Tony Glover (Little Sun)

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Jack Hanson

Tony Glover (Little Sun)

Post by Jack Hanson »

RIP Tony "Little Sun" Glover. Bluesman, writer, DJ, and human being extraordinaire, passed Wednesday at the age of 79. One of the best ever to come out of my old hometown. You're gonna be missed, Tony.
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

His "Blues Harp" instruction book was about the only thing out there when I started playing harmonica around 1970 and written in a style that really drew me in at the time. Not all of the information was correct but that book provided direction and momentum for a lot of aspiring blues harp players. RIP Tony.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Anyone who touched a mouth organ to their lips after about 1965 or so owes a debt to Tony, whether they realize it or not. When Bobby Zimmerman took off for New York, rumor has it he took along (stole) many of Tony's records -- and Tony was far from pleased. Tony once had a late night radio show in the Twin Cities that he dubbed "Underground." He got kicked off the air for using the "F" word. When the axe fell, Tony headed to New York to retrieve his priceless blues records. Tony's collaboration with Ward Gaines and Scott Dirks is among the best biographies ever written about a bluesman.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

I knew Spider John Koerner’s work better than Tony’s but their work together was great. Every day more and more of my life is dying off. It is going to be a black day when Dylan goes and Ramblin Jack
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I think Dylan was the Bobby Zimmerman Jack was talking about. :roll:
Erv
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Erv Niehaus wrote:I think Dylan was the Bobby Zimmerman Jack was talking about. :roll:
Erv
That is correct, Erv.
Bill McCloskey wrote:I knew Spider John Koerner’s work better than Tony’s but their work together was great.
Agreed. John remains a national treasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_b9aVhWQkE

As Tony said, "It's nice to get recognition for doing something before you die."
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

This post made me dig out the only Little Walter record I have and I tried to figure out the Harry(?) Lockwood guitar licks on it, and it was fun. RIP Mr. Tony Clover.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

It's always good to listen to Little Walter, Joachim. Arguably the harmonica equivalent of the pedal steel world's Buddy Emmons. Many of his later recordings feature Robert (Junior) Lockwood on guitar. (Check your PMs.)
Raymond Bourey

Aw, man....

Post by Raymond Bourey »

Sorry to hear.
Grew up on Tony's book and associated LP in high school in the early '70s. He added a nice dimension to my woodwind playing and I recall a few opportunities to thank him during occasional trips to those tiny Minneapolis clubs. I'd like to think I made him smile once, but probably wishful thinking....
"A good man always knows his limitations..."