or a Hilton volume pedal, a Sarno Black Box, B9 organ machine, amp stand, or just some good tracks, decent guitar cables and some strings. Some people are like me and they will never make any money playing pedal steel. They may have a closet full of effects, and they may never use them, but they are having fun. Will any of this make ME a better player. NO!!! But it will help me pass the lonely days, and I will smile at what I am doing. Heck, I’m smiling now! I don’t care if it does fade away, after all, I’m fading too.
If you succeed in cheating someone, don't think that the person is a fool. It's just that the person trusted you far more than you deserved.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Gary....It doesn’t get any more real than that. More power to you, keep the faith, keep playing your heart out, and thank you for the inspiring comment.
Gary Watkins

Post by Gary Watkins »

Fred Treece wrote:Gary....It doesn’t get any more real than that. More power to you, keep the faith, keep playing your heart out, and thank you for the inspiring comment.
Fred,
I don't know what I said that was an "inspiring comment", but please tell me so I can remember it when I get depressed, LOL. I was just tying to add my two cents to this post. My dream pedal steel guitar is either a Mullen or a Show-Pro. I really like a solid maple cabinet instead of laminate, and I want a SD10 instead of a D10. I am just too sick to try to carry a D10. I've had part of each one of my lungs removed, so I have to watch the weight. Unless I win the lottery, I'll never be able to afford a new steel, but it gives me something to dream about. Just remember, a bad day playing music is better than a good day doing anything else.
If you succeed in cheating someone, don't think that the person is a fool. It's just that the person trusted you far more than you deserved.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Gary, it was the entire statement. When somebody says they play music for the sheer joy of playing it, or that it helps them cope with life’s tragedies and craziness, that strikes me as the most honest and pure reason for doing it.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Gary Watkins wrote: a bad day playing music is better than a good day doing anything else.
YES!
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

As long as we reinvent musicianship within each genres musical shift, everything works out. When we try to stop music from evolving away from what we love, those are some shallow waters.
Gary Watkins

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Gary Watkins »

I don’t know how they got my mailing address, and I don’t know who they are because a return address is not listed, but I just received a Hilton Volume Pedal in the mail. It’s either brand new, or not used much at all, but It is wonderful. Who ever did this, I just want to thank you! Sometimes, life can almost get the better of me, and then something like this happens. At one time in my life, I could help people in this way. You just never know when you will need help. Again, thanks to whoever did this for me. I sure would like to know.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

I don’t know how they got my mailing address, and I don’t know who they are because a return address is not listed, but I just received a Hilton Volume Pedal in the mail.
Well now that is a beautiful thing.
Last edited by Fred Treece on 25 Jun 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

I work all kinds of gigs. Little of those are country.
Larry Ball

Post by Larry Ball »

The Steel Guitar can be taken to every corner of the Music World by players wanting to do so. "Look" at Paul Franklin and Sarah Jory, they are two individuals that have. Paul's ( Eg:Dire Straits Tour). Have a look at Sarah's arrangements (eg: Abba Melody).

The Steel Guitar will always be around "Not" because of record sales, studio demand, or the music of the day. It will be around because it is such an extraordinary instrument to learn and play. It's fantastic tone, beautiful passages, sheer delight in learning a new phrasing that leaves you wanting to get back to it ASAP.

We thank all the Players that have contributed to it's improvements and development over the years. Bud Issac, Day, Emmons, Franklin, etc... the list goes on and on.
Mullen SD10, Sho~Bud SD10 LDG, Show-Pro SD10 LDG, Peavey Nashville 112, Telonic's F100 Multi-Taper Super Pro V/P, too many other guitars, amps and effects to mention.
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

I play with a drummer who said to me recently that in all the years of being a professional drummer (he's in his mid 40's) he said he might have played with two pedal steel players. He's in 5 bands now that all have steel players.
Rick Campbell

Re: Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Rick Campbell »

Gary Watkins wrote:I don’t know how they got my mailing address, and I don’t know who they are because a return address is not listed, but I just received a Hilton Volume Pedal in the mail. It’s either brand new, or not used much at all, but It is wonderful. Who ever did this, I just want to thank you! Sometimes, life can almost get the better of me, and then something like this happens. At one time in my life, I could help people in this way. You just never know when you will need help. Again, thanks to whoever did this for me. I sure would like to know.
That's a most impressive thing. Regardless of what people say, there's still a lot of good people in this world. Maybe Tony Dingus will have another steel jam in the Tri- Cities area and we can all get together and enjoy some music and fellowship. I hope you can attend and play if you want to. Hang in there my friend and don't hesitate to call on us if we can help you.

RC
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

I am changing my opinion. YES Steel guitar is fading away, in fact it's gone !

So please, right now, call me if you own an early Emmons Legrande D10, a brown one, I'll buy it from you for a fair value before you lose to much money. I'm doing you a favor ! :D
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

Will a extra nice one owner 1966 Mahogany Mica, brown belly aluminum necks. 8 x 4 period correct knee levers do the job?
If so. Just PM me. Not a wholesale price. But a very fair private party price.

b.
Terry VunCannon

Post by Terry VunCannon »

Fading away. I hope not. I am trying to spread the word about steel guitar, both pedal and lap styles. I am putting on a new type steel guitar show that combines education & entertainment, with vendors here in NC. I think a new type format for a show that might pull in players as well as music fans. There will be an educational part, with both lap & pedal players, then sets by acts with steel in those bands. Wish me luck guys.