Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Cartwright Thompson

Wayne Newton's Stringmaster

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

I stumbled upon this the other day: http://www.timeelect.com/Waynes.htm
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

I remember seeing Wayne playing Steel Guitar Rag with his brother on the Mickey Mouse Club when they were really young. He looked out from under the guitar and between the legs while playing SGR with his arms over his head. Still seems impossible to me !!

Regards, Paul
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Paul Here it comes again.

Back in 1961....Don Randall called me to tell
me he was shipping a truck load of Fender
guitars and amps to my home.

I was to take these instruments to the Ed Sullivan Theatre as there was a group from
the West Coast known as "The Newton Brothers"

I went to the Theatre and first met Jerry Newton and then met this young good looking
kind of like the"kid next door type"

I stayed for the rehearsal ,,,met Ed Sullivan
and watched as Wayne played the hell out of the steel guitar,,,,fiddle,,,,lead guitar and
Jerry played the Fender P.Bass. I have never seen one person play all those instruments as
well as Wayne Newton. He sang pretty good as
well. Image Image

That was their very first appearance ever on National TV. and Wayne and I have been friends ever since. There is more to that story,,,but you know me. So I wont get into the details. When I saw Wayne in Vegas a few years back,,,,he told me,,he would always remember me for the kindness I offered to him
by bringing those Fenders to him.

When Leo started MusicMan up....The first one to ask for a MusicMan amp was Wayne.
He was a loyal friend to Leo Fender. He is one sweetheart of a guy.

Iam not dollar rich,,,,,but I do have many memories of those time's gone by. You can spend the money,,,,,but you cant steal memories. Now that is not too long a story is
IT????? Image
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Jody; That's where I'm at too !! I'm comfortable, got good insurance and so many friends I simply cannot keep up with them all. Someone once told me (Perhaps it was you ??) that the steel guitar world owed me for my early writings and I emphatically rejected that notion.

On the contrary, it is I who owe the steel guitar world for a life time of wonderful music and experiences that I wouldn't trade for anything !! It is the whole of who and what I am. I wouldn't be me if it were any other way.

Now don't you go run and tell b0b, but I have been putting a little money back each month until I get a significant ammount and then I will send it to him to help keep this Steel Guitar Forum working like it does. It is surely a magnificent place to write and learn things that are near and dear to me. I would be remiss if I didn't do my part !

Jody, see you in the Humor section ! Image Image

Regards, Paul
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Paul
It wasn't me that made that comment about anyone or anything oweing you. I just told you
to send Bobbe that $1.00 you borrowed from him back in 1989,,,,he once and awhile brings
that up. Image

I dont go in the "humor section" I dont think
Iam so funny, do you ??? Image Image

I may be off here for awhile,,,,but I'll be
thinking of you.
Gotta do what I gotta do.

Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

I want that guitar,___think he'd sell it? Image That's a 26" scale, Stringmaster.

I saw Johnny Sibert (Tunesmiths) playing one just like this when I was a very young boy,___what a sound!

Rick

Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I have a cousin that used to live in Phoenix. She told me about Wayne Newton being on TV playing the steel guitar. Did he once live in Phoenix and play in a band there?
The curious want to know. Image
Erv
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

* <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 06 May 2002 at 09:08 AM.]</p></FONT>
John Hanusch

Post by John Hanusch »

Did I miss something above, but is this like a left-handed guitar?? I thought maybe the pic was reverse image, but those calipers & printing seem normal. Please forgive if I'm just naive...
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

No John, it isn't a left-handed guitar. The thickest neck is at the bottom of the picture. The Fender decal is missing. The view is from the front of the guitar.

Rick
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Gene
Now I know how old you are Image and btw I received your tape that you recorded years
back with Conway Twitty,,,you certainly played great. Thanks for sending it to me,I
am listening to it as I type this.

Now fellows,,,,,leave Gene alone...I will share his tape with those of you,,but knowing Gene as I do,,,,he is modest and does
not like to be praised. But I will say it.

Gene ,,,,YOU PLAY GREAT..... Image Image I had to beg Gene for this tape,,,so Iam sure he will
keep it a secret,,,but it is no secret that this man plays great. Gene dont get miffed at me,,,I just want all of them to know how
fine a steel player you are. Image I know they know what a fine guy you are,,,but your playing fits your personality,,,Thanks my friend. PS Gene recorded this material 47 years ago,,,and it sounds as good if not better than some of the things I hear today.

Case Closed.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 07 January 2002 at 04:16 PM.]</p></FONT>
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

* <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 06 May 2002 at 09:08 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Gene
You need not to apologize for what you have done. At least you have something to show for your talent and I sure John Hughey would
agree with me.

My ears dont decieve me. Boggs is Boggs,,West
is West,,,Jones is Jones,and Im going to sleep now. Goodnight. "To be Continued" Image
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Jody: I think that goes: East is East and West is West !! Image Image Image

Regards, Paul
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Paul
You are "OFF TOPIC" Image Image Image where can I move this to "geography"??? You know what I meant,,,,are you giving me a hard time??
Image Image,,, have you no respect for your "elders"
???. Image
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Jody: Going back this far into steel guitar history got me to thinking: I don't have anything or any way to show you that I can play a little steel guitar. My first public performance was on a triple neck like this one and my instructor, Johnnie Vaughn, literally picked me up and put me behind it.

I was scared to death and I am very glad no one recorded that. But the other night I made some cassette cuts with a little hand held recorder. I sat it on one of my speaker cabinets and all you can hear is steel and backgound noise. ( I hope the rest of the band never reads this......)

I'll work it down a bit and send you a copy by the US Snail Mail folks. I really wanted you to know I haven't been blowing smoke all these years. If I wanted anyone else to know I guess I could have played all them shows like the Good Guys do but I ain't never ban dat gud !! Image

My Dad used to raise elderberries and make a wine out of them for CHRISTmas. Image

He would say things like respect and regard for elders too and I try to follow his advice. Image

And thats what friends are for. Image

Regards, Paul Image
Fred Layman

Post by Fred Layman »

The late Elmer Ridenhour of Ronoak, VA was Wayne's mentor on steel. Elmer, well-known in US Hawaiian steel circles, passed away a couple years ago.
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Fred I knew Elmer well,,,he was a fine gentleman. And you are 100% right about he and Wayne Newton. Elmer was at the Namm show one year and Wayne was appearing in the main ballroom in the hotel,,,I went with Fred Mc Cord ,,Leo Fender,Forrest White ,,Don Randall and a few others.

Elmer was really a fine man and Leo Fender was
really fond of him,,Wayne came over to our table and sat down,,,,he is a great fellow as
well as a "fantastic entertainer and musician
Thanks for mentioning Elmer,,,I heard he passed away,,,Thanks my friend for bringing
up Elmers name,I will never forget him.

PS Hey Paul,,,,send me your tape,,I know you play good,,,I just want to make sure. Image Image Image edited for spelling,,,I get excited when I think of Paul and I mispell my words,,,, Image Imagesorry <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 08 January 2002 at 09:18 PM.]</p></FONT>
Patti Maxine

Post by Patti Maxine »

Howdy Steelers,
I just came across your discussions of Wayne Newton - the steel and Elmer Ridenhour. I was taking lessons from Elmer at the same time. I was born in Roanoke. Wayne and Jerry were always a bit "ahead" of their musical time I believe in part from the "push" and encouragement of their mother. I think Wayne moved to Arizona for health reasons. Anyway, I got a chance to visit and play music once again with Elmer at his home a few years ago when I was visiting my sister. I have a wonderful picture of us that I treasure and will try to post if I can get a friend to help me do that. I also have a tape Elmer made of himself playing steel. He was perhaps the most encouraging teacher I have been blessed with in my life. It was deeply moving for me to see his name and know that others had the same feelings as I do.
I am still playing in a western swing group - www.saddleupandboogie.com Stop in and say howdy!
Best regards to all,
Patti Maxine
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Hi Patti
I looked at your web site,,,,really enjoyed it. I listened to a few of the tunes as well
really nice.

Elmer was a 'regular" vistor to the Fender
booth at the annual NAMM shows. I first met Elmer back in the very early 1950's his good
friend and Fender sales rep Don Patton first
introduced me to Elmer.

I had many memorable conversations with Elmer
about steel guitar at every show,,Elmer was a
favorite of Leo Fender and Don Randall and every Fender salesman had much respect for
Elmer,,he would often go to dinner with a bunch of us as we accepted him as "family".

I have many many memories of days gone by and
Elmer will always be a part of those cherished memories. Thanks for your nice comments and contributions about Elmer,,,everyone just loved the guy,,and as they say,,,,,"He will be missed by those who have had the good fortune of knowing him as well as I did.

Unfortunatley many of that "family" of Fender
friends are gone,,with the exception of the finest human being I have ever known, Donald D
Randall....your name intrigues me Patty Maxine,,,,if you added La"Verne to that....you would have the (3)Andrews sisters
I'll bet you are every bit as talented as they were.
Be Well and good luck,,,my prayers are with
Elmer,,,,a " one of a kind of fine man"

Jody PS my prayers for a long life are with you as well,,,,IT was Elmer who first introduced me to Wayne and we have been friends ever since....
Gary Harris

Post by Gary Harris »

Wayne Newton is probably the most successful entertainer that can trace his roots to the steel guitar. Barbara Mandrell would probably come in second. The two of them have probably made more money than all the rest combined.
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Amen to that Gary Image
Ron

Post by Ron »

Norman Hamlet taught Barbra Mandrell Steel when she was first starting out. She had some one start her and Norman said she was the fastes learner he had ever seen. He could show her a riff and she could play it the first time. Wayne Newton I belive was on the Jimmy Dean show the first time I saw him and have been in love with him since. We were at Los Vagus and heard him once and I think the show was 1 1/2 or 2 hre long and I thaught it was just 15 minutes. He is Mr Show buisness .

Ron
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

I had the good fortune to meet and play with my dear friend Elmer on a number of occasions. One time, I had a bit of stage fright prior to appearing with my steel and Elmer took me aside, gave me great encouragement and advice. Someone, (above threads) mentioned he was a "gentleman"...this describes him completely. Towards the end of his life, his family asked many of his friends to write something about Elmer to be presented to him in a book as a birthday gift. He was ever so happy with this wonderful present. I miss the guy very much.