Knee lever question

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michael May

Knee lever question

Post by Michael May »

Greetings. I am having knee levers installed on my PSG and would appreciate some information about the lever that raises the first and seconds strings to G# and E and the sixth string to F#. Is that a change that is frequently used? Also, how is that lever used - does it give you any particular options for chords or licks? I'm still learning my way around this amazing instrument, so any help is appreciated.
Pete Burak

How to use The Franklin Lever?

Post by Pete Burak »

I have heard this lever is called "The Franklin Lever" (maybe change the title of this thread to Franklin Lever?).
I just installed it last week and the string-6 lower is great for twangin' up the Open Position.
If you combine it with your E lowers, it gives you the Five-chord, at the One-chord open-position.
I look forward to seeing other responces.

This is the open-position G-fret3 version of the typical 10AB Pedal Steel lick.
I am calling this Lever the Franklin Lever "FL" :)
[tab]
4-E 2-3
5-B 3-3A 3 3 3
6-G# 3 3-3FL 3-3FL 3FL--3
7-F#
8-E 3 3
[/tab]

Release that very last 3FL-3 very slowly to get the max twang factor!

Here is the same lick in the G=10A Position:
[tab]
1-F# 10
2-D#
3-G# 10-10B
4-E 10 10 10 10
5-B 10A 10A-10 10A-10 10--10A
6-G# 10B 10B
[/tab]
Last edited by Pete Burak on 4 May 2019 9:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Mathew Peluso

Post by Mathew Peluso »

I have the string 1 and 2 raise on my RKL but recently moved my G# to F# lower over to my vertical. I did this so I could add a F# to G# raise on string 7 to RKL as well. The idea was to keep string 6 unaffected when I want to raise my F#'s for quicker phrases. I can also do a lot of the string 1 raise licks at the lower register. I do miss the the E lower/G# lower 5 chord position, but I just pick strings 4 and 6 then slide back two frets with E's raised if I need that voicing. I made these changes to make the Franklin pedal work on a new steel I have on order. I'm not sure if I'll end up liking the Franklin pedal but it makes more sense to me if the lowers are split between a pedal and a lever. Either way, I'm liking this new copedent and I think it's going to stay.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Lots of examples here with tab that you can listen to:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Tab/E9%201st ... 20Tab.html

I opted to raise the 7th string a whole tone instead of lowering the 6th string a whole tone. YMMV but I feel it is more versatile.
Michael May

Post by Michael May »

Great information. Thanks guys.