Procedure for tuning Universal by ear?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Kenneth Blesy

Procedure for tuning Universal by ear?

Post by Kenneth Blesy »

I have been playing a universal for a little under a year now, but have mainly been using the E9 side of it. I was curious if anyone could share how they temper their universal? Is there a method you can use to get both the B6 and E9 modes in tune using harmonics? I tried searching old threads, but had trouble finding information specific to universals. I like the sweetened sound on E9, but have never owned a double neck. I see that many tune their C6 neck closer to straight up on a tuner. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Here is a link to Larry Bell's web site.

This is the section where he talks about his method of tuning E9/B6 Universal guitars.

Click Here

Be sure to read the other sections. It's a great site.

Lee, from South Texas
Kenneth Blesy

Post by Kenneth Blesy »

Thank you for your reply, that is a great site! Out of curiosity, is there a way that you could tune the 6th changes to just intonation? I understand how tuning to just intonation works on the E9 side (G#'s, C#'s, & E#'s are flat because they are thirds). I'm unfamiliar how you would do this with C6 on a double neck though, since the chords you get by using the pedals are more complex.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

I tune the E9 and B6 changes independently. The C# that the A pedal gives is not the same as that on the B6 P7. I have two kinds of F# and E# too. I have a chart somewhere - I'll look for it.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Kenneth Blesy

Post by Kenneth Blesy »

That would be interesting to see, thank you! What is the reference when tuning pedal 7? It gives you a B Maj9 chord, correct?
Bobby D. Jones

procedure for tuning Univerasal by ear

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

The tuning is I use is Jeff Newman's tuning. It gives the sweetening tuning on every tuning for E9th and B6th strings, Raises and Lowers.

Check here on the forum they have Mr. Newman's 12U copendent with the sweetened tunings in cents for use on most Eletronic tuners.

Good Luck and Happy Steelin.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Here is my chart.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lx460mefm5ljv ... s.mht?dl=0

It shows the pitch ratios of each note relative to a notional low E which isn't actually on the instrument (although some extended tunings might have it), followed by the actual frequency in Hertz. It's derived from an Excel spreadsheet, in which the box with 440 in it can be changed to whatever you like. I can supply the original but would need an e-mail address do to so.

It's probably a lot to take in if you've never seen it before. Meanwhile I need to write a guide on how to use it, i.e. in what order to tune the changes in practice
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

How they temper tune their universal....
It can be a slippery slope.
First tune your E9th to a root note E or A
Any JI tuning starts with a root note lets say B for B6th unless you have perfect pitch.
I would tune E, A, and B to ET or 440 whatever you want to call it.
Start with a B root and compare it to D#/Eb then F# and so on across the strings. You will hit a snag between E9th and B6th on G# unless you have a compensator.
Step on your pedal the lowers 8th string to D and raises 4th string back up to E. Tune these by ear. Same as a C pedal is typically tuned on E9th.
I believe our ears and tuning methods can evolve over time so just go with what sounds okay to you.
Many people including myself drift back towards ET as they evolve with tuning. It helps to play with tracks or live to settle in as opposed to sitting and just analyzing note by note at home. Play a song and see what bugs you.
You can see below when I lower my Es it slightly raises my G#. Same with my E raise lever slightly raises my G# for A/F position. This works for me.
As I said slippery slope.
b0b has a method using F# as a root.
There is no set agreement on this and you are basically on your own. Playing by ear is all you have and Peterson tuners of course.

https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Ken Metcalf wrote:...and Peterson tuners of course.
:)