computer healers

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Ken Lang

computer healers

Post by Ken Lang »

I have Malwarebytes, Avast and the new totalAV on my computer.,as well as ccleaner. They all claim to do different things. Wat do I really need?
heavily medicated for your safety
Wiz Feinberg

Re: computer healers

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Ken Lang wrote:I have Malwarebytes, Avast and the new totalAV on my computer.,as well as ccleaner. They all claim to do different things. Wat do I really need?
If you are running Windows 10, and it is up to date with all patches and upgrades, Windows Defender and Malwarebytes will do just fine. If you really want to ramp it up a notch, create a new Admin level account, with a password, then demote your everyday account to Standard User. Learn how to live in "Userland" and you will greatly reduce the likelihood of exploitation.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

Got it. I will keep then until they run out, However I believe I will keep ccleaner, simply because I'm lazy.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Have to watch CCleaner as it comes with "crapware" if you are not careful.

I'm using an earlier version to avoid the garbage.

I use the built in Windows Defender for AV and a paid version of Malwarebytes. Haven't needed anything else. I also use my desktop for my recording studio and neither of these interfere. Some AV programs can cause dropouts and latency.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

+1 for the older CCleaner
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Kaspersky is good.
ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Ezekiel 33:7
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

The US Government does not recommend using Kaspersky.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Jack Stoner wrote:The US Government does not recommend using Kaspersky.
Hehe, of course... the same way some of them do not recommend using #45...

ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Ken Lang

Computer Protection

Post by Ken Lang »

How come some come with so much cleaning compatibility. for instance TotalAV which comes with Akamai netsesson interface, Antivirus, System boost, Startup programs, disk cleaner, Web Security, and password Vault amoung other things as you go deeper. AVAST Internet Security which has
Status, Protection, Privacy and preformance. ETC other programs. It sounds like you need 5 different programs to protect your computer.
Godfrey Arthur

Re: Computer Protection

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Ken Lang wrote:How come some come with so much cleaning compatibility. for instance TotalAV which comes with Akamai netsesson interface, Antivirus, System boost, Startup programs, disk cleaner, Web Security, and password Vault amoung other things as you go deeper. AVAST Internet Security which has
Status, Protection, Privacy and performance. ETC other programs. It sounds like you need 5 different programs to protect your computer.
Avast is spyware.

Same way that Gargle and Androids are.

Computers and smart phones need more protection. Problem is it's like the ones you think you can trust are the ones you shouldn't.

Some of these protection software companies are the ones who are putting out the viruses so they can sell software. Oldest trick in the book.

This is why have to keep abreast on these companies because can't tell when they go rogue.
ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!