Fair value on a Sho Bud Pro 1

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brandon Dills

Fair value on a Sho Bud Pro 1

Post by Brandon Dills »

I recently rescued what I believe to be a very nice Sho Bud Pro 1. I've played a little lap steel but never a pedal. I would like to find a good home for this where it will be used and appreciated. I tuned it and cleaned it up. To me it has an amazing sound.

I will be putting this unit in the sale section soon. Could somebody give me a ball park on what a fair price would be? Will have many more pics when I put it up for sale. If there are any special angles that you like to see would appreciate tips on that as well.

Thank you for your help!

Dennis Schafer

Post by Dennis Schafer »

I think a hundred bucks would be fair....I'll take it! :lol:
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

well the most important photo's will be the changer ( side view ) and the undeside showing the pull system in detail. Also show the headstock, tuners and roller. Its a nice guitar, popular, and will draw nice attention.

It appears to be a 3+2 ( 3 pedals, 2 knee levers) and that may keep many from a quick buy,as it will cost perhaps an additional 2 to 300 to add 2 more levers. None the less, I feel it will sell in the $1500 +/- range as it sits. Its not a $1000 guitar and it's not a $2000 guitar, so $1500 !

others may disagree, which is fine and typical ! :)
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Brandon Dills

Post by Brandon Dills »

Dennis, I was born at night but not last night! LOL

Tony, thank you for the good information. I am assuming that the second set of levers you mentioned are for the left knee? I used to live in the Mint Hill area for about 6 1/2 years. I was out there when they built the stadium and brought in the Panthers. To bad I'm not still there or I'd let you look at it.

Thanks again.
Ed Boyd

Post by Ed Boyd »

About an year ago I paid $1700 for a very clean Pro 1 with the hardware well polished that I gig with. Its a newer square front Sho-Bud. It has 4 knee levers. I agree with Tony pending the condition of the changer and undercarriage. I like the Sho-Buds with the round front. To me the round front adds value but only having 2 knee levers takes away a chunk of value. $1500 sound like a fair price. But that is just me. I don't know much.
Laquered MSA Classic D10 8+5
Sho-Bud Pro 1
Various Dobro and Banjos
Fender Telecaster Guitars
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Brandon Dills wrote:Dennis, I was born at night but not last night! LOL

Tony, thank you for the good information. I am assuming that the second set of levers you mentioned are for the left knee? I used to live in the Mint Hill area for about 6 1/2 years. I was out there when they built the stadium and brought in the Panthers. To bad I'm not still there or I'd let you look at it.

Thanks again.

Brandon, you are correct, the additional levers would be on the left knee, 2 or maybe 3.

Mint Hill is just up the road from me, well about 30 miles. Long walk, short drive ! :)

What will be important about your Pro I is that it is ( wide pedals) an early Pro I and not from the late 70's . Plus it is a round front body. Gives this Steel a nice edge. The changer and underside will confirm it's heritage.

good luck on the sale

t
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Mark McCornack

Post by Mark McCornack »

Nice looking guitar. It looks a lot like my 6148 that was built is ‘73. Mine didn’t have the Card Suit in the front apron though.
Here are some things I think that potential buyers are going to want to see. When you’re ready to post your ad, consider adding pictures of the following.

Underside full view. End to end.
Full top view, end to end.
Underside highlighting the 3 cross shafts so that mechanism can be seen in better detail (racks, or two-hole bell-cranks?).
Bottom of the changer. Condition of return springs. Oxidation?
End view of changer showing rod ends and condition of endplate.
Top view of bridge and pickup. Any delam on pickup? Show presence or absence.
Gumby head with roller nuts.
Endplate on the tuner side if the guitar.
Any cosmetic blemishes (bar dings, etc)? Most old guitars have something, and it’s good form to highlight any battle scars, even if minor. I’m always suspect of “mint” guitars that are half a century old.

Anyway, that’s the stuff I would be interested in. I’m no expert on PSG appraisal, but it seems to me that the $1500 you were suggested above is probably a good ballpark, based on what I’ve seen historically on the Forum. It’s a desirable vintage guitar, but on the other hand, only two knee levers will be a slight negative. Levers can be added (I did to mine). It was a worthwhile expense for me to make, but not trivial. About $200 per lever in parts after all said and done, and I did all the work on it.

Nice guitar. Good luck! :D